Current EB OTP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was booked on 8 next Monday. I've been re-routed via SAC and the Zephyr, at no extra cost. No word on compensation yet- customer relations was closed.

Every agent I spoke to confirmed the line will be down for at least a month.
A Month?! When I read that, my head started spinning. I was just starting to relax after doing multiple re-routings of our westbound Florida to Vancouver trip, leaving in less than 2 weeks. Fortunately, this service disruption won't affect our westbound trip, as we are now booked on the SWC and CS.

Our initial plan was to start our trip home on the Empire Builder PDX-CHI, leaving PDX July 18. I've just finished a long phone call with a fantastic AGR rep (Irene), who worked with me to re-route us from SEA to SAC on the CS, connecting to the CZ to CHI, connecting to the Cap.Ltd. to WAS, connecting to the SM home. Bedrooms all the way, as originally booked, except for a Roomette on the CS (we are #1 on the wait list for a bedroom).

I did not want to wait until our July 18 EB was officially on "service disruption" mode to try to work out an alternative route. With my luck, the service disruption wouldn't be announced until we were far up the Alaska coast (and possibly unreachable) and all bedrooms on all alternate routes were already taken. I strongly suggest that anyone who might be affected by the terrible flooding be proactive and look into alternative routing as soon as possible.

Off-topic comment: every AGR rep that I've come in contact with has been top notch. Always courteous, professional, knowledgeable, and empowered to do what it takes to resolve an issue. A+ to all of them!

Well, I got myself out of the EB debacle.

I was able to re-route to the Zephyr out of SAC. I do have to pay for lodging in Sac., but the #14 SAC to PDX refund just about covered that.

I must say that I was treated very speedily and professionally by the Amtrak CR person. She was able to make the re-rout in about 10 min. or less. :rolleyes:

note: I was told there is two roomettes left on the 07/19 #6!

Last edited by a moderator:
Every agent I spoke to confirmed the line will be down for at least a month.

A Month? :huh: Wow. I am ticketed to board the Empire Builder in Chicago on 7/23 to travel to Glacier. I assumed flooding wouldn't be much of a problem by the end of July. I really feel for those poor folks in ND and Montana.
The flooding may be improved but repairing the track damage with a backlog of trains is what will take the month. The slow orders that will be in place for the next while would result in those 16 hour late EB specials. Practically all trains through the area would need to be recrewed and then you start to run short on crews. Based on that, and the News broadcast of the water through Minot tonight, I can see it being a month before the service is sustainable. I just hope the rain stops.

Tonight's network news with Diane Sawyer has a reporter in Minot. He was standing at the base of an earthen (no sandbags) berm with water starting to come over the top. His tag line was that 9 more feet of water was expected!!!!

It looks like Amtrak has found a way to display train status for the truncated runs - the EB has reappeared on the Status Maps.

Mark

Update: trains are gone again - it seems that Amtrak can display status for disrupted trains but often chooses not to.

Yesterday in Minot, ND., the water was starting to come over the BNSF main line bridge with the flood at 1,555.66'! The river is supposed to crest at 1,563.4' and can possibly reach 1,566' because of releasing more water at an up-stream dam.

Greetings from the lobby of the Moore Hotel in Seattle! Took the EB to Seattle on Tuesday. It was 5 1/2 late leaving Spokane, leaving at 7:45 AM. I didn't mind, as I got to see Spokane from the EB during the day for the first time. I could have taken a bus from Spokane that would have gotten me to Seattle on time, but if I have a choice between a late train or bus that gets me there on time, no way am I taking a dang bus!!! Trip went smooth, except for a couple of annoyances, which I will describe in my trip report when I get back home. Tomorrow I take the CS to Portland, and then a bus :angry2: from Portland to Spokane. Guess I should count my blessings in that at least I have access to the EB in Spokane. Unlike the poor folks betweeh Havre and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

From the God Has A Sense Of Humor Dept: :lol: Yesterday I took a whale watching boat cruise on the Victoria Clipper to the San Juan Islands (and did see whales; now I can say I've seen whales without having to look into a full-length mirror!! :lol: :lol: ) Anyway, the boat coming back to Seattle had to turn around, and go back another way, due to: bad weather!!! And was an hour late into Seattle as a result!! Trains, boats.......no matter what I do, I can't seem to avoid poor weather and delays!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Took the Underground Tour this morning, and am now out the door on my way to lunch, the monorail, and Space Needle (now that this morning's clouds and drizzle have ended and it's halfway decent out now). Then to Pike Place market, dinner on the waterfront, and perhaps railfanning at the crossings down by the waterfront. And back home tomorrow, getting in early Saturday.

Until then, carry on!

Greetings from the lobby of the Moore Hotel in Seattle! Took the EB to Seattle on Tuesday. It was 5 1/2 late leaving Spokane, leaving at 7:45 AM. I didn't mind, as I got to see Spokane from the EB during the day for the first time. I could have taken a bus from Spokane that would have gotten me to Seattle on time, but if I have a choice between a late train or bus that gets me there on time, no way am I taking a dang bus!!! Trip went smooth, except for a couple of annoyances, which I will describe in my trip report when I get back home. Tomorrow I take the CS to Portland, and then a bus :angry2: from Portland to Spokane. Guess I should count my blessings in that at least I have access to the EB in Spokane. Unlike the poor folks betweeh Havre and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

From the God Has A Sense Of Humor Dept: :lol: Yesterday I took a whale watching boat cruise on the Victoria Clipper to the San Juan Islands (and did see whales; now I can say I've seen whales without having to look into a full-length mirror!! :lol: :lol: ) Anyway, the boat coming back to Seattle had to turn around, and go back another way, due to: bad weather!!! And was an hour late into Seattle as a result!! Trains, boats.......no matter what I do, I can't seem to avoid poor weather and delays!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Took the Underground Tour this morning, and am now out the door on my way to lunch, the monorail, and Space Needle (now that this morning's clouds and drizzle have ended and it's halfway decent out now). Then to Pike Place market, dinner on the waterfront, and perhaps railfanning at the crossings down by the waterfront. And back home tomorrow, getting in early Saturday.

Until then, carry on!
I am sitting in the PDX Metropolitan Lounge waiting for a Late CS 11, now expected at 3;00pm. The train 27 bustitute did not leave SPK until 4:00am because the Havre-SEA stub train was late. I am very grateful to have been able to take the alternative transportation and make my connection. The bus was 100 percent full all the way to PDX. I hope that the CS can make up some of its current delay before I get to LAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back