Crescent Business Class - Equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spidersfan351

Train Attendant
I've looked in our forum and not seen it mentioned. What exactly is the consist of the Crescent now that it has business class? What is the car they are using to provide this with?

AmtrakLKL provided the answer to the car they are using in the Business Class Offered Aboard Crescent Trains 19 and 20 thread:

My understanding is a regular Amfleet II coach will be positioned between the sleepers and diner for the business class service. I'm assuming this will result in a reduction of coach capacity as one coach will simply move from the back to the middle. I wonder what people will think boarding a car labeled "coachclass".
The consist part of your question was answered by me in the Line Numbers/Consist Listings thread:

I will no longer be maintaing this page (6/13/2014).

As far as I am aware, these are the current line numbers/equipment requirements. Use the information however you like, but please keep in mind that train consists change, and there is no guarantee that any individual train will match what is listed below.Subject to change over the next few hours/days/weeks/months/years. All contributions and corrections welcome.

19/20Crescent

4 setsHIA pool

1943|2043 —— Amfleet II Coach1942|2042 —— Amfleet II Coach

1941|2041 —— Amfleet II Coach1940|2040 —— Amfleet II Coach

----|---- —— Amfleet II Lounge----|---- —— Heritage Diner

1910|2010 —— Viewliner Sleeper1911|2011 —— Viewliner Sleeper

----|---- —— Heritage Baggage

Revised to read:19/20 Crescent

Electric Locomotive NYP-WASDiesel Locomotive WAS-NOL

Diesel Locomotive WAS-NOL-----I------ -------LDSL Baggage Car

1911/2011----- Viewliner Sleeper1910/2010---- Viewliner Sleeper

------l------ ------Heritage Diner1978/2078------Business Class

------I------ ------Lounge1940/2040------Amfleet II Coach

1941/2041------Amfleet II Coach1942/2042------Amfleet II Coach

Last edited by a moderator:
So have these business class cars been upgraded at all, or just regular corridor equipment.

That I understand, what differentiates a business class car from a coach. I rode on the empire service BC cars cafe/ BC with 2-1 seating. Just trying to picture the cars and the up grade.

That I understand, what differentiates a business class car from a coach. I rode on the empire service BC cars cafe/ BC with 2-1 seating. Just trying to picture the cars and the up grade.
My understanding is.... The Amfleet II Coaches, and the Amfleet II Business cars on the Crescent are exactly the same. If there are any differences, they are minor and have nothing to do with the seats. (But perhaps they have a small service area for the drinks?)

Ok. Let's be clear. Their are no Amfleet II Business Class cars. Only the Amfleet I cars have a Business Class car.

The Amfleet II's being used for Business class are coach cars.
Well... do we actually know that? Has anyone seen the Crescent Business Class cars, it's certainly possible they have been modified, however so slightly, for this service. I'm thinking a small counter for coffee / beverages, etc. Or do we know for sure they are just using standard Amfeet II's?

I would be very surprised if they would actually create a sub fleet of Amfleet II cars and then maintain reserves for that sub fleet of 20% plus protect cars and so on and so forth. But one never knows :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair though, when the Palmetto was still running to Miami (after it was the Silver Palm), the Business Class car was an Amfleet II. It had a permanently installed cooler in the back near the restrooms, and monitors in the luggage racks that showed movies. Granted, I don't think we'll see that again, but it has been done before.

To be fair though, when the Palmetto was still running to Miami (after it was the Silver Palm), the Business Class car was an Amfleet II. It had a permanently installed cooler in the back near the restrooms, and monitors in the luggage racks that showed movies. Granted, I don't think we'll see that again, but it has been done before.
Those were renumbered into the 26000-series. 26024 was a regular on 89/90.ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1460428764.312150.jpg

79/80 at one time had captive AM2 BC cars with the "Carolina Business Class" logo on the B end.

Ok. Let's be clear. Their are no Amfleet II Business Class cars. Only the Amfleet I cars have a Business Class car.

