Crescent Diner problems

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also wondered why they won't order new diners. It seems like the cost of fast food and paying unusable crew when a diner fails would cost more overtime than buying some more cars. Also replacing the existing ones should save more than spending so much on maintenance for them. One of the diners I've seen on the Crescent has a plaque on in the hallway that claims it was used on the Southern Pacific Daylights in the late 30's if this is true this car is approaching 80. I think its time to retire them and get some new one's the savings overtime would defiantly cover the cost.
Crescent ATN & TCL,

You're talking about Amtrak management who are so conditioned by undercapitalization to the point they fail to recognize such things. IMO, they are more worried about meeting a short-term budget, than doing The Right Thing for a long-term solution.

I hate to be so pessimistic about Amtrak management, but it seems to me many of them lack the moral courage to suggest replacing diners with new ones to cut down on operating costs, for example. Stop and think. When was the last time Amtrak achieved a standard of excellence in anything?

I think when Amtrak reservations put "Julie" into service was the last time I can remember. Please chime in with examples, if you can think of them.

I personally think a large portion of the company achieves a standard of excellence, but thats just me.

I personally think a large portion of the company achieves a standard of excellence, but thats just me.

I agree, can you really expect any better the way the Amtrak is so underfunded and hassled around. Personally I think they are working wonders with a bad situation. I would like to see an airline or bus company do as well under the same circumstances.

Yeah they are turning at Atlanta Mon-Thurs because of maintenance that was supposed to finish yesterday but won't for 2 more weeks. I dunno if they are going back to the regular schedule or not. A good number of people say they aren't going to be running but Amtrak.com will let you book tickets south of Atlanta.
still just weekdays, right? <gulp> i'm supposed to got NYP>NOL on the 14th (arriving the 15th) and then back to WAS on the 22nd/23rd. and i sure don't want to take a bus. :unsure:
You'll be okay, they are running those days regardless, they run the full route on the trains that leave NYP Thurs-Sat and they get to NOL Fri-Sun, then trains originate from NOL Fri-Sun.
thanks for the reassurances! i just looked at amtrak delays, and it looks like it has been running all this week.

i leave tomorrow -- i'll let y'all know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back