Crescent OTP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThayerATM

OBS Chief
We're planning a trip from Rochester NY to Atlanta GA, then back.

The trip down to ATL looks pretty straighforward, although it does involve the obligatory overnight in New York City. When I examined the trip back, I saw that the Crescent (train 20) is scheduled into NYP at 1:46pm and the Lake Shore Limited (train 49) is scheduled out at 3:45pm. One hour and 59 minutes takes me outside my comfort level.

I would prefer to avoid a second overnight in New York City, but I need to know my chances of making that connection between the Crescent (20) and the Lake Shore Limited (49). I'd need the odds to be a little better than just a prayer, but I'm not hopeful. Any hints? :cool:

It looks like a guaranteed connection so Amtrak would either make sure you make the connection in some way or will put you up for the night.

It looks like a guaranteed connection so Amtrak would either make sure you make the connection in some way or will put you up for the night.
Although I haven't asked anyone at Amtrak yet, I kinda figured it was a guaranteed connection too. What we'd really like to avoid is all the "hanging out" in NYP waiting for the next day connection, and/or being dropped into coach on an alternate train. I think the Lake Shore Limited (49) is the last train out of NYP bound for Rochester on any day. There are some trains out the next morning, but they're all coach class only.

You can check historical data here:

http://www.amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com

Looks like you've got a pretty good shot at making the connection.
Thanks Ryan.

Looking at the train status history gives me one picture. Looking at the OTP times posted by Amtrak since last Sunday, a somewhat different picture is painted. Still, both samplings are too small to be statistically significant. I'll continue to track train 20 into NYP for a couple of months before I call Julie and make my reservations. I like calling Amtrak as far out as I can, in order to take advantage of the lower bucket prices, but I hate surprises, especially if they're somewhat predictable. :D

Best of both worlds.

Call now and book the low price.

If you find the OTP not to your liking, cancel for a full refund.

If you really want to get crazy, book the NY to Rochester leg for both the day the Crescent arrives and the next day. Cancel the one you don't plan on using closer to the trip.

Best of both worlds.

Call now and book the low price.

If you find the OTP not to your liking, cancel for a full refund.

If you really want to get crazy, book the NY to Rochester leg for both the day the Crescent arrives and the next day. Cancel the one you don't plan on using closer to the trip.
I like the way you think. :cool: The problem is that I won't know which NYP to ROC reservation to use 'till I'm in NYP that day and the train's either on time, or late. <_< That puts me inside the one-week window where all I'd get is a voucher --- not a refund. :lol:

But I'm going to take your suggestion, and book the whole trip now. Bedrooms are expensive enough at the lowest bucket price. There's no point in running up the price by waiting for the bucket to go up.

We just made the same trip in February. We live in Pittsford. To avoid spending the night in NYC, take train 280 from Rochester to NYP. Book Business class. It's the last car in the train. Very comfortable arrangement. Only a few dollars more than coach. We got into NYP in time for lunch and and reasonable wait for the Crescent. Only downside is that 280 leaves very early in the morning, but the free coffee in Business class helped.

We just made the same trip in February. We live in Pittsford. To avoid spending the night in NYC, take train 280 from Rochester to NYP. Book Business class. It's the last car in the train. Very comfortable arrangement. Only a few dollars more than coach. We got into NYP in time for lunch and and reasonable wait for the Crescent. Only downside is that 280 leaves very early in the morning, but the free coffee in Business class helped.
Now, that's a great idea. We ordinally take a sleeper, but I suppose they'd have most of the bodies cleaned out of business class by 5:30 in the morning. :lol: Five 30 in the morning is not a problem. :cool: And it would certainly be a pleasure to avoid that overnight in New York City on the way down. The Empire Service (train 280) will introduce another tight connection [eg. today's late arrival at 1:31 pm v/ the departure of the Crescent (19) at 2:15 pm, but that's certainly doable. This'll be our first trip without riding in a bedroom all the way, but to make the connections, it appears to be worth it.

