Crescent Star proposal still alive

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
From Access Northern Georgia, 5/8/07:

ATLANTA - You may soon be able to ride the Amtrak Crescent from Gainesville to parts of Texas.
Texas wants a piece of the Crescent, according to the Georgia Association of Railroad Passengers (GARP).
Story is here.

ATLANTA - You may soon be able to ride the Amtrak Crescent from Gainesville to parts of Texas.

Texas wants a piece of the Crescent, according to the Georgia Association of Railroad Passengers (GARP).
Story is here.
Bah, humbug....seeing is believing.
Amen to the bah, humbug. Talk is cheap and that is all this is. Nothing to get excited about. In fact probably not worth the time it would take to read it.

Amen to the bah, humbug. Talk is cheap and that is all this is. Nothing to get excited about. In fact probably not worth the time it would take to read it.
Now let's not be too negative on this. Sure I, too will believe it when I see it, but it's refreshing to see some positive talk about this. Talk is cheap I know, but it's better than the silence that prevailed over the past several years. The fact that the idea is hitting the media, and that NARP and its regional affiliates in Georgia and Texas (and probably Louisiana too) are bringing it to the forefront makes the possibility of the service at least a little more certain. Kept on the back burner would ensure it never happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Story is here.
Bah, humbug....seeing is believing.
George;

When the Texas Star brain storm first hit Amtrak they went kuzookoos. They put an Asst. General manager, Road Foreman, Salesman and secretary in a rented office across the street from the $5 million dollar Meridian depot. (It honestly cost that much and was a favor to the mayor of Meridian who was on the board of Amtrak at the time.)

There was (and still is) oodles of space in the two story bus/train depot for many offices. If you've ever passed through your first impression would probably be "What the heck are we doing in Albany?"

Amtrak also hired six A/C's to cover the train crews and extra boards for the Crescent and the Texas Star break-off. They trained the six brakeman and immediately cut 5 off. The officials, who were supposed to promote the Texas Star, sat in their offices for almost four years for a train that NEVER ran !!! About the only thing I ever heard them doing was to video tape the crews while they changed off in a desperate attempt to find rule violations. I never saw them riding either #19 or #20 except for the Road Foreman. Fortunately, they eventually ran every official off except for the salesman who recently got transferred to Atlanta.

Now, the train crews have to go through a shoe shine parlor to get to their lockers and tie up room across the street in an old dilapitated building. Again, there is plenty of space in the new depot to accomodate them without having to go to the back of an old building. Bah, humbug !!!, I say again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak also hired six A/C's to cover the train crews and extra boards for the Crescent and the Texas Star break-off. They trained the six brakeman and immediately cut 5 off. The officials, who were supposed to promote the Texas Star, sat in their offices for almost four years for a train that NEVER ran !!! ....

Now, the train crews have to go through a shoe shine parlor to get to their lockers and tie up room across the street in an old dilapitated building. Again, there is plenty of space in the new depot to accomodate them without having to go to the back of an old building. Bah, humbug !!!
Management at its best. I could make a lot of comments, but these forums are a bit too public to quote some of the more hilarious examples I have been around since I would like to keep working a few more years. (When you work basically by temporary employment contracts, you don't make the management type idiots mad. They don't have to fire you, just forget you exist when your current contract expires. Of course if they though they really needed you to make them look good anything can be overlooked. Also, be nice to the admin types. They can either lose your paperwork or expedite it, and the good ones seem to be really unappreciated by the same geniuses in management that are a pain to everyone else.)

George

First of all this kind of route makes to much sense so of course it won't work. Besides UP & NS are starting a new very fast freight network via KCS so forget about this passenger train ever being ontime.

Amtrak also hired six A/C's to cover the train crews and extra boards for the Crescent and the Texas Star break-off. They trained the six brakeman and immediately cut 5 off. The officials, who were supposed to promote the Texas Star, sat in their offices for almost four years for a train that NEVER ran !!! ....

Now, the train crews have to go through a shoe shine parlor to get to their lockers and tie up room across the street in an old dilapitated building. Again, there is plenty of space in the new depot to accomodate them without having to go to the back of an old building. Bah, humbug !!!
Management at its best. I could make a lot of comments, but these forums are a bit too public to quote some of the more hilarious examples I have been around since I would like to keep working a few more years. (When you work basically by temporary employment contracts, you don't make the management type idiots mad. They don't have to fire you, just forget you exist when your current contract expires. Of course if they though they really needed you to make them look good anything can be overlooked. Also, be nice to the admin types. They can either lose your paperwork or expedite it, and the good ones seem to be really unappreciated by the same geniuses in management that are a pain to everyone else.)

George
Just one of the few luxuries about being retired~ you don't have to worry about getting re-hired...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back