Crescent Consist (April)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dank

Train Attendant
Could someone list all the cars in order on Crescent 19? I will be taking it to NOLA in April and was curious as to the train's configuration. Thanks.

That's tricky. In April, it should look like this:

19/20 Crescent

Electric Locomotive NYP-WAS

Diesel Locomotive WAS-NOL

-----I------ -------LDSL Baggage Car

1978/2078------Business Class

1911/2011----- Viewliner Sleeper

1910/2010---- Viewliner Sleeper

------l------ ------LDSL Diner

------I------ ------Lounge

1940/2040------Amfleet II Coach

1941/2041------Amfleet II Coach

1942/2042------Amfleet II Coach

However, last year they kept the winter configuration almost until summer. If that is the case, the coaches will be on the head end and the sleepers and bag will be on the rear end. Additionally, you're traveling near spring break, you can expect to see a forth coach (1943/2043).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's tricky. In April, it should look like this:

19/20 Crescent

Electric Locomotive NYP-WAS

-----I------ -------LDSL Baggage Car

1978/2078------Business Class

1911/2011----- Viewliner Sleeper

1910/2010---- Viewliner Sleeper

------l------ ------LDSL Diner

------I------ ------Lounge

1940/2040------Amfleet II Coach

1941/2041------Amfleet II Coach

1942/2042------Amfleet II Coach

However, last year they kept the winter configuration almost until summer. If that is the case, the coaches will be on the head end and the sleepers and bag will be on the rear end. Additionally, you're traveling near spring break, you can expect to see a forth coach (1943/2043).
Thank you for the information!

Is the reason that the BC car is put before or after the sleepers (depending on the order of the consist) because, due to the relatively fewer passengers in BC, that there will be less foot traffic overall through the sleepers (that is, BC passengers going to the cafe car or diner)?

No, it's because at least one handicap bedroom needs to be directly adjacent to the dining car.

(edited to correct my typo, I meant bedroom but my fingers typed bathroom).

The consist in late August, late November, and late December, 2017, had four coaches behind the engine, then lounge, diner, two sleepers, business, and finally baggage.

I hope they'll keep this for May also. Sleepers ride better towards the rear for less noise, with two more cars behind to dampen whipping.

The bedroom is key too, it puts the H room steps away from the diner (and the Diner has an accessible table at that end for the same reason).

The bathroom is dead wrong, since there aren't public restrooms in Viewliner sleepers (this will change in approximately 2047 with the arrival of the first VL2 Sleeper).

So can anyone clairfy this for me. I saw a video online (youtube) that showed a guy reviewing busines class on Amtrak. The seats were leather and it had the 2-1 configuration. Then I saw another video where the person claimed to be on the Crescent and the busines class seats were in the 2-2 configuration and were the blue cloth like in coach. I believe he might have been in coach but the car was empty which makes me think he was in business class. Can anyone confirm if the Crescent is 2-1 configuration and has the leather seats or is it the standard 2-2 and blue cloth seats. Thanks.

Crescent BC is normally an AM2 coach. Many trains (like Empire Service for example) use a split cafe/BC car which features the 2-1 seating at one end, and tables at the other service counter in the middle. NER trains generally use an AM1 BC car which is 2-2. There are so many different iterations for what is sold as BC, what amenities are included, and how it is constituted based on many different factors, it is a source of endless discussion. Keep in mind that on the AM1 BC cars they are in the process of having the seat covers and cushions changed, blue cloth is out. That would not affect the AM2 on the Crescent at this time.

This guy gives it one chance in three.
attachicon.gif
hunt-for-red-october-sean-connery-300x189.jpg
I like that!

The bedroom is key too, it puts the H room steps away from the diner (and the Diner has an accessible table at that end for the same reason).

The bathroom is dead wrong, since there aren't public restrooms in Viewliner sleepers (this will change in approximately 2047 with the arrival of the first VL2 Sleeper).
Arriving that soon? I can hardly wait until I’m 98!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back