Crescent 20 now carries local NEC traffic northbound

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkelman06

Train Attendant
Looking at the Crescent schedule, 20 now makes most of the local stops on the NEC while its southbound counterpart does not. It looks like the Crescent is the only long distance train that now stops at BWI, Princeton Junction, New Brunswick, and Metro Park.

Wondering why 20 does, but not 19 or any of the Silvers or Cardinal. I'm sure there is a good reason, just can't figure it out.

Maybe since the full NEC schedule has not been restored, there is a hole in schedule during that time frame that passengers were looking to travel? Not that the timekeeping of #20 is conducive to solve the problem....

What dates are you looking at? For 11/10/21, I see 51, 91, 19 and 97 have available seats for NYP - WIL (about 1/2 way to WAS). And only 20 for WIL - NYP.

Looking at the Crescent schedule, 20 now makes most of the local stops on the NEC while its southbound counterpart does not. It looks like the Crescent is the only long distance train that now stops at BWI, Princeton Junction, New Brunswick, and Metro Park.
Very surprised, not many trains stop in PJC or NBW (did I get the codes right?) in the first place.

not many trains stop in PJC or NBW (did I get the codes right?)

PJC is indeed Princeton Junction. I am amazed that the Crescent would stop there. It was my commuter rail stop for many years before I retired, and hardly any Amtrak trains stopped there. The Palmetto (southbound only), plus a couple of Regionals.

It was a wonderful station for train watching, however—I often got to watch an Acela or the Silver Meteor zoom through while I waited for my New Jersey Transit train.

Last edited:
None of the LDs should handle shorts going northbound because of the horrible OTP. And it lets the trains make up some serious time when it's drop off only. Something we should have left well enough alone. I also don't like using the LD trains for the corridor as that lets rooms and seats fill up for longer hauls like NYP-ATL, or NYP-NOL. Forcing the price higher.

So I will still have to take 19 out of Newark but 20 goes local, does anyone know if this is just for now or is this going to be the definite schedule
See my comment above - the southbound LDs are currently, and have been for some time, allowing pax to board between NYP & WAS.

@merkelman06 , I think you need to clarify what you mean. Are you talking specifically about those stations in your original post or all stations between NYP & WAS?
As I stated above, the southbound LDs allow “local” pax between NYP & WAS.

@merkelman06 , I think you need to clarify what you mean. Are you talking specifically about those stations in your original post or all stations between NYP & WAS?
As I stated above, the southbound LDs allow “local” pax between NYP & WAS.

All LD trains north and south stop at Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Trenton, and Newark.

The northbound Crescent makes all those station stops, but now also stops at BWI, Princeton Junction, New Brunswick, and Metro Park. The northbound Crescent is the only LD train that makes the stops at BWI, Princeton Junction, New Brunswick, and Metro Park. No other LD train stops at BWI, Princeton Junction, New Brunswick, and Metro Park including the southbound Crescent.

How early are bookings allowed for 20 north of WAS ? Once 20 leaves Greensboro the probable times out of WAS are good estimates. Do we know if bookings are just allowed for shorts that get off WAS and north ? Past history when Southern RR operated almost half cars were taken off / originated at WAS. Extra sections usually terminated / originated at WAS.

If 20 is filling a regional gap then can see its suitability. Maybe when full NEC service can begin at the end of C-19 maybe these stops for 20 will disappear ?

How early are bookings allowed for 20 north of WAS ? Once 20 leaves Greensboro the probable times out of WAS are good estimates. Do we know if bookings are just allowed for shorts that get off WAS and north ? Past history when Southern RR operated almost half cars were taken off / originated at WAS. Extra sections usually terminated / originated at WAS.

If 20 is filling a regional gap then can see its suitability. Maybe when full NEC service can begin at the end of C-19 maybe these stops for 20 will disappear ?
As stated above this apparently has been available since before COVID-19. You can easily check how far out you can book it by doing a test booking 😉

Maybe I’m just slow lol- spell it out for me lol. I have always taken Crescent from NO to see my daughter in Jersey, getting on and off in Newark. She lives in Somerset, New Brunswick area, she picks me up in Newark, if I can make it easier for her by getting on or off somewhere else I would. So sorry, brain fog lol

Maybe I’m just slow lol- spell it out for me lol. I have always taken Crescent from NO to see my daughter in Jersey, getting on and off in Newark. She lives in Somerset, New Brunswick area, she picks me up in Newark, if I can make it easier for her by getting on or off somewhere else I would. So sorry, brain fog lol
Best way to know is to try booking to the station closest to her. ;)

This discussion made me curious about booking private room sleeper space locally between WAS-NYP and intermediate stops (daytime type seat space) so I called a friend in Amtrak admin. You can (if you want to pay the price) on 66/67, of course, but also the long distance trains Crescent, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. For some unknown reason NOT the Silver Star.

This discussion made me curious about booking private room sleeper space locally between WAS-NYP and intermediate stops (daytime type seat space) so I called a friend in Amtrak admin. You can (if you want to pay the price) on 66/67, of course, but also the long distance trains Crescent, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. For some unknown reason NOT the Silver Star.
But only southbound except for 65/66/67

Back