Couple of questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I am considering a round about trip from Cleveland to Portland, Oregon to SAC back to Cle using the CZ and either the LSL or CL. I plan to use my AGR points for a sleeper from Wolf Point to Denver. One question: how should I book it, book the AGR part first and then the other parts or try to do it all at the same time. Second question: in light of the Empire Builder cancellations recently, if part of the trip is cancelled by Amtrak, what happens to the points I used for the trip. I would be traveling in February on the EB as well as the CZ so it is a possibility. I'd hate to lose 15,000 points with nothing to show for it. How would it be handled if I used the AGR points from let's say Wolf Point to SAC but then the CZ was canceled. Then what? Would I get a pro rated refund of points?

I would book the AGR part first, and then immediately call up Amtrak to book the rest assuming that you're going to try to match the sleeper you got from AGR. If you're going coach, then it doesn't matter. But no matter what, AGR can't book the paid part of the trip and a regular Amtrak agent can't book the AGR portion.

As for you second question, it depends on what get's cancelled and whether you've traveled any part of the journey. But yes, one could expect a pro-rated point refund if you travel part of the journey but not all.

I would book the AGR part first, and then immediately call up Amtrak to book the rest assuming that you're going to try to match the sleeper you got from AGR. If you're going coach, then it doesn't matter. But no matter what, AGR can't book the paid part of the trip and a regular Amtrak agent can't book the AGR portion.
I've done this before. When you book the sleeper with AGR, make sure the room is available for the whole trip. Then as soon as it's booked, get the room and car numbers and have the AGR agent connect you to a regular Amtrak agent. This gives you the best chance of getting the same room for the rest of the trip before someone else gets it.

One time when I did this, the Amtrak agent told me that I could also do it the other way around (call Amtrak first, AGR second) but I've never done it that way.

Back