Cross the USA on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this story linked on the Yahoo 'news' website. A woman's tells of her trip on Amtrak.

She also includes 12 photos, with commentary.

I Took an Amtrak Train Across America — Here's What It's Really Like

12 Things You Should Know Before Traveling Across the Country on Amtrak

http://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/Amtrak-Train-Across-Country-Tips-40685768#photo-40685768

Amtrak_Train_Across_Country_Tips.jpg

All positive, good. I like their little booze bag!
The classic Suitcase Nuke Porta-Bar :) When I was a small, Dad had one of those (an amazing piece of Mid Century travel essentials) and it went with us everywhere we traveled so Mom and Dad could set up a Field Operations Bar and have Martinis before supper. I wish I had salvaged that when the Estate was dissolved.

Nice story C_A. Thanx for posting it. Just can't wait for our resident spewers of negativism to chime in.

Ditto! Nice article especially from a novice!

One thing, perhaps they ate in tbe Diner before the recent "cuts" and Standardized National Menus which seem to draw the most complaints from current LD Riders?

Required reading for every first-time cross country traveler! Show this to skeptical friends and they will become Amtrak riders.

Just not sure she states how claustrophobic the top berth on a Superliner can be for some.

Also, she doesn't mention delays, so perhaps she was fortunate and didn't have any!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hummm!

In photo #8, of the SSL, there is an Empire Builder poster though she says they rode the California Zephyr.

Maybe Amtrak has the EB poster there to promote the EB?

The piece is short but sweet, but they say a picture is worth 1000 words.

Hummm!

In photo #8, of the SSL, there is an Empire Builder poster though she says they rode the California Zephyr.

From what I've seen, the posters are for any route the car might show up on, and are not changed when going to another route.

Hummm!

KmH, both Amtrak and Via Rail rail cars often contain posters from other rail routes so seeing an Empire Builder poster on the California Zephyr is not unusual at all -- and it certainly does not implicate that the picture was taken on the Empire Builder.

I think for most of us, this article highlights the best we experience out of every trip & reminds us why we love train travel in the first place. It did for me, anyways. :D

Hummm!

From what I've seen, the posters are for any route the car might show up on, and are not changed when going to another route.
I have even seen Auto Train Posters on Western trains.

I stumbled across this article on Yahoo, too, Crabby. I read it and enjoyed it and found it pretty much mirrored most of my experiences on Amtrak - except that I'm usually alone. It did cross my mind to share it.......and I didn't. :mellow:

I always enjoy reading travelogues from first time riders. I have done coach many times to Chicago and sleeper further west. It's always better that way. You have the sleeper to look forward ro. the other direction is a bit of a comedown. I wish I could afford a bedroom. I've always booked roomettes, either by points or cash, If I'm by myself I don't mind a roomette, When I'm with my wife I use the upper bunk. I find it very claustrophobic and when nature calls in the middle of the night, it's an adventure just to get down the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back