Crescent between WAS & NYP cancelled for summer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several regional trains will be canceled and some Empire Service trains will be sent to Grand Central Terminal as part of the work project.
Can trains be re-routed from Penn to Grand Central?
I assume you mean from the south. In theory, yes, but there would be no point to it. Trains would first have to enter Penn Station proper (which is what you're trying to avoid), and either pass through or reverse back out onto the Empire Connection (either option requiring a locomotive change, too).

Hope the NY and NJ Governors are happy that Amtrak is taking most of the re-scheduling burden.
Given the sheer number of trains NJ Transit runs into Penn, plus LIRR, there is no way the majority of the burden falls upon Amtrak. Just for the sake of argument, were Amtrak (intercity service) the only thing using Penn Station, there wouldn't ever be a problem (nor need for Gateway).

I think we can say that Amtrak is fairly and reasonably sharing the rescheduling burden for Penn Station service, and they deserve credit for that.

The scheduled arrival time NOL is 9 pm local. # 20 departure remains at 7 am. If 19 is late, which it usually is, there could be challenges re: required crew rest time.
19 and 20 have become late many days. Have not looked at their histories but would say that they are taking a delay each way Atlanta <> Anniston of 0:15 to 1:00 over schedule of almost 2/3rd of the days. There has been ideal time between the two stations of actually 0:25 minutes under schedule,

The problem ? Most days it is CSX freights that foul the NS tracks that cross CSX at Howell interlocking in Atlanta. CSX track was their first. CSX does not even get charged for the freight train interference. Now occasionally NS may interfere at Howell or Austell but you can imagine that at times al three choke points can delay a Crescent. The biggest day have noted was over 2:00.

It is too bad the monthly performance report ( MPR ) does not show CSX causing these delays that are put on NS. With Hunter Harrison running longer trains appears blockages at Howell are getting longer. Howell CP is a lead for switching at Atlanta's CSX Tilford yard. As well NS freights crossing at Howell are getting more delays.

Example tonight's 20/3 was 13 minutes over schedule

Last edited by a moderator:
19 and 20 have become late many days. Have not looked at their histories but would say that they are taking a delay each way Atlanta <> Anniston of 0:15 to 1:00 over schedule of almost 2/3rd of the days. There has been ideal time between the two stations of actually 0:25 minutes under schedule,

The problem ? Most days it is CSX freights that foul the NS tracks that cross CSX at Howell interlocking in Atlanta. CSX track was their first. CSX does not even get charged for the freight train interference. Now occasionally NS may interfere at Howell or Austell but you can imagine that at times al three choke points can delay a Crescent. The biggest day have noted was over 2:00.

It is too bad the monthly performance report ( MPR ) does not show CSX causing these delays that are put on NS. With Hunter Harrison running longer trains appears blockages at Howell are getting longer. Howell CP is a lead for switching at Atlanta's CSX Tilford yard. As well NS freights crossing at Howell are getting more delays.

Example tonight's 20/3 was 13 minutes over schedule
Actually, many of the delays are between TCL and MEI because of several single track sections and one ended sidings. The crews call it the Bermuda Triangle.

Is there anything to see near the Virginia stations on the Crescent (Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Culpeper, or Manassas)? I will be transferring between 20 and 176 in July and although I like DC alot, I have travelled there many times so was wondering if the other stations had any interesting areas to walk around near the stations. If 20 missed the connection to 176 on a multi-city ticket, would I be able to stay on 20 until DC to get another connecting train or would it be much safer to just book a transfer in DC?

I've always enjoyed downtown Charlottesville. And in the era of Uber, even rides to places like Monticello shouldn't be out of the question (depending on the day/hours when you are going to be in town, of course).

Charlottesville has many restaurants, one (or more?) brew pubs, a pedestrian shopping mall that runs for several blocks, and some good used bookstores within a short walk from the station. The university is also walking distance. Check out google maps for details.

Back