Critique my itinerary? Rail Pass - Coast to Coast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people.

First, thanks for everyone's input in the chatroom last night! I didn't expect anyone there since I was so late to the party, but I'm glad I tried anyway as it really helped me gain a better understanding of what I'm about to get into.

To the meaty part of the post:

I have a semi-solid plan to use the 15 day pass to do a cross-country starting from Portland, OR to Buffalo, NY on Empire Builder. Then make my way down to DC, back to Chicago, then finally take the California Zephyr back to PDX.

Tentatively: PDX - CHI - BUF - NYP - WAS - CHI - SAC - PDX. That's 7 segments total (if my understanding of segments are correct), so that leaves me one stop somewhere along the way to explore.. or perhaps act as backup in case I somehow got stranded somewhere? What happens when I miss a connection that's my own fault? Do they do it like the airlines and put you on the next flight (train) for free?

I have plans to stay overnight at BUF (Niagara Falls.. thanks to chatroom, I know to rent a car), WAS, and the second time I'm in CHI.

My day in NYP coincides with the weekend, so I think I might even buy that special weekend pass to go up to Boston (but CT is so much cheaper at $20!), which will require an additional night's stay.

Any tips on making this better will be appreciated! Like, places to see along those routes, what I should do with that last unused segment, should I go to Boston or CT? I know Boston is famous for something, but for the life of me I don't know what I'd do there!

I'm not on a tight schedule, so I'm not worried about delays.. unless it's more than a day's worth and I miss my check-in times. Would Amtrak provide compensation if that happens?

I was looking for Amtrak experiences on several different sites. On lonely planet's forum, one of the posters brought a sleeping bag aboard and found places to actually lie down for the night.. is that allowed? What's a reasonable price for a roomette upgrade from PDX to CHI if I request (and get) the upgrade while onboard?

I also read on lonely planet that trains traveling anywhere outside of the NE usually aren't full, particularly in the off season, and that you should strewn your belongings in your row to keep those seats empty.. is that frowned upon? Or should I go for it?

Um, I think that's it for now.. thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

Any tips on making this better will be appreciated! Like, places to see along those routes, what I should do with that last unused segment, should I go to Boston or CT? I know Boston is famous for something, but for the life of me I don't know what I'd do there!
Being from Portland, Oregon, did you know there was a 50% chance your city could have been Boston? Here's how.

The only thing I can think of is that depending on the OTP on the Zephyr you probably could make it to EMY and catch the Starlight there. Unless of course there's something you want to see in Sacramento or this is the point where Amtrak guarantees the connection from. I would think the Zephyr would have to be at least four hours late in order to make it worthwhile to get off in SAC.

Yay, two posts in and it's made a huge difference already!

I was using the simplified map on seat61.com (stumbled upon it on flyertalk, and the site convinced me to try train travel) and, for some reason, I thought I'd need an extra segment to get from SAC to EMY then back. Now that I know it's only one segment, I'm so there! Thanks!

ETA: I am actually thinking of going down to LA to visit a friend, but all these talks about how beautiful and wonderful and not-to-be-miss the Zephyr is, I'm reluctant to skip it and do the return via SW Chief.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I can think of is that depending on the OTP on the Zephyr you probably could make it to EMY and catch the Starlight there. Unless of course there's something you want to see in Sacramento or this is the point where Amtrak guarantees the connection from. I would think the Zephyr would have to be at least four hours late in order to make it worthwhile to get off in SAC.
Amtrak only guarantees Sacramento, if you go to Emeryville you're on your own if the train is late.

I would stick to your current plan. If you wanted to do a "practice run" to try overnight train travel, you could take a trip from pdx to lax on the Coast Starlight. This is an excellent train, and the scenery is wonderful. It was my number 2 behind the CZ.

As far as lying on the floor, using a sleeping bag, the train is not really designed for that. I have seen people do that in coach.But they are lying on the floor with thieir legs underneath a row of seats. Considering that things get dropped on the floor and spilled, it isnot the cleanest place to be. Also, I once saw a mouse on a train, so that might deter you from sleeping on the floor too.

