Crew Dorm Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
When Beech Grove was converting 10-6 sleepers into crew dorms why did they remove the two center windows where there were two double bedrooms and what went in that space? :huh:

Did anyone of the crew dorms receive smoking lounge like it was meant to. Why weren't the added. Instead half of an Amfleet Lounge is takin up by an enclosed smoking room.

Amfleet said:
Did anyone of the crew dorms receive smoking lounge like it was meant to. Why weren't the added. Instead half of an Amfleet Lounge is takin up by an enclosed smoking room.
I think they generated alot of noise, there may be one or two that still have it, but I'm not sure. Besides, I think they had hard plastic seats.

I don't know the full story behind this, but there are some crew Heritage sleepers that were retrofitted with a smoking lounge. Not sure what was removed to make room for the smoking area. I wish more of these had been made, because on the Silver Service trains (as well as other single-level trains such as the Crescent, Lake Shore Limited, and now the Cardinal), part of the lounge is used by smokers. While there are posted hours in which smokers are allowed to smoke, the crew does not enforce them, meaning that the lounge often stinks for the whole trip. And if you are sitting in the other end of the lounge, you still can smell the horrible smell.

If they had enough of these crew dorm/smoker cars running, they could make the entire lounge car non-smoking, and thus much more pleasant.

Superliner Diner said:
I don't know the full story behind this, but there are some crew Heritage sleepers that were retrofitted with a smoking lounge. Not sure what was removed to make room for the smoking area. I wish more of these had been made, because on the Silver Service trains (as well as other single-level trains such as the Crescent, Lake Shore Limited, and now the Cardinal), part of the lounge is used by smokers. While there are posted hours in which smokers are allowed to smoke, the crew does not enforce them, meaning that the lounge often stinks for the whole trip. And if you are sitting in the other end of the lounge, you still can smell the horrible smell.

If they had enough of these crew dorm/smoker cars running, they could make the entire lounge car non-smoking, and thus much more pleasant.
I agree about the smoking, the bedrooms were what was removed, and the crew uses the roomettes. Maybe instead of Viewliner Baggage Dorms, we can get Viewliner Dorm Lounges with this room, or have a separate FC lounge where smoking is prohibited, and is layed out like an unrefurbished Amfleet II, and a Lounge for all passengers similar to the Amfleet II Refurbs. The one problem with smoking in the dorm is coach passengers have to go through the sleepers to smoke, making it noisy.

Hey it pays to dream. B)

Couldn't an Amfleet II coach be retrofitted with a smoking lounge at one end. I believe some of you have seen my plans for this idea. If you haven't PM me with or e-mail and I'll send them.

Yes, that's possible, and I'd rather see that than valueable lounge space taken up.

By plans for the idea do you mean Viewliner plans?

Amfleet said:
By plans for the idea do you mean Viewliner plans?
Yes, I sent them right? If you don't have it I'll be happy to send it again. I also developed a Deluxe Sleeper/Smoking Lounge. I can send that too.
I just wasn't sure, send the new ones over. B)

the only car with an actual smoking lounge is the #2500. all of the roometts look the same, just the toilets have been moved to the center of the car

:blink:

ryan

Ummm, Crew Dorm 2524, all the dorms have the restrooms in the center with the lounge on the end. I believe at one time it was thought that the Crew Dorm would be placed at the end of the consist, behind the coaches. To me this still seems feasible. The Dorm could be placed at the end of the consist, along with the baggage car. The only problem with this is that it would place the revenue sleepers right next to the open motive. So to combat this the coaches could/should be moved to the front of the train, then in front of that would be the dorm, with the dorm having its smoking lounge acheiving its original purpose. Whaddya think?

I am not going to add anything very intelligent to this forum, but humor me anyway, ok? I have never been in a dorm car.....but the chief memory of one which stands out in my mind until this day is.....in my childhood......there was a train I rode frequently which was a streamlined train but had an old heavyweight dorm. That dorm's door had a DOOR KNOB just like any ordinary door at one's home.....Now think about that.........train doors.........how often on a train do you see a completely normal door-knob-type door? It is always some other kind of mechanism, something you push, etc, or the latch-key effect from the inside of a sleeping car room. But I still remember that door knob to this day. I actually tried to turn it a time or two but of course it was locked.

battalion51 said:
I believe at one time it was thought that the Crew Dorm would be placed at the end of the consist, behind the coaches.
That would be one way to get coach attendants to at least walk through their cars :D

Putting the Crew Dorm behind/in front of the coaches would cause a lot of unhappy Sleeper smokers. They would have to walk to entire length of the train to get to the smoking lounge. Where the dorms are now then coach passengers would have to walk through the sleepers to get to the lounge which is not a good thing to do. In my opinion the only fesable way to situate the smoking lounge/dorm would be between the diner and lounge. However, that poses another problem with the crew won't get their privacy.

With a Viewliner Fleet as I say so often, build a regular lounge similar to a refurbished Amfleet II with the smoking room, and First Class Lounges like an unrefurbished Amfleet II, and prohibit smoking in those. The Crew could get a baggage dorm, then that would satisfy practically everyone.

One thing those Lounges could is a working GPS. If they had those I could spend the whole day in the FC Lounge. B)

Amfleet said:
I still say why waste any lounge space coach or sleeper when half of a coach can have an enclosed smoking room. :ph34r:
That makes sense, after all the Superliners have coach smokers, so can Viewliners I guess. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back