Could use some advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter In July

Train Attendant
Here are some of the details on my upcoming trip.

KCY (Kansas City, MO) to TRI (Trinidad, CO) and return. Train 3/4 (Southwest Chief)

My trip will be in January or February 2008.

I am going to book my trip this month.

My stay in TRI will be 10 days.

The plan is to go with a Roomette on 3 and 4, but I will need an Accessible Bedroom and bath on 4.

On board time...

(train #3) 11 hours 55 minutes (10:55 pm to 09:50 am)

(train #4) 12 hours 10 minutes (06:16 pm to 07:26 am)

Question #1 What times do they normally serve Breakfast and Dinner? Will they be available during the time I am on the train?

Question #2 Since I am doing an Roomette on 3 (and 4), what are the odds I will be able to upgrade to a bedroom (between these two points)? If I understand correctly, if there is unsold space one can upgrade at a discount. I may have a friend going with me and the extra room would be nice.

Question #3 As I mentioned before, on my return trip (train 4), I am booking a roomette but I will need an accessible bedroom (I am going to TRI for surgery). From what I understand, I can only request an accessible bedroom within so many days before I can get the room. As it is, If none are available, will they upgrade me to a regular bedroom at no additional cost?

Question #4 What kind of documentation will I need to book an accessible bedroom.

Question #5 Do these trains run close to schedule?

Extra points. What kind of weather can I expect in the southern part of Colorado, that time of year?

I know I will have other questions but I thought I would put these out now.

Thanks in advance,

April

Last edited by a moderator:
Question #1 What times do they normally serve Breakfast and Dinner? Will they be available during the time I am on the train?
You will miss dinner on three, but should have time for breakfast the next morning. On Four, you should get dinner and if you get up early enough, you should have time for a quick breakfast. But if the train is precisely on time, then you must be in the diner by 6:30 AM in order to have time to eat and get back to your room before your stop. Also make that you are completely packed up befor going to breakfast.

Question #2 Since I am doing an Roomette on 3 (and 4), what are the odds I will be able to upgrade to a bedroom (between these two points)? If I understand correctly, if there is unsold space one can upgrade at a discount. I may have a friend going with me and the extra room would be nice.
You might have a decent chance at an onboard upgrade, but a lot depends on luck of the draw and whethere you are traveling on a weekend or near a holidy.

Question #3 As I mentioned before, on my return trip (train 4), I am booking a roomette but I will need an accessible bedroom (I am going to TRI for surgery). From what I understand, I can only request an accessible bedroom within so many days before I can get the room. As it is, If none are available, will they upgrade me to a regular bedroom at no additional cost?
If your surgury is going to leave you in need of the handicapped room, then you do not need to wait to book the handicapped room. You just cannot do it via the online system. You must call Amtrak or visit an agent at the station to book the room. They will tell you what, if any proof, they need to confirm the handicapped room for you. At most they might ask you to send in a doctor's note, but I don't believe that you'll have any trouble booking the handicapped room right now.

But do not wait until the last minute as they may well be gone by then and I don't believe that Amtrak will give you a bedroom in lieu of the handicapped room at the same price.

It's one of Amtrak's better performers in the on time category, and when they are late usually it's only by a couple of hours. But things can and do occasionally go wrong. Especially if there is a heavy snow in the mountain's north of ABQ.

Finally, I'm moving this over to the Amtrak forum, since it's not a trip report and because you'll probably get additional responses over in our busiest forum. :)

February is the one of slow months, so you'll most likely to get an upgrade unless Chicago airports are shut down due to bad weather and travelers are scrambling for alternative transportation.

I agree with Alan, you'll have to call "Julie".

Southwest Chief is one of the best on-time performance since the track is owned by BNSF on most of the line. Other part would be by the state of NM.

Extra points. What kind of weather can I expect in the southern part of Colorado, that time of year?
It'll be cold and windy from the north if there's cold front from Canada. As for the snow, it won't be too much to close down the tracks. In average, it is less than last year which was one of the worst on record. Worst area would be in Raton Pass and northern NM, on the way to Lamy, NM (Santa Fe).

Here are some of the details on my upcoming trip.
KCY (Kansas City, MO) to TRI (Trinidad, CO) and return. Train 3/4 (Southwest Chief)

My trip will be in January or February 2008.

I am going to book my trip this month.

My stay in TRI will be 10 days.

The plan is to go with a Roomette on 3 and 4, but I will need an Accessible Bedroom and bath on 4.

On board time...

(train #3) 11 hours 55 minutes (10:55 pm to 09:50 am)

(train #4) 12 hours 10 minutes (06:16 pm to 07:26 am)

Question #4 What kind of documentation will I need to book an accessible bedroom.

I know I will have other questions but I thought I would put these out now.