Using two seats is OK as long as the train is not crowded. You should know that they group passengers in coaches based on destination. For example, on your trip from pdx to chi, you and all of the other people going to Chicago will be in the same car. Passengers going to Minneapolis and places in Minnesota would probably be in another car, and so forth.If alot of people are going to Chicago, that car could be crowded. And they would not want you to sit in another less crowded car. So you would certainly be assigned to a car, and might be assigned a seat by the attendant. The seat assignment practice varies from train to train. But if you are traveling alone, and the attendant is assigning seats, be prepared for the next single person after you to be assigned to the seat next to you. If you are the unfortunate second single person to arrive, you might be assigned to sit next somebody who already has the window seat. The attendant assigning seats is usually not to excited about accommodating request for a window seat. I don't know about the EB, but on my last trip in coach on the CZ from Chi to Galesburg, there were no assigned seats. So on the most scenic route you could most likely have your pick of seats. This seat assignment is a pet peeve of mine, and one reason why I always try travel first class so that I always have a window.

Now if you are lucky to get two seats to yourself, be prepared for a narrow ridge of plastic dividing the two seats. It is about even with the cushions, and not an issue if you sit normally, or lean against the window to sleep. But if you try to lay across both seats, your hip will rest on this plastic thing, and be an annoyance. I travel light, so I dont have blankents, pillows, etc to cushion the seat in this situation. A sleeping bag might work, but IMHO it would be cumbersome to carry and keep track of.

I would suggest that you purchase a travel pillow that goes around your next and supports your head so you can sleep in a reclined position with more comfort. Amtrak's pillows are like the ones on an airplane, and are essentially useless IMHO. Mine always ends up on the floor by the feet of the passenger sitting behind me. I have seen people bring their own pillows from home, and this would work if you again don't mind the extra stuff to carry.

If you want to check prices of roomettes, you can do a booking without purchase on Amtrak's website. After entering in your city pairs, the train selection page will come up. After you pick your train, click on the box that has the word "accommodations" in it. This will give a choice of available accommodations. Roomettes are the cheapest, and Deluxe bedrooms are the most expensive. The family room is hardly ever available and is meant for families. There are better descriptions of these on Amtrak's website.

Good luck. Keep asking questions, we will be glad to help.

Amtrak only guarantees Sacramento, if you go to Emeryville you're on your own if the train is late.
I was kind of thinking that was the case but wasn't 100% sure.

I saw the mouse back in the late 80's on the Cardinal in a heritage fleet coach. I saw movement on the heating duct by my feet, and then the person in front of me said there is a mouse. I told the attendant, who thought i was joking. It was kind of funny at the time because there was a wave like disturbance as the mouse made its way through the car. I don't think they ever caught it, and it was never seen during the rest of the trip.

Found a friend to meet up with in SF, so EMY is definitely on my list now!

Also, I think I might skip spending a full day/night in Chicago after all. I'll have around 5 hours of layover before I get to BUF, so I might just take that time to do a little exploring. I mean, do I really want to risk frostbite anyway by wandering around the city in sub-zero temp? :p What can I see/do that's near the Chicago station?

Also, checked baggage.. I'll have a small suitcase checked in PDX, will they be transfering it for me or will I have to pick it up and check it again for my next connection into BUF? I'd rather not have to lug that thing around as I go about the city.. are there places I can lock up my personal belongings in the station?

As to the mouse - that might be entertaining :) As for other source of entertainment.. how likely am I to start a game with fellow passengers if I bring some cards or a small boardgame?

Thanks for all the replies so far!

As long as you show them your ticket to Buffalo, they'll check your bag through for you all the way and you won't need to worry about it in Chicago. That assumes that you cancel the overnight in Chicago. Just know that you won't have access to that checked bag either until you get to BUF.

In Chicago there are lockers that you can rent for a few hours if you don't want to bring your carry-on stuff with you. That assumes that you don't end up in a sleeper. If that happens, then you'll have access to the Metropolitan lounge where they'll hold you bag for free.

And I'd say that you're quite likely to start up a game if you bring along something and make it clear that you'd like to share.

indispensable on my month-long trip: an inflatable travel pillow with a removable (and washable) cover. i would also recommend noise-canceling headphones and/or some ambien (if you're a light sleeper or can't sleep on a plane).

