CS #14 of 06/13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMDF9A

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone know what the issue of 14/13 is? I got a message from T&R today that my trip tomorrow is cancelled as #14 will be annulled in PDX tonight with a 4 AM ETA. Passengers on 11/15 will be bussed to PDX for an on-time departure.

I do. I'm trying to plan a trip that involves many LD trains and I'm obsessing about the connections. So, all those trains are having big delays and cancellations! My fault. Check it out.

JK I have no idea---but I don't like it!!

:)

Train had to be detoured due to a freight derailment near Dunsmuir which has since cleared to my knowledge. Due to the detour the train is significantly behind schedule. Trains tomorrow should operate via the regular route.

Last edited by a moderator:
#14 (13) terminated in Portland upon arrival this morning at 7:30 a.m. Passengers going further north were bussed. We made the detour through the Feather River Canyon and up the BNSF Gateway sub. Great scenery, but not great timekeeping, especially with a 4 hour stop in Westwood for a replacement crew (Amtrak, pilot, or both, it wasn't clear).

Mrs. Ispolkom and I were scheduled for #28 (14), but were reaccommodated on today's train. We're also put up in a day room at a Marriott Courtyard and got meal money.

This was a great trip, even if we're now a day late getting home, and we're happy to have had the opportunity to ride a different and beautiful route. There was a private varnish train on much of the same route last week (they went up to Bend, I think), but they paid a whole lot more than 40k AGR points for the privilege. It's better to be lucky than to be good.

#14 (13) terminated in Portland upon arrival this morning at 7:30 a.m. Passengers going further north were bussed. We made the detour through the Feather River Canyon and up the BNSF Gateway sub. Great scenery, but not great timekeeping, especially with a 4 hour stop in Westwood for a replacement crew (Amtrak, pilot, or both, it wasn't clear).
Mrs. Ispolkom and I were scheduled for #28 (14), but were reaccommodated on today's train. We're also put up in a day room at a Marriott Courtyard and got meal money.

This was a great trip, even if we're now a day late getting home, and we're happy to have had the opportunity to ride a different and beautiful route. There was a private varnish train on much of the same route last week (they went up to Bend, I think), but they paid a whole lot more than 40k AGR points for the privilege. It's better to be lucky than to be good.
Great attitude...I am sure not everyone onboard agreed...LOL

So that is why #11 is showing service disruption as apparently Seattle passengers where bused or Cascaded to Portland for #11 to originate in Portland. I am curious why passengers would be bused if there was room on Cascade trains between Portland and Seattle.

I am curious why passengers would be bused if there was room on Cascade trains between Portland and Seattle.
My bet is that Amtrak had to pay for buses going roundtrip Portland to Seattle. Since they've already paid for the return trip, why not use the buses for the Seattle passengers? That way they can still sell seats on the Cascades. Just my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back