crescent questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my family of 7 is planning a trip in the summer from meridian, ms to washington,dc. we are wondering if we can get 2 adjoining bedrooms or is there an option to get 3. we have 4 adults and 3 children.how far in advance should we book these?

The maximum number of adjoining bedrooms is 2, since there are only two in the car. If you want roomettes, which don't connect via a private door, then you can probably get several in a row or right across the corridor from one another.

If you want the bedroom option, then you must book ASAP, since there are only 2 sleeper cars on the Crescent and therefore only 4 bedrooms total. They go fast.

Additionally prices on any type of sleeper accomodation, be it bedroom or roomette, will rise as the train sells out. And this train will sell out during the summer months. So as soon as your dates are firm, book it. Don't wait!

Implied in Alan's message (but I think it should be pointed out clearly) is that if you need three "bedrooms" (the larger rooms), they will not be in the same car, since Viewliner cars only have two bedrooms. If being in the same car is important, you can also get two bedrooms and one roomette.

You say you will have four adults and three children, but don't say how big the kids are. If they are small (i.e. preschool age), then this should be fine. But if "children" is referring to adolescents, then you will likely need a fourth room, since Amtrak's rooms only have two beds per room.

The bedrooms can technically accommodate three, but two of them are going to have to share a bed. Someone else on the forum can speak to exactly how big that shared bed is (I have never been in the larger bedroom, so I wouldn't know).

rmadisonwi said:
The bedrooms can technically accommodate three, but two of them are going to have to share a bed. Someone else on the forum can speak to exactly how big that shared bed is (I have never been in the larger bedroom, so I wouldn't know).
The lower bunk in the bedroom can accomodate 2 people assuming that both are either on the skinny side or if one is a child under 4 or 5, then the adult could be larger. The top bunk is not large enough to share.

You can find the actual demensions of the bed here on Amtrak's site.

Back