The Amfleet II's being used for Business class are coach cars.
Well... do we actually know that? Has anyone seen the Crescent Business Class cars, it's certainly possible they have been modified, however so slightly, for this service. I'm thinking a small counter for coffee / beverages, etc. Or do we know for sure they are just using standard Amfeet II's?
w
Well considering that I saw the crescent at TRE Friday with the Amfleet II that said Coachclass and a 25xxx series. I'm pretty sure.

I've heard there are a few issues. Passengers aren't happy to hear it is the exact same coach seat. There are no "soft" amenities such as blankets or pillows. Beyond free drinks and digital newspapers, there is nothing distinguishing the service from coach.

Positioning between the lounge and diner presents some issues. There is coach traffic through BC to/from the diner. The coach attendant working the last coach also services the BC car trash and restrooms, so they've got a hike between cars. This also presents issues boarding/detraining, especially at night when only one attendant is working.

We're not even two weeks into the Business Class program on the Crescent, so hopefully some of these issues will be ironed out. I think BC passengers should at least be issued the $10 pillow/blanket amenity kit as on Auto Train. The seats certainly aren't going to be changed anytime soon, probably not ever. I'm glad Amtrak is trying to raise revenue rather than cut costs for once, they just have to provide some value/differentiation for the increased cost which I don't see currently on the Crescent.

Here's what I don't understand... not one of the "issues" AmtrakLKL just mentioned should be surprising to anyone who regularly rides Amtrak, or anyone who actually works the trains. This is not a problem unique to Amtrak, it is happening everywhere in corporations. Managers who get a business degree that have no clue of the actual operations of the business. I find it extremely frustrating.

Since the digital newspaper is pretty much worthless (seriously does anyone see any value in that?) all you are paying for bottled water and coffee.

I suppose you have a better chance of getting a seat to yourself if you are traveling alone, on Coach it's almost 0 chance (North of Atlanta at least).

The comfort kits are an obvious simple fix, as is a coupon that can be used in the Diner or Cafe.

I mentioned before, it seems odd that Amtrak would not want to give the Business class riders included dining car meals to help "pad" the dining car revenue. Or.. here's an idea.. have special "Happy Hour" in Business class only. Have the LSA from the Diner take orders for special snacks and drink specials available and served from the dining car. This would sell from the usual dining car stock, and all the revenue would go to the Diner.

Tonight's train 19 tops out at 163 passengers on board at Alexandria Virginia. 130 in coach 30 in the sleepers and 3 in Business Class. After Lynchburg Va, Business Class is empty until Taccoa Ga where 4 people are scheduled to board.

Well... If this keeps up.... It's worth it to be able to spread out. Heck I would try to tip the Attendant into flipping seats and giving everyone a 4 seater! (Joke! Sorta....).

Yeah, when I learned it was basically the 2-2 seating, I figured, "what's the point". Give me SOMETHING for the upgrade. I think having 2-1 seating would be WONDERFUL and I'd gladly pay the upgrade for that.

If it's not crowded, but fewer passengers and it's quiet, clean, and comfortable leather seats,clean rest rooms, then yes - I would pay to upgrade. Especially if a roomette was priced too high, or was unavailable. Perfect alternative on an overnight trip where you arrived at your destination before 9 AM (like Atlanta).

Has anyone seen the interior of the BC car? I would expect some kind of upgraded seat, perhaps leather, or faux leather, or better material and thicker padding...

I know that the NEC Amfleet l BC cars have thicker seats with greater legroom. The Cardinal BC has new leather seats, so they must have switched out the old faux leather for real leather in the two BC Cardinal cars.

I forgot to mention one other thing. Since all complimentary drinks now come from the lounge, passengers boarding and detraining at night get nothing. Greensboro to Greenville comes to mind.

Something else I've noticed - it is difficult to find business class on the Amtrak.com pricing matrix. Business class should be a separate column, instead it is lumped under Premium which always displays a room by default. Unless you know to click through the premium selections you won't find business class. I expect business bookings will go up when coach sells out. :giggle:

Back