Crew Car Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that conductors never sleep on board but SCA's (unless its the AutoTrain- nonstop) stay up to accomodate passengers at all stops until there are no more sleeper passengers scheduled to board or sleepers scheduled to be sold. Then they can retire to their bedroom.
Conductors can never sleep on an Amtrak train, at least while on duty. If they're traveling for fun, that's another matter.

SCA's are guaranteed a minimum of 4 hours of uninterupted sleep by contract IIRC. That means that during the overnight hours a conductor or the attendant from the other sleeping car could board passengers and detrain passengers at stops along the way.

Many, although not all, sleeping car attendants who know each well will often trade off with one another to make their lives easier. What that means is for example on the Silver Star north from Miami, SCA #1 will remain awake for the bulk of the night, sleeping only in between stops and will work both sleeping cars at all stops. SCA #2 gets to sleep all night with no need to worry about their car. On the return trip back to Miami from NY, SCA #2 remains on duty all night for both sleepers, while SCA #1 gets to sleep all night. The issue here however is that you must really trust the other attendant because if they screw something up, like forgetting to waks someone for their stop in your car, you're still the person held responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that conductors never sleep on board
Conductors can never sleep on an Amtrak train, at least while on duty. If they're traveling for fun, that's another matter.
My understanding is that Conductors are Operating Staff and as such are not allowed to work more than about 12 hours. If they have to work more than 12 hours the train stops as the operating staff is outlawed.

My understanding is that Conductors are Operating Staff and as such are not allowed to work more than about 12 hours. If they have to work more than 12 hours the train stops as the operating staff is outlawed.
Yup, after that a relief crew must be sent...

Your understanding is correct. :)

Good luck! Yes, there is hot and heavy competition for the few positions available, and yes, Amtrak is currently in a position to take only the cream of the applicant crop, as it were. (I'm unfortunately not in a position to influence the hiring powers-that-be, less so now due to temporarily being on mgmt's poop list for reasons I won't go into here :rolleyes: )
Once you've been tested, interviewed, offered a job, gone through your DOT physical, successfully completed 7-9 weeks of classroom training, been on the road qualifying 12-16 weeks, then marked up (to begin your 90 days' probation) you can expect to be called with 2 hours' notice to show up for work. You will be called to work a Surfliner run LAXSAN, or LAXGTA, or LAXSLO, or perhaps you'll catch LAXKNG. The LAXSAN runs are day trips, 8-10 hour days. LAXGTA can be a day trip, 8-11 hours, or overnight with a very short stay at a hotel. LAXSLO is another overnight, with a very short hotel stay. LAXKNG is a 3-day run, starting the evening of day 1, most of day 2 in a fleabag hotel in KNG, then overnight day 2-3 back to LAX. It's a tough run, but definitely one of my favorites!

You will also have to be prepared to work yard jobs, taking trainsets to and from the depot and the yard, and putting trains together. I've worked the yard in the middle of summer in the middle of the day, and also in the middle of the night in the middle of a torrential downpour. It's gruelling work, but part of railroading.

Your day on the road will consist of taking tickets, remembering to call restrictions to the engineer, assisting passengers with baggage (within reason) answering a million times the questions, "Where are the restrooms?" "Where is the cafe car?" and "What time will we get to (insert station here)?" There is a certain rhythm to each train, which, being on the xboard, you will eventually learn.

Start riding now. Watch the operating crew (we're the ones with the radios), observe, ask questions (but don't be offended if the Conductor/s don't have time to go into a lot of detail...ask if the C can come back, you're interested in the job) and see if it's right for you. Remember, though, there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes, before passengers board, and out of passengers' direct line of sight.

Good luck. I know it's tough, having worked with a dear friend through 50+ applications in the past year or so, just to get hired by the company. I'm still hoping he gets hired.

Travel light!

~BJG
So tell me about the 7 - 9 weeks classroom training. Is it held in LAX since that is the base for the job or on the east coast? If it is the latter, who pays for my trip there and room and board?

You will most likely be sent to Wilmington, on the company's dime, where you will be put up in a hotel for the duration. Your classroom training will include operating rules, revenue, and basic car handling. Your class will include ACs from across the country, which is why everyone is generally sent back east these days: consistency of training.

Good luck.

Travel light!

~BJG

So tell me about the 7 - 9 weeks classroom training. Is it held in LAX since that is the base for the job or on the east coast? If it is the latter, who pays for my trip there and room and board?

You will also have to be prepared to work yard jobs, taking trainsets to and from the depot and the yard, and putting trains together.
Does Amtrak accept volunteers to do this too? :D
Obviously Amtrak doesn't........... BUT, virtually EVERY (there are some exceptions) tourist railroad, either one that own the ROW or pays a fee to the RR to pull their train DO accept volunteers.

When we first started the KLS&C Railyway, (I came in about a year after they started) we operated the ENTIRE RR with volunteers. I was SHOCKED!. I asked my partner Mark Campbell, "Why do they do this?" He of course explained the fascination with trains that most of us have.

Fans would sell their mother to be able to run a GP-7! Or, even just bet the conductor, to yell "All Aboard!" and MEAN it!

Of course we din't just throw them in the seat and say "Go at it", they had to be trained like every other craft that was regulated by the FRA.

hahah, guess what? The only job on the RR we could NOT get volunteers for was "TRACK WORK". A LOT of fans would offer, but after ONE DAY. "CYA".

For obvious reasons. So how did we operate with virtually an all volunteer staff? Simple, Mark knew what drives people: RECOGNITION. Spend some hours with the KLS&C and you get a jacket, or a hat, etc., etc.

