CS OTP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Scheduled arrival vs actual arrival = minutes delayed?

2008-08-24: Scheduled: 6:15 am Actual: 6:36 am Delay: 29 minutes

2008-08-23: Scheduled: 6:15 am Actual: 6:18 am Delay: 20 minutes

2008-08-22: Scheduled: 6:15 am Actual: 5:50 am Delay: 6 minutes

2008-08-21: Scheduled: 6:15 am Actual: 6:58 am Delay: 46 minutes

2008-08-20: Scheduled: 6:15 am Actual: 7:22 am Delay: 80 minutes

2008-08-19: Scheduled: 6:15 am Actual: 5:52 am Delay: 0 minutes

2008-08-18: Scheduled: 6:15 am Actual: 6:24 am Delay: 9 minutes

B)

Without looking up the timetable, I am assuming that is for one of the end points? If so, those are not bad times, at least not compared to the 2 trains I ride frequently, the Heartland Flyer and Texas Eagle.

Without looking up the timetable, I am assuming that is for one of the end points? If so, those are not bad times, at least not compared to the 2 trains I ride frequently, the Heartland Flyer and Texas Eagle.
My point is:

take the difference between the scheduled time of arrival, compare thet time to the actual time of arrival & does that equal what the site shows as far as minutes late? <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is:take the difference between the scheduled time of arrival, compare thet time to the actual time of arrival & does that equal what the site shows as far as minutes late? <_<
Amtrak recently updated their train status display to include both the arrival and departure times. In the process, they seem to have messed up the delay calculation. It appears that what they are showing is the is the departure delay, not the arrival delay.

Perhaps Amtrak allows a little "slop margin" like the airlines do; so if a long distance train is, say 15 minutes late, it still counts as being "on time."

Perhaps Amtrak allows a little "slop margin" like the airlines do; so if a long distance train is, say 15 minutes late, it still counts as being "on time."
Actually, for Amtrak, it's 30 minutes. But it's only at the end point! :rolleyes:

If the SWC is 4 hours late at ABQ, 3 hours late to FLG, 2 hours late at NDL, but arrives LAX 20 minutes late - it's run from CHI-LAX was "on-time"! :rolleyes: That's why the SWC schedule has 101 minutes between FUL and LAX for #3. (I've been on many trips that have left FUL late and arrived "on-time" at LAX - or even 20 minutes early!) Also notice that #4 can run LAX to FUL in only 35 minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back