CS-CZ connection question...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric308

Lead Service Attendant
Planning a trip in July from CBS to PDX, then PDX to EMY on the CS to pick up the CZ. I see that there is only 60 minutes connection time IF the CS is on time into EMY. My question is would I be better off just staying in Emeryville and catching the train the next day? I see that there is a Hyatt House only .11 of a mile from the Amtrak station. Open for any thoughts and/or suggestions. Thanks!

If you book online, you will be given a same day connection in Sacramento (SAC) only at 6:xx am only. However, if you phone and talk with an agent, you can make a guaranteed same day connection from the CS to the CZ at SAC, Davis (DAV) or Martinez (MTZ) also, but you have to ask for these.

When I connected from the CS to the CZ in 2011, Amtrak would not permit the connection in EMY. Amtrak wanted to me to connect in SAC, but I was able to connect in Martinez instead. Connecting in Martinez was a shorter layover than SAC and I was able to get breakfast on the southbound CS. However, there are some AU members that were able to route through EMY and would have de-trained in MTZ or SAC if the train was running late. I think MTZ is a good alternative if you do not want to spend the night in EMY.

If you connect they usually schedule the connection in Sacramento instead of Emeryville. You could book EMY and if the CS is running late you could hop of at SAC or MTZ if you are worried about the connection. If you do that just let Amtrak know what you are doing.

As of recent the connection should not be much of a problem. The CS has generally arrived before the CZ departs. They will try to hold the CZ in the yard unless the CS is running more than 30 minutes late as both trains are scheduled to use track 1 at EMY. If the CS is running late it will pull into track 2 and double stop (as it did today) with sleepers off boarding first followed by the coaches when the train pulls up. The CZ will usually be boarding on track 1 so you can just hop of one and on the other.

The CZ generally pulls out of the yard between 830 and 845am to arrive for boarding in EMY by 850am or so.

It is a close connection for an LD train but it really is up to you but I personally would do it (I'm the type that generally arrives to the station no earlier than 5 minutes prior to departure at most though).

If you are in the mood to explore the Hyatt House just across the pedestrian bridge from the station. Breakfast is usually provided there at the hotel. Just be mindful breakfast is not available on the CS leaving EMY so on the CS before you leave or at the Hyatt House would be best.

It is up to your personal choice but a same day connection is allowed and doable and as long as Amtrak allows it as a scheduled designated connection they still need to get you to where you are going somehow or advise you to get off the train in SAC instead of EMY.

Amtrak will book your connection in SAC unless you specify otherwise. If you would like EMY you would have to book it separately and do so at your own risk. Try asking for MTZ if you would like to minimize your connection time with a more Amtrak approved connection :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the good feedback. I think I'm just going to stay over in Emeryville and catch the CZ east the following day. Is it a problem just detraining at Emeryville from PDX and laying over until the next day? I'm confused with all the options.

That shouldn't be a problem unless you are using AGR points. If you are paying you will just pay whatever price the trains you actually take are ticketed at. You can book it as a Multi-City trip or as two separate trips. You need the tickets for the dates you are actually traveling as they are reserved.

If you would like assistance booking you can always call an Amtrak agent. They will help you set it up the way you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back