Thanks in advance,

April
Just one addition; I have found that the accessible bedroom is always cheaper than the deluxe bedrooms. If you have just had surgery you will enjoy not having to walk upstairs if you don't feel up to it. The attendant will bring you a meal menu and your meals to your room if you so desire. I usually try for the accessible bedroom, especially on Viewliner equipment, and have NEVER been asked for documentation or proof of disability.

Thanks everyone! You've cleared up many of my concerns. :)

I just discovered The Official Onboard Sleeper Upgrade Thread.

That is a great resource.

I'm sure I will have a few more questions. Stand by... ;)

April

Couple more Q's.

Let's say I make my reservation for a February trip in the next week or two (and do so on line). Should I call the 1-800 number (to reserve the accessible room) as soon as they confirm my trip. Or is that too soon?

Since I will book a roomette on my return trip (TRI to KCY) and then request an accessible bedroom, will they charge me extra for my "upgrade"?

Another question on the return leg. Can my friend go to the dining car and bring my meal (along with hers) back to our room or must I get my meal through the service attendant?

Thanks again,

:)

April

Let's say I make my reservation for a February trip in the next week or two (and do so on line). Should I call the 1-800 number (to reserve the accessible room) as soon as they confirm my trip. Or is that too soon?
Since I will book a roomette on my return trip (TRI to KCY) and then request an accessible bedroom, will they charge me extra for my "upgrade"?
I would only book your outbound leg via the internet and not bother with the home bound leg at all. Just call Amtrak to directly reserve the handicapped room. There is no advantage to booking a roomette first on line and then calling Amtrak to upgrade it to the accessible room. In fact it might even complicate things for the agent if you did that. If you do book the roomette first, you will have to pay the difference between its price and that of the accessible room. But again, I don't recommend doing that.

Another question on the return leg. Can my friend go to the dining car and bring my meal (along with hers) back to our room or must I get my meal through the service attendant?
That seems to depend on the crew. Some crews allow passengers to do that, while other crews will not allow a passenger to directly take food out of the diner. Even if you ask the attendant for your meals though, there is no reason that he/she can't bring both your meal and your friends. Just be sure to tip appropriately. Also know that the table in the room isn't very large, so getting two plates on it could be an interesting experience.

On the accessible room price, is it between the cost of a roomette and a regular bedroom?
Or?

April
There is no simple easy way to answer that question. Sorry. :(

As a general rule, yes the price is in between that of a roomette and a bedroom. However, since Amtrak raises prices as rooms sell, it is possible to find that a roomette costs more than the handicapped room, or if the H-room you are currently booking is the last on the train but no bedrooms have sold, you could find that the H-room costs more than a bedroom.

On the accessible room price, is it between the cost of a roomette and a regular bedroom?

Or?

April
There is no simple easy way to answer that question. Sorry. :(

As a general rule, yes the price is in between that of a roomette and a bedroom. However, since Amtrak raises prices as rooms sell, it is possible to find that a roomette costs more than the handicapped room, or if the H-room you are currently booking is the last on the train but no bedrooms have sold, you could find that the H-room costs more than a bedroom.
No worries, :)

I did work it up two ways (in February) Roomette KCI to TRI and return-> $552.00

Roomette KCI-TRI. Regular bedroom on return---------------------------------> $676.00

$124 diffence

I guess that is not that bad.

April

Another question. As far as prices are concerned, does it make a difference on which day of the week one travels?

I did work it up two ways (in February) Roomette KCI to TRI and return-> $552.00
Roomette KCI-TRI. Regular bedroom on return---------------------------------> $676.00

$124 diffence
Well again those prices and that difference in price is based upon the dates that you selected. Pick different dates, perhaps two months later and you might see a different price.

Just to give you a partial idea, the low price for a roomette on that train one way from Chicago to LA is $287 above the rail fare. The one way low price for a bedroom is $587, $300 more. However if we go look at the other side, the high prices are $695 and $1,326. And there are three intermediary price levels in between the highs and the lows. So if more roomettes have sold when you check prices, the difference between a roomette and a bedroom would go down. On the other hand if bedrooms are selling better, then the difference could be greater since the prices for bedrooms would be going up.

Another question. As far as prices are concerned, does it make a difference on which day of the week one travels?
I've never found any pattern for the western trains, beyond the fact that more people seem to travel on the weekends, so those prices rise faster than the weekdays most of the time. On the Silver Service trains however, which run between NY and Miami, Monday's, Tuesday's, and Wednesday's have always been cheaper than the remainder of the week.

$124 diffence
Well again those prices and that difference in price is based upon the dates that you selected. Pick different dates, perhaps two months later and you might see a different price.