Hi people! I made it to DC and plan on leaving the next day. A few more questions:

I'm finding myself with an extra day/night. I WAS going to spend it in LA, but the plans have gone awry. What city do you guys recommend between WAS and EMY? I want to take the CZ, and I already have a 6hr layover in CHI, any suggestions?

How early can I check my bags? If I'm leaving at 4pm, can I let them take my bag at, say 7am? I guess I can leave them in my room, but I'd rather not have to go back to my hotel for them and just get it over with to save time. Or, does anyone know if Union Station have lockers?

How late can I grab my bags? I'm checking my carry on between WAS to CHI since it's just one night, and plan on taking it back at CHI to EMY. But I don't want to lug it around while I sight-see. I guess I can use their lockers, but it seems simpler to check it. (And, to my utter dismay, they did not have lockers at NYP.. I had plan on doing a bit of sight-seeing around the station :( )

I think that's about it for now.. also, what's the best way to get from EMY to SF via public transport?

Hi people! I made it to DC and plan on leaving the next day. A few more questions:
I'm finding myself with an extra day/night. I WAS going to spend it in LA, but the plans have gone awry. What city do you guys recommend between WAS and EMY? I want to take the CZ, and I already have a 6hr layover in CHI, any suggestions?

How early can I check my bags? If I'm leaving at 4pm, can I let them take my bag at, say 7am? I guess I can leave them in my room, but I'd rather not have to go back to my hotel for them and just get it over with to save time. Or, does anyone know if Union Station have lockers?

How late can I grab my bags? I'm checking my carry on between WAS to CHI since it's just one night, and plan on taking it back at CHI to EMY. But I don't want to lug it around while I sight-see. I guess I can use their lockers, but it seems simpler to check it. (And, to my utter dismay, they did not have lockers at NYP.. I had plan on doing a bit of sight-seeing around the station :( )

I think that's about it for now.. also, what's the best way to get from EMY to SF via public transport?

have you considered Buffalo-Boston-New York

Bob

How early can I check my bags? If I'm leaving at 4pm, can I let them take my bag at, say 7am?
Probably. On December 21 sometime in the late afternoon/early evening, I checked luggage at BOS (Boston South Station) for the following day's noonish Lake Shore Limited departure, and the guy in the luggage office seemed not one bit bothered that I was there about 18 hours in advance.

How early can I check my bags? If I'm leaving at 4pm, can I let them take my bag at, say 7am?
Probably. On December 21 sometime in the late afternoon/early evening, I checked luggage at BOS (Boston South Station) for the following day's noonish Lake Shore Limited departure, and the guy in the luggage office seemed not one bit bothered that I was there about 18 hours in advance.
in Oct on leaving San Diego I left a bag two days early and it took a totally different route East than I did as long as I showed my ticket they showed not a eyeblink

Bob

I would hop off in Glenwood Springs CO on the CZ route. That is one cool mountain town with the worlds biggest spring fed swimming pool. Stay at the Hot Springs Hotel and you get free admission into the Hot Springs Pool. Or if you are cheap walk up the street from the station and stay at the Glenwood Springs Hostel. $18 per night if I remember correctly. GSC is a great place to spend a day. Small town too, about 6,000 people and you can ride thier bus system for free. Heck, go to Aspen on the bus and pay $13RT and watch a city of people with facelifts walk around! :lol:

You can check your bags at Union Station, either as checked baggage or as a day check. The latter means that you pick them up later in the day and carry them onto the train. You also have to pay a fee per bag to day check. Both are done at the baggage counter to the far right of the ticket counter.

By the way, while too late now, you could have done the day check thing in NY too.

I was thinking New Orleans :) but it'd give me little time to spend there. So I'll look into CO! Thanks!

I asked about them holding my bags, but they didn't offer baggage checks between NYP and WAS and while they could hold my bags, it'd cost me 7.80 or something.. and I'd only be gone for maybe an hour 1/2 at the most. Decided it wasn't worth it, lol. I'll go back some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back