Crude Oil on the CZ route in Utah.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the recent disaster in Quebec, there was a lot of discussion about the types of tankers used in North America, with one opinion being that certain types of tanker should be banned. Where does that stand now? And can anyone identify the car type(s) in the OP's photos?

Caption on the second photo says that the oil is trucked from the wells (in eastern Utah?) to Helper, UT, where it is transferred to railroad tank cars and hauled by train to refineries near Salt Lake City. That's a LOT of truckloads for each train! I wonder how many state highways are being ground up by all of that truck traffic?

Caption on the second photo says that the oil is trucked from the wells (in eastern Utah?) to Helper, UT, where it is transferred to railroad tank cars and hauled by train to refineries near Salt Lake City. That's a LOT of truckloads for each train! I wonder how many state highways are being ground up by all of that truck traffic?
I do not think there any wells in eastern Utah, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I looked up Uintah Basin and it is indeed in eastern Utah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back