Cross-Country Trip - Questions and Comments?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyJo

Train Attendant
We took an overnight trip on the CL last summer (2008), and enjoyed it so much that we are going all in, and taking the train to SF/EMY next summer. The plan is to take the NJC to NYP, then take the LSL to Chicago. We'll spend a night in Chi, and then get on the CZ the next afternoon. There will be 4 of us (me, wife, daughter and sister-in-law), and we'll be in roomettes for the entire trip. After a few days in SF, we'll fly back to the NY area.

Questions:

I'm a bit confused about the consist for the LSL. Is there both a lounge and diner car on that train? It sounds like there may be new/renovated diners on that line, but I can't tell for sure. Also, what is the difference between a diner lite and a Superliner dining car?

I know there aren't common restrooms in the viewliners, since the rooms have their own individual facilities. Since we will be sharing rooms, do people usually just have their companion wait outside, or do they just go in one of the other cars? If so, are the sleepers close to the lounge?

As for food, what is included for the meals? I think on the CL, we got dinner, sof drinks and dessert. I guess I'm curious about breakfast, for example. If you get the extra side of bacon, do you have to pay extra for that? I understand that tips are not included.

When the Zepher schedule indicates that there will be a lengthy stop, is there time to run in to the station, or should you not venture far from the train?

Thanks to the bucket system, it wasn't exactly easy to book this trip - at one point, we had roomettes on separate floors, and they couldn't change it without charging us an extra $800! As a result, we changed the date of the CZ portion of the trip. However, we are really looking forward to this trip!

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer, but I wanted to thank you all in advance for your assistance.

We took an overnight trip on the CL last summer (2008), and enjoyed it so much that we are going all in, and taking the train to SF/EMY next summer. The plan is to take the NJC to NYP, then take the LSL to Chicago. We'll spend a night in Chi, and then get on the CZ the next afternoon. There will be 4 of us (me, wife, daughter and sister-in-law), and we'll be in roomettes for the entire trip. After a few days in SF, we'll fly back to the NY area.
Questions:

I'm a bit confused about the consist for the LSL. Is there both a lounge and diner car on that train? It sounds like there may be new/renovated diners on that line, but I can't tell for sure. Also, what is the difference between a diner lite and a Superliner dining car?

I know there aren't common restrooms in the viewliners, since the rooms have their own individual facilities. Since we will be sharing rooms, do people usually just have their companion wait outside, or do they just go in one of the other cars? If so, are the sleepers close to the lounge?

As for food, what is included for the meals? I think on the CL, we got dinner, sof drinks and dessert. I guess I'm curious about breakfast, for example. If you get the extra side of bacon, do you have to pay extra for that? I understand that tips are not included.

When the Zepher schedule indicates that there will be a lengthy stop, is there time to run in to the station, or should you not venture far from the train?

Thanks to the bucket system, it wasn't exactly easy to book this trip - at one point, we had roomettes on separate floors, and they couldn't change it without charging us an extra $800! As a result, we changed the date of the CZ portion of the trip. However, we are really looking forward to this trip!

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we get closer, but I wanted to thank you all in advance for your assistance.
Supposedly there will be a rebuilt real diner on the LSL, are you aware that this is a two section train with #49 NYP-ALB/#449 runs BOS-ALB where the train is joined. The diner currently goes to with the BOS section and the cafe car on the ALB-NYP section. A diner light is a single level car, without full diner facilities so basically you get warmed up food which lately hasnt been that bad. The Superliner of course is a bi-level with kitchen downstairs and a fuller menu on the western trains. Supposedly the best food is on the CS and the EB which I have found to be true, I plan to ride the CZ this spring,havent been there yet!

The restrooms usually are shared one @ a time :lol: in the viewliner sleepers, of course the Superliners have the toliet down the hall.The NY sleepers are on the end of the train with the baggage car behind them, its added to the train in ALB, the cafe car is next to the NY sleepers, the diner is a long hike through the train since its behind the BOS section.

As for the food, the menu is fixed but includes everything except alcohol/appetizers and tips-you can add meat to your brekfast included, its either bacon or, yuk, turkey sausage and Ive never ordered extra but have seen folks do it without additional charge!Since you are on the train awhile try the various meals, most things are pretty good considering the conditions under which the cooks work!

Everytime the train stops theyll make an announcement about the stop, when its short DONT leave trainside, on the LD routes with fuel and crew changes such as in Denver youll have longer stops ,depending on the ON Time performance (OTP) it might be longer than the schedule but always ask you SCA or

conductor before leaving train side!

Hope you have a great trip, lots of pros here and anyone will be glad to advise, you might read up on all the various parts, youll get world class tips on Amtak and other travel! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, a diner-lite is just like a "regular" diner - except that it had a steam table but no grill. Thus, there can not be any cooked to order items like steaks or (IIRC) certain eggs. You can order any items (including sides of meats like bacon and cheese on you burger), except appetizers and alcoholic beverages, at no extra charge.

Jim,
You've got things backwards. The cafe car goes to Boston, while the dining car goes to NY.
Sorry Alan, as usual you are correct! Guess I got turned around somehow while riding this train last month! :lol:
Yeah, Texan's can't keep anything straight! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back