Crescent vs. Traspasser

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernServesTheSouth

Service Attendant
The Crescent #19 hit and killed an unidentiffied male on the James River Bridge Saturday night. Crescent left Charlottesville on time but arrived in Lynchburg over 2 hours late.

Local TV station mentioned it was probably self destruction on part of traspasser.

Two hours? A remarkably short delay for this sort of thing.

This is a long high single track open deck structure. There is no place to go if you are out there on it when a train comes. Given that this is a very busy railroad, no one with a functional brain would consider this a place for a stroll.

In Jim Loomis' fine "All Aboard," he writes (regarding being an engineer), "There is, however, one serious negative to the job, and it's a big one. Many engineers, whether working freight or passenger trains, have struck and killed someone while at the controls of the locomotive." (p. 114) It is doubtless traumatic for all touched by such an event, but people may not be aware of how often engineers are effected.

Yes, this is so sad, whether intentional or not. It might not have been intention; there's always the it-won't-happen-to-me factor. Prayers for all involved.

ScottRu:

I totally agree.

One of our family friends works for NS as a conductor. He has refused offers of an engineer's job solely because "I don't want to run over anybody." He is a not too serious or worrier kind of young man and not the type whom you'd expect to overly worry about such things. This makes it apparent to me that trespasser strikes are a HUGE concern for railroad engineers. My heart goes out to all engineers and railroad personnel who've been involved in accidents or suicides, as well as to the victims and families, of course .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back