Couple of Surprises Today on #22/#21 AUS-TAY-AUS Double Days Run

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Today, Fri 5/10 saw Heavy Rain Falling All Over Central Texas, First Real Rain in a Couple of Years!!! :)

#22, the NB Texas Eagle Rolled into the Austin Station 15 minutes Early @ 9:15AM usual Consist Plus on the Back were 2 PVs that I'd not Seen Before, a Central Pacific Biz Car(Promotory Point)in UP Yellow and Red and Bringing up the Markers a Platform Pullman (Federal) in Dark Blue! :cool: One of the Pax on the Pullman told me they were on the way to Chicago/Omaha/Cheyenne/Denver/Kansas City and then on to LAX! Only Way to Travel!

A Large group Boarded (over 50!!!), both in the 2 Sleepers and the 3 Coaches! Only the Second Time I've ever seen Seats Assigned on #22!! The Conductor told me the Train would be Full All of the way to CHI!! Can't be True! Everyone Knows No-One Rides Trains Anymore! <_<

We pulled into the Taylor Freight Yards On Time and the Conductor told me that they didn't Fuel up the Train in SAS the night before so the Train had to wait on a Fuel Truck to Come out , the Conductor told me that it took 600 Gallons Minimum SAS-FTW, another First on this Route!

After a Great Bar-B-Q Lunch (and a Day of Nice Rain!) #21 Arrived only 30 Minutes Down after having been 2 Hours Late in Arkansas During the Night and we Highballed in to Austin only 30 minutes Late to be Greeted by more Wonderful Rain coming out of the Sky! :) :) :)

Happy Train Day to All No Matter Where you are! :hi: I'll be in WAS, /PHL and GCT( in Spirit) with the AU Gang, First One I've Missed in 4 years! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
We pulled into the Taylor Freight Yards On Time and the Conductor told me that they didn't Fuel up the Train in SAS the night before so the Train had to wait on a Fuel Truck to Come out , the Conductor told me that it took 600 Gallons Minimum SAS-FTW, another First on this Route!
Why didn't they fill up in SAS? Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen them fill up the Eagle. Sounds like you really enjoyed your trip. If the Eagle departed SAS at 9:30AM instead of 7:00AM and arrived at 6:30PM instead of 10:00PM I'd probably make use of it a lot more often.

With a six hour layover that must be a lot of B-B-Que in Taylor.
Taylor is actually a pretty Neat Place! An old Farm and Railroad town (the Amtrak Station is a Picnic Table outside the Old MoPac Station in the Freight Yards that serves as the District UP Headquarters and is a good Rail Fan sight for Freight!. Amtrak Pax are Welcome to use the Restrooms/Vending Machines etc. and Wait in the Break Room Inside!) More and More Folks are Boarding/De-Boarding @ this Suburban Station., it's easier to get to than the Downtown Austin Station)

Plenty of Places to Eat besides the 3 Bar-B-Q Joints, a Really Nice City Library, Junk er Antique/Collectible Stores and there's even a Closed Bar/Restaurant that has an old Southern RR Diner as the Kitchen with a Steamer Water Tank as the Bar!

And a Really Nice City Park with a Lake and Creek that has Lots of Ducks, Geese, Songbirds etc. and an Island in the Lake that is the Home to Hundreds of Water Birds! Also there are many Grand Old Interesting Buildings and Homes that are being Restored! (compared to Austin Real Estate is a Steal!)

The Time goes by Fast and Julie lets me know when to head for the Station to catch #21 back to the City! I'd call it a Small Temple minus the Rail Museum and it has lots more to see and do than Cleburne!

With a six hour layover that must be a lot of B-B-Que in Taylor.
Taylor is actually a pretty Neat Place! An old Farm and Railroad town (the Amtrak Station is a Picnic Table outside the Old MoPac Station in the Freight Yards that serves as the District UP Headquarters and is a good Rail Fan sight for Freight!. Amtrak Pax are Welcome to use the Restrooms/Vending Machines etc. and Wait in the Break Room Inside!) More and More Folks are Boarding/De-Boarding @ this Suburban Station., it's easier to get to than the Downtown Austin Station)

Plenty of Places to Eat besides the 3 Bar-B-Q Joints, a Really Nice City Library, Junk er Antique/Collectible Stores and there's even a Closed Bar/Restaurant that has an old Southern RR Diner as the Kitchen with a Steamer Water Tank as the Bar!

And a Really Nice City Park with a Lake and Creek that has Lots of Ducks, Geese, Songbirds etc. and an Island in the Lake that is the Home to Hundreds of Water Birds! Also there are many Grand Old Interesting Buildings and Homes that are being Restored! (compared to Austin Real Estate is a Steal!)

The Time goes by Fast and Julie lets me know when to head for the Station to catch #21 back to the City! I'd call it a Small Temple minus the Rail Museum and it has lots more to see and do than Cleburne!
jim i know u like the BBQ IN taylor, but u told me the best BBQ in central texas was at the huntsville unit at Texas Dept of Corrections,, do u know the guards there have u tryed the BBQ :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back