Cross Country Newbie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on a number of short hauls, but never an overnight trip. We're taking the kids to Disneyland in November, and we'll be taking the Coast Starlight from PDX to LAUS. I've got a couple of newbie questions.

First, my wife and I and the three kids are travelling coach. Grandma and Grandpa are coming along, but have a roomette. During the day, is it kosher for Grandma and/or Grandpa to come into coach and let one of the kids (or, God forbid, Mom or Dad) take a nap in the roomette? I'm not talking sneaking showers or free juice or anything, just sack time.

We're hading down the Weekend before Thanksgiving, spending 3 days with the Mouse, then heading back on Thanksgiving Day. I'm wondering what anyone's experience is regarding how busy the train is likely to be on Thursday.

Many thanks for any pointers.

I've been on a number of short hauls, but never an overnight trip. We're taking the kids to Disneyland in November, and we'll be taking the Coast Starlight from PDX to LAUS. I've got a couple of newbie questions.
First, my wife and I and the three kids are travelling coach. Grandma and Grandpa are coming along, but have a roomette. During the day, is it kosher for Grandma and/or Grandpa to come into coach and let one of the kids (or, God forbid, Mom or Dad) take a nap in the roomette? I'm not talking sneaking showers or free juice or anything, just sack time.

We're hading down the Weekend before Thanksgiving, spending 3 days with the Mouse, then heading back on Thanksgiving Day. I'm wondering what anyone's experience is regarding how busy the train is likely to be on Thursday.

Many thanks for any pointers.
My kids and I were on the very same train from PDX-LAUS earlier this month. Not sure about the sneaking in for a nap question but can tell you it'll be a very long walk to the sleeper from coach since most likely you'll be in the very last car of the train since you're going almost the full length of the route.

In talking to the crew when I was on it, they said it get's very busy during the holidays. And it was jam packed when we were on it.

On the three trains I just took, all of the sleeper car attendants had eyes in the back of their heads. That is, they knew who was on their car and where they belonged all of the time. They accosted every person who passed their stairway, either to say hello do you need anything, or where are you going. So I think any visits will have to be pre-arranged by the grandparents.

While Thanksgiving week is Amtrak's busiest time of the year, I don't think you'll have too much trouble on Thanksgiving day. I'd have to assume most people aren't spending the day on the train - rather they're spending one on either side of it. In my experience in the airline industry, days on either side of a major holiday had packed flights, but the holiday itself usually had a pretty low load factor.

I would expect that you'll have some company on Thanksgiving Day, but I wouldn't expect the train to be packed. It might get busier though on Friday as people start heading home.

As for the sleeper, I would suspect that as long as one or the other grandparent meets one of the kids in the lounge car that you shouldn't have too much trouble. I wouldn't go crazy having them go back and forth multiple times, and I'd still have grandma or pa talk to the attendant first. But most attendants would be willing to let visits happen.

I rode the Crescent on the 4th of July a few weeks ago and found as others had indicated. There were other people there, but the train was not nearly as crowded as when I rode back yesterday.

Because (and I don't think it applies here) they would rather reduce their tip then permanently reduce their salary to zero.

Related question: Has Amtrak ever done anything like a special menu item on Thanksgiving day/night for passengers?

Amtrak and Gate Gourmet typically do a special Thanksgiving special. They usually have turkey and stuffing available as a nightly special. And of course Mashed Potatoes are always on the menu. I believe they may do a similar meal for Christmas as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back