Just to give you a partial idea, the low price for a roomette on that train one way from Chicago to LA is $287 above the rail fare. The one way low price for a bedroom is $587, $300 more. However if we go look at the other side, the high prices are $695 and $1,326. And there are three intermediary price levels in between the highs and the lows. So if more roomettes have sold when you check prices, the difference between a roomette and a bedroom would go down. On the other hand if bedrooms are selling better, then the difference could be greater since the prices for bedrooms would be going up.

I've never found any pattern for the western trains, beyond the fact that more people seem to travel on the weekends, so those prices rise faster than the weekdays most of the time. On the Silver Service trains however, which run between NY and Miami, Monday's, Tuesday's, and Wednesday's have always been cheaper than the remainder of the week.

I did run a few different trips dates in March-April. Fares were same as January-February.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong... :unsure:

This Surgeon has a 3-6 month backlog on my type surgery. I'm counting on her being a bit flexible on my surgery date since I will be taking the train.

April

I did run a few different trips dates in March-April. Fares were same as January-February.

This Surgeon has a 3-6 month backlog on my type surgery. I'm counting on her being a bit flexible on my surgery date since I will be taking the train.

April
No, I wasn't suggesting that you were doing anything wrong. I just wanted to be sure that you were trying multiple dates before making the comparison. Many people don't do that, they only check the date that they want to travel for prices never realizing that if they could vary their departure by one day that they might save hundreds of dollars.

April
No, I wasn't suggesting that you were doing anything wrong. I just wanted to be sure that you were trying multiple dates before making the comparison. Many people don't do that, they only check the date that they want to travel for prices never realizing that if they could vary their departure by one day that they might save hundreds of dollars.
Oh no, I didn't take it that way.

All good. :)

April

Personally, I have really gotten to liking the lower level. My girlfriend and her two daughters recently rode the CZ from Glenwood Springs back to Lincoln, we were in the lower level handicapped area because that was where the conductor seated us. We had alot of privacy and no running upstairs or downstairs to go to the restroom etc. Also, when we have been on the lower level in the sleepers, you have more privacy and the shower and multiple toilets are so close to the rooms. Also if you have a roomette, the baggage is stored on the lower level (the baggage you haven't checked through) so it makes it easy to get to your suitcase. You will have no room in your roomette for any luggage other than a real small carryon bag such as a purse etc. In a bedroom there's more room, but still not a whole lot of room for luggage.

Is there an advantage on going with an upper or lower level roomette (or bedroom)? Especially on my return trip (being walking wounded and all).
April
Well there are advantages to either level and disadvantages to both levels. The upper level tends to have less track noise and a better view because you are up higher. It also makes things easier when you want to access the rest of the train. On the other hand, the upper level has more people walking by and is therefore noiser in that regard. The upper level also tends to sway more than the lower level.

Obviously the converse of each scenario above is true.

And then there are the reasons that Al mentioned which should also be considered.

Is there an advantage on going with an upper or lower level roomette (or bedroom)? Especially on my return trip (being walking wounded and all).

April
Well there are advantages to either level and disadvantages to both levels. The upper level tends to have less track noise and a better view because you are up higher. It also makes things easier when you want to access the rest of the train. On the other hand, the upper level has more people walking by and is therefore noiser in that regard. The upper level also tends to sway more than the lower level.

Obviously the converse of each scenario above is true.

And then there are the reasons that Al mentioned which should also be considered.
I'll keep this in mind when it is time to make my TRI trip.

Thanks again, all.

April

I was in a lower level room on the Capital Ltd. 8 days after open lung surgery, where they had to break a rib to get to the lung. Going up the stairs to the dining room wasn't too bad, but finding the dining room closed when they had announced it would be open, and then having to go back down stairs made another trip upstairs too hard. Mostly because, depending on the type of surgery, you're going to be weak.

You didn't say what your surgery was, but after open lung they have you in an upright position in the hospital. While the sleeper attendant gave me extra pillows, I still didn't sleep at all because of the pain. In the morning I dozed off a little after he put the chair up and I could be in an upright position again.

I was in a lower level room on the Capital Ltd. 8 days after open lung surgery, where they had to break a rib to get to the lung. Going up the stairs to the dining room wasn't too bad, but finding the dining room closed when they had announced it would be open, and then having to go back down stairs made another trip upstairs too hard. Mostly because, depending on the type of surgery, you're going to be weak.
You didn't say what your surgery was, but after open lung they have you in an upright position in the hospital. While the sleeper attendant gave me extra pillows, I still didn't sleep at all because of the pain. In the morning I dozed off a little after he put the chair up and I could be in an upright position again.

Looks like the lower level accommodation would be the way to go (even if I can't score a accessible bedroom). Since my friend and I will be on-board roughly twelve hours (and most of that at night) it should make for an easy trip.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I will sleep without difficulty. They'll give me a good supply of happy pills. ;)

April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back