And it was NOT "false" recognition, it is real. We had the RR, the volunteers had the time. But it was time taken away from their families (in some cases) Without them, we would not have operated for the better part of ten years........

So VOLUNTEER! I plan on doing it again, once my kids are a bit older.................

Good luck! Yes, there is hot and heavy competition for the few positions available, and yes, Amtrak is currently in a position to take only the cream of the applicant crop, as it were. (I'm unfortunately not in a position to influence the hiring powers-that-be, less so now due to temporarily being on mgmt's poop list for reasons I won't go into here :rolleyes: )
Once you've been tested, interviewed, offered a job, gone through your DOT physical, successfully completed 7-9 weeks of classroom training, been on the road qualifying 12-16 weeks, then marked up (to begin your 90 days' probation) you can expect to be called with 2 hours' notice to show up for work. You will be called to work a Surfliner run LAXSAN, or LAXGTA, or LAXSLO, or perhaps you'll catch LAXKNG. The LAXSAN runs are day trips, 8-10 hour days. LAXGTA can be a day trip, 8-11 hours, or overnight with a very short stay at a hotel. LAXSLO is another overnight, with a very short hotel stay. LAXKNG is a 3-day run, starting the evening of day 1, most of day 2 in a fleabag hotel in KNG, then overnight day 2-3 back to LAX. It's a tough run, but definitely one of my favorites!

You will also have to be prepared to work yard jobs, taking trainsets to and from the depot and the yard, and putting trains together. I've worked the yard in the middle of summer in the middle of the day, and also in the middle of the night in the middle of a torrential downpour. It's gruelling work, but part of railroading.

Your day on the road will consist of taking tickets, remembering to call restrictions to the engineer, assisting passengers with baggage (within reason) answering a million times the questions, "Where are the restrooms?" "Where is the cafe car?" and "What time will we get to (insert station here)?" There is a certain rhythm to each train, which, being on the xboard, you will eventually learn.

Start riding now. Watch the operating crew (we're the ones with the radios), observe, ask questions (but don't be offended if the Conductor/s don't have time to go into a lot of detail...ask if the C can come back, you're interested in the job) and see if it's right for you. Remember, though, there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes, before passengers board, and out of passengers' direct line of sight.

Good luck. I know it's tough, having worked with a dear friend through 50+ applications in the past year or so, just to get hired by the company. I'm still hoping he gets hired.

Travel light!

~BJG

I just applied for Assit Conductor. What are the crew accomodations like? Would I be required to sleep in one of the coaches? What would life on the rails be like for me?
So since I travel on Amtrak's dime for travel, will they rail me one coast to the other or fly me. Also, what do they do with us on the weekend, or is it 7 days a week of classes?

I believe that for the sake of time, you will be flown.

Weekends are your own. You're officially in class 8a-5p, so evenings and weekends are your own time. There is a van you may borrow for a few hours, to run errands or whatnot, but you'll be sharing that with others in your class, and other classes that will be attending at the same time.

Travel light!

~BJG

So since I travel on Amtrak's dime for travel, will they rail me one coast to the other or fly me. Also, what do they do with us on the weekend, or is it 7 days a week of classes?

Weekends are your own. You're officially in class 8a-5p, so evenings and weekends are your own time. There is a van you may borrow for a few hours, to run errands or whatnot, but you'll be sharing that with others in your class, and other classes that will be attending at the same time.

Travel light!

~BJG

Great I have a two sets of friends in NJ and a couple in NY I can run up and see.

Travel light!

~BJG

Great I have a two sets of friends in NJ and a couple in NY I can run up and see.
Still waiting to hear back from them. I has been about a week since they closed the position...maybe too soon.

Travel light!

~BJG

Still waiting to hear back from them. I has been about a week since they closed the position...maybe too soon.
Still have not heard back. Should I give up at this point?

Give up if you wish, but keep in mind you were one of over 600 applicants for those positions, including internal applicants (already employed by the company, wishing to transfer craft) and re-entry applicants (ie UP/BNSF conductors who have been furloughed) so if this is something you truly wish to pursue, apply with the next posting, and the one after, etc.

Travel light!

~BJG

Still have not heard back. Should I give up at this point?

This topic reminds me of my time in the classroom at British Rail, back in the early 1970’s. I had applied for a job as a “second man”, the engineer’s assistant, a sort of equivalent job on diesel locomotives to the fireman on steam engines.

I think we only had two weeks in school, learning about distant, home and starter signals, rules and regs, hand and lamp signals, and how to couple the engine to a passenger train, and then we were out on the loco with a driver... having passed a non written verbal test.

Although it was laid down that it was a two man job, after a few months, most engineers would let you have a drive of the engine, and if you were safe, your regular driver might take turns with you to have a bit of time off. This was only done where it did not affect safety. I remember proudly the trust my driver displayed in me as a young man, by letting me drive the locomotive responsible for switching (we call it shunting) and pilot duties at Liverpool Street station, an 18 platform main line London terminus. (He of course was tucked up asleep in bed!) That was how train drivers were made in those days, one mostly learnt on the job, and it was a great time. I have driven trains pulling nuclear waste flasks, loose coupled (unbraked) goods, passenger trains, and high speed freightliner trains, and never ended up as a driver, or engineer as you say. Because of the slow promotion, one had to wait for someone to leave, before moving one step nearer. I worked at Stratford Depot in East London which has since been replaced by commercial and other buildings... Happy Days!!

Eddie :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back