CTA cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CTA is discussing the idea of having cars with NO seats within the next months--I so far have heard discussion of this on the Brown line.

The CTA is discussing the idea of having cars with NO seats within the next months--I so far have heard discussion of this on the Brown line.
I doubt this is a serious proposal:

1) It would make the seatless cars nearly useless in non-rush-hour service. People will be OK with standing if they were going to have to stand anyway (rush hour, 3rd of July, etc.) but will NOT be happy about standing on a random weekday evening or Saturday.

2) CTA floated the (IMHO, sensible) idea of NYC-style longitudinal seating on some cars and it got shot down by the riding public, who seemed to take the position of "not one seat less!". (As if they weren't going to end up standing at rush hour anyway. :rolleyes: ) But if you suggest no seats, people complain vehemently, and you float the longitudinal seating as a compromise, then... ;)

3) It's a concrete means of showing (not just telling -- the ones who count don't seem to care, and the ones who care don't seem to count) the Powers that Be that CTA really needs the capital for new cars, that ridership is making new cars not just a nice-to-have but a must-have.

Actually, let me rephrase my "not serious" assessment above. I think this is exactly like the fare increases and service cuts: something CTA doesn't actually want to do, but is floating in hopes of impressing the need for alternative action, whether the longitudinal seating or capital funding. It's not an idle threat, though: put the alternative off long enough, and they may do it.

I used to work for a guy who had all his staff meetings in a room with no chairs or tables. The meetings were always over real quick!

1) It would make the seatless cars nearly useless in non-rush-hour service. People will be OK with standing if they were going to have to stand anyway (rush hour, 3rd of July, etc.) but will NOT be happy about standing on a random weekday evening or Saturday.
But aren't there fewer cars run in non-rush-hour service? If only some of the cars are seatless, they could probably be rush hour only cars.

Cattle prods to assist in passenger movement are coming next.
Or more humanely possibility- famed pushers from Japan.
There are cars with only fold-down seats along the walls that I have seen in Tokyo. They are essentially seatless during rush hours, but at other times the fold down seats are used.

Back