CT shuttle--what type of car was I in?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cost of fast equipment is nowhere near that of the cost of acquiring a new trunk line right of way for their operation, especially in absense of government policy to make that fiscally feasible.
Not something the Japanese didn't have to contend with, either. Eminent domain over there (even in the 50s/60s) is just as political of a hot potato as it is here.

Culturally, in all kinds of different ways, eastern culture in general, and Japan in particular, are a bit more for-the-good-of-the-whole oriented than our society is- for better and worse.

Its unfortunate that no attempt of media outreach is done. There were local media articles and reports when the bus substitutions started and when they continued beyond their originally announced period. However now that all train service is resumed I have yet to see one media article saying that youd think Amtrak and Conn DOT would want the word out...
Maybe they don't want the press to bring up again the fact that the Hartford Line commuter rail won't open till May of this year (quite delayed, what a surprise), the work for which was the reason the Shuttles were bustituted for so long.
True have you seen their new site? http://www.hartfordline.com/. I noticed there is one proposed train that is listed on their PDF schedule but not on their webpage schedule a proposed Amtrak 451 shuttle that would connect with Acela 2151. I hope the PDF is right, a shuttle connecting to 2151 would be a great addition as it would make it possible to get to NY before 9 and DC before noon via a direct connection from the Springfield line.
I have seen the new site. I would suspect (and hope) that the PDF is right and someone just forgot to add that one on the new website. However, the schedules do say proposed-subject to change, so who knows. I'm not sure if someone on AU is closer to the project.
For sure and I'm sure there will be changes I'd just love to see the 2151 connection. They also seem to be proposing other tweeks to Amtrak's existing schedule. For example they appear to be proposing to swap the times of the weekday 148 and Friday 136 through trains (and also have a Shuttle Monday-Thursday around the same timeframe that 136 would run.) The only proposed loss of service I see (obviously could change) is the loss of the ability for folks north of Hartford to connect to Northeast Regional 93 as they appear to get rid of 493. The connection to 93 is maintained for points from Hartford to the south as 493 would be replaced by one of the new CTrail commuter trains that would terminate in Hartford.. Meanwhile Amtrak would add new shuttles connecting to 171 and 173 which would be alternatives for north of Hartford passengers who used to take 93.
As suspected it was a website mistake. They corrected the website today. Train 451 is indeed an actual proposed train for the expanded service beginning in May.

It was confirmed today - Amtrak will accept Hartford Line commuter tickets on the Shuttles and Northeast Regional through trains. Only train on the line that will not accept commuter fare cards is the Vermonter. So with the Amtrak trains now added in, the Hartford Line will have 16 round trips between New Haven and Hartford and eleven between New Haven and Springfield.

Back