This question is buried kinda deep in the thread, but is it possible to check luggage when taking Train 280 (Empire Service) out of ROC? It looks like checked luggage is not allowed on Train 280, although I don't see why it couldn't be put on Train 48 that comes through at 10:08am, bound for NYP. We'd be checking the luggage through to ATL anyway, and we wouldn't need it in NYP. It's no big trick to pack a change of clothes (or two) in the carry-on. If my arithmetic is correct, we'd probably get to ATL a day ahead of the luggage, but I'm sure my daughter wouldn't mind driving us back to the station to pick up the luggage the next day. :lol: BTW --- We live in Penfield.

No checked bags on 280, but the agent should have no trouble putting them on the LSL when it comes through.

As another alternative though, and I'm not sure how far Penfield is from the station, but could you drive there the day before with your checked bags? Then they would end up on the Crescent with you, instead of requiring a second trip to the station in Atlanta.

No checked bags on 280, but the agent should have no trouble putting them on the LSL when it comes through.

As another alternative though, and I'm not sure how far Penfield is from the station, but could you drive there the day before with your checked bags? Then they would end up on the Crescent with you, instead of requiring a second trip to the station in Atlanta.
Thanks for that suggestion, Alan.

As I've gotten older, I don't think up these great ideas as quickly as I used to. :lol: Penfield is about nine miles from the ROC station, and it would not be difficult at all to drive to the station the day before, and check the luggage. We'll do that. I'm sure Natalie will appreciate not having to make that drive into Atlanta again. :giggle:

I had misgivings about giving up a bedroom on the first leg of the trip, but Business Class saves us lots of $$$ by not having to overnight in NYC, as well as the cost of the bedroom. It's turning out to be a win-win situation. I doubt the daytime travel in Business Class will be as unpleasant as Coach in the middle of the night. :lol:

We'll still be able to take advantage of the Acela Lounge in NYP (having first class tickets on Train 19 that afternoon) for whatever length of time we have, waiting for 2:15pm to get there. We already have our lunch place picked out in NYP station.

Al

Just a couple of more points about taking 280. We took our luggage to the station the day before, it got loaded on 48, and, as was noted above, went with us on the Crescent. Additionally, about the Business class car, we went on AGR points on a 1 zone award, in a bedroom, but since there was no bedroom on 280, we were automatically booked into Business class. If you're paying cash for tickets, I think the additional cost for Business class is not very much, and well worth it. Believe me, on our trip that car was dead silent. A great trip! Enjoy!

We're planning a trip from Rochester NY to Atlanta GA, then back.

The trip down to ATL looks pretty straighforward, although it does involve the obligatory overnight in New York City. When I examined the trip back, I saw that the Crescent (train 20) is scheduled into NYP at 1:46pm and the Lake Shore Limited (train 49) is scheduled out at 3:45pm. One hour and 59 minutes takes me outside my comfort level.

I would prefer to avoid a second overnight in New York City, but I need to know my chances of making that connection between the Crescent (20) and the Lake Shore Limited (49). I'd need the odds to be a little better than just a prayer, but I'm not hopeful. Any hints? :cool:
Train number 20 is usually on time, if you look on the website it has a log of trains and times, # 20 has a 90% on time rate.

Moderator edit: combined original quote and answer.

Last edited:
Just a couple of more points about taking 280. We took our luggage to the station the day before, it got loaded on 48, and, as was noted above, went with us on the Crescent. Additionally, about the Business class car, we went on AGR points on a 1 zone award, in a bedroom, but since there was no bedroom on 280, we were automatically booked into Business class. If you're paying cash for tickets, I think the additional cost for Business class is not very much, and well worth it. Believe me, on our trip that car was dead silent. A great trip! Enjoy!
Well, I seem to still have even more questions. :rolleyes: Even in Business Class...

1) Is there a lounge car on train 280, or are are all cars simply coach class or business class seating? Not counting the engine. :lol:

2) When boarding, has Amtrak already pre-assigned our reserved seat numbers, or does the attendant do that when we board? We'd really like to sit together, and on the right side of the car going down the Hudson.

3) I'm getting kind of old to heft a carry-on case weighing 30 pounds into the luggage rack. Is the attendant usually cooperative in helping with that chore, or is there some other place to leave the bag?

