Contingency Plan for SWC #4 Late Arrival In Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next month, we’ll be taking the No. 4 Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago, where we will transfer to the No. 30 Capitol Limited. In the event that No. 4 is running late enough so that it is obvious we will miss our connection with No. 30, what is Amtrak’s usual contingency plan? (I would image that, prior to arriving in Chicago, we, along with luggage, would be transferred to a bus and would cut across country to meet up with No. 30 further east.) We’ve never had a problem making this connection in the past, but now No. 4 late arrivals seem to SOP and we’d like to know what to expect.

Eric & Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
Partially depends on ultimate destination. I've been offered the LSL with a downgrade, all rooms were sold, but I'm going to NYP. Bus bridge has also happened.I ended up spending the night in the Swissotel, I wanted the bed and shower. With the shower available in the lounge now, and B/C available for the overnight, maybe I'd take the Lake if it happened again. But I'm booked going out CL and returning LSL next month to minimize the possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a slightly different itinerary, but rather than start a new thread thought I might as well post it here. During January, I plan on connecting Empire Builder to Capitol Limited to Silver Star en route from Whitefish to Tampa. All the connections are same-day transfers. Am I correct to assume that a missed connection in Chicago would likely result in an overnight in the parked sleeping cars in the station, while a missed connection in Washington would likely result in a Silver Meteor trip with a bus to Tampa?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Amtrak has traditionally paid for hotels if connections missed. You may want to check the current policy.

I never heard of Amtrak chartering buses for long missed connections such as Washington to Tampa. This is not to say that it couldn't happen.

Anyone who asks for itinerary suggestions I always strongly urge not to book same day connections between Amtrak long-distance trains, UNLESS alternatives are available. For example if you arrived in Los Angeles on a late Sunset you would have alternatives to San Diego all day long.

If you make a stopover along a long-distance route such as at Denver Amtrak usually increases the fare. However if you add an overnight stopover at an endpoint for each train such as in Chicago, you often find that the regular through fare let's say Denver to Washington is merely the DEN to CHI one added to the CHI - to WAS one--no penalty.

As far as the Empire Builder-Cap-star connections I think you would have been fine at least 90% of the time this summer anyway. And yes I think if you miss the star to Tampa, you would take the meteor to Orlando then thruway bus to tampa. January the weather could be factor of course. Traveling myself I would be cool with planning same day connections, if something changes i can deal with it then. If you have the family along and a change in plans would be harder for everyone, perhaps a overnight stay would be a good break from the journey anyway

Amtrak has traditionally paid for hotels if connections missed. You may want to check the current policy.

I never heard of Amtrak chartering buses for long missed connections such as Washington to Tampa. This is not to say that it couldn't happen.

Anyone who asks for itinerary suggestions I always strongly urge not to book same day connections between Amtrak long-distance trains, UNLESS alternatives are available. For example if you arrived in Los Angeles on a late Sunset you would have alternatives to San Diego all day long.

If you make a stopover along a long-distance route such as at Denver Amtrak usually increases the fare. However if you add an overnight stopover at an endpoint for each train such as in Chicago, you often find that the regular through fare let's say Denver to Washington is merely the DEN to CHI one added to the CHI - to WAS one--no penalty.
The bus from Orlando to Tampa is a regularly scheduled Thruway bus, so no additional bus would be required unless it was sold out. As to the recommendation for planning overnight stops, is there any benefit other than the risk of a downgrade? I am travelling in coach, so figured that a missed Chicago connection would just give me a free extra day of vacation. I am travelling on a Rail Pass so we are planning multiple stops, but I am moving to Chicago next year so decided on overnight stops out west instead since I haven't spent any time there before.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Back