1) Is there a lounge car on train 280, or are are all cars simply coach class or business class seating? Not counting the engine. :lol:
Business Class is half the car, the cafe is in the middle, and the lounge is the other half of the car.

2) When boarding, has Amtrak already pre-assigned our reserved seat numbers, or does the attendant do that when we board? We'd really like to sit together, and on the right side of the car going down the Hudson.
No pre-assigned seats and no assignment during boarding. And depending on which way the car is orientated, you may well find that the single seats are on the Hudson side. Hopefully there will be two seats together, but you may have to appeal to someone's good nature or sit separately.

3) I'm getting kind of old to heft a carry-on case weighing 30 pounds into the luggage rack. Is the attendant usually cooperative in helping with that chore, or is there some other place to leave the bag?
There is no attendant to help you. A nice conductor however may help.

Or you can leave the bag in the floor based luggage rack at the end of the car.

Well, I seem to still have even more questions. :rolleyes: Even in Business Class...

A few answers for you from a veteran 280 rider

1) The Business Class car on 280 is a half business/half lounge with 2/1 leather seating. It's nice, trust me.

2) No seats on Empire service are pre-assigned.

3) The attendant will help you, or there is some floor space towards the rear of the car.

Also, you should get your free New York Times from the cafe attendant when you get to Syracuse. Another benefit of the 280.

-Sav

Business Class is half the car, the cafe is in the middle, and the lounge is the other half of the car.

No pre-assigned seats and no assignment during boarding. And depending on which way the car is orientated, you may well find that the single seats are on the Hudson side. Hopefully there will be two seats together, but you may have to appeal to someone's good nature or sit separately.

There is no attendant to help you. A nice conductor however may help.

Or you can leave the bag in the floor based luggage rack at the end of the car.
Since you, and Guest_Guest, and Savoirfaire have painted such a good picture of Business Class on train 280, it sounds like it'll be a pretty enjoyable leg of the trip --- almost as good as the The Traveler's private car. :lol:

BTW, I did forget to ask: Are there any smoking stops between ROC and NYP? It doesn't really make any difference 'cuz I made our reservations today, and put it on my credit card, so we'll be going anyway. :cool:

Thayer,

I'm not sure if there are any other's, but certainly there would be one in Albany with a 15 minute layover.

I suppose that there might be a chance at either Syracuse or Utica.

Thayer,

I'm not sure if there are any other's, but certainly there would be one in Albany with a 15 minute layover.

I suppose that there might be a chance at either Syracuse or Utica.
I figured that since train 280 runs between Niagara Falls and New York City, there must be a crew change somewhere. But the timetable for the Empire Service (280) shows only one time for eash station. No "Ar" or "Dp" times.

Where do I find a more detailed timetable? That layover of 15 minutes in Albany would have been easy to spot if it had been in the timetable.

SYR to NYP is probably my most frequent Amtrak corridor. There is ALWAYS, even if the train is late a smoke stop in Albany-Rensselaer. The crew always changes there and there are a ton of people who board the train to go down to New York. One or two of the coaches at the front of the train are even kept closed until Albany for the number of people boarding there. A standard SYR to NYP ride for me (have never upgraded to Business Class, although after trying the comfy seats at National Train Day I might have to) on a crowded day is two seats to myself from SYR to ALB and then getting a aisle seat mate for the 2 1/2 trip down the Hudson.

Train #280 until one of the recent timetable changes operated about an hour later (my grandmother, the reason I go to SYR missed it used to the old schedule) but today Arrives in Albany at 9:50am and Departs at 10:05am. Smoking is amazingly still permitted on the platforms in Albany, although last year (I believe) it was banned from LIRR and Metro-North platforms (within New York State).

I know on the LSL SYR is a smoke stop but when I board Empire Service trains I rarely see people stepping off to smoke. It would probably be one of those stops that if you ask the crew they might quickly let you smoke but don't announce it. Utica has never been a smoke stop in all my years riding the train, I have never stepped off the train there although on my next trip to Syracuse when I can I am definitely going to plan a layover to explore its historic station. (I've got every Empire Service station on my website except Utica, Amsterdam and Schenectady).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back