Consists over the Years

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VentureForth

Engineer
Very open question. Would you rather be on an older trainset like the Super Chief single level trains with Pullmans, or perhaps the later Hi-Levels, or do you prefer the current modern equipment?

Any route. Any era. I'm just talking about equipment comfort and amenities, not necessarily service.

I've only been on Superliners, Viewliners, and Amfleets, so I don't know what to compare to. I rode Hi-Level once on an excursion on the Cotton Belt, and I've been on plenty of other excursions using Pullman coaches and can't really imagine being on them for long periods of time.

I'd love to know the difference from those who have been on both legacy and modern.

Very open question. Would you rather be on an older trainset like the Super Chief single level trains with Pullmans, or perhaps the later Hi-Levels, or do you prefer the current modern equipment?

Any route. Any era. I'm just talking about equipment comfort and amenities, not necessarily service.

I've only been on Superliners, Viewliners, and Amfleets, so I don't know what to compare to. I rode Hi-Level once on an excursion on the Cotton Belt, and I've been on plenty of other excursions using Pullman coaches and can't really imagine being on them for long periods of time.

I'd love to know the difference from those who have been on both legacy and modern.
Older equipment. Domes, for one thing. The mattresses in the sleepers were better, they were thicker and more like a real mattress. The beds were wider than those in Superliner roomette, too. The cars generally rode better, too. You can check it out for yourself on Via's Canadian, which is all classic Budd except for the Panorama cars.

Ummm, Pullman coaches? Do you mean manufactured by Pullman-Standard? The Pullman Company operated sleeping cars. BTW, coaches manufactured by Pullman-Standard include Superliner Is.

The "Pullman coaches" you are talking about sound like old heavyweight "walkover" coaches. If you were in a streamlined 44 seat long-haul chair car with Sleepy Hollow seats, I can't see considering an Amfleet or a Superliner beating that. Sleepy Hollow seats were more comfortable (more padding for one thing) than the modern Amtrak seats, plus the railroads had figured out how to make the seats actually line up with the windows.

Also, the bathrooms in streamlined chair cars were huge. A large dressing area with sinks and mirrors, with a small toilet enclosure. Much nicer than the airline style bathrooms today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to go with a Mix: Viewliner Sleeper,Superliner Transdorm, Superliner Coach, Santa Fe Diner(Turquoise Room anyone?), Dome Lounge and Platform Business Car with a VIA/Super Chief Crew pulled by a Streamliner Steamer! Best of All Worlds IMO!! :D (Of course the Heritage Cars would have to be made Amtrak Compliant and there is a Problem with mixing Single Level and High Level Cars but all PVs have to do this and I'm Just Dreaming Here! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
The consists operated by the private railroads were often more designed for the region the railroads operated in such as domes on the more scenic routes. Also the equipment was more diverse and we had a choice of railroads and types of equipment. Amtrak is very ordinary and standard, but they have to be with today's budgets. The reason I liked the Burlington Zephyrs the best is because every train was unique. Santa Fe was a lot like that too. What I didn't like was when Railroads started not maintain their passenger equipment and keep it clean. Some did a terrific job right up to Amtrak while others were just the opposite. In some ways Amtrak has started to become like certain Railroads in their last years.

I wish I had some real experience with the older long-haul coaches (i.e. with the Sleepy Hollow seats and the like).

The SSL, while comfy, just does not compare to sitting in a dome.

While we are at it, I'll take a B&O diner with its B&O china, service and menu. And give me a room with old style bedding, in-room sink and toilet. :eek:

That said, the shower was not something one often found pre-Superliner, and I sure like/need a shower after 24 hrs aboard. :blush:

You could do a good sponge bath in sinks on the private rooms. I also remember seeing guys do almost a full bath in large restrooms on the Pullman cars with sections when I was a kid. Those were busy places in the morning to about an hour or so before the train pulled into a major station. The Pullman Company attendants were good at cleaning the sink after each use. I think there were about 4 sinks. Most of the people dressed in their suits or dresses before going to the dining Car for a good breakfast before disembarking for a day of business before catching another train in the evening.

The SSL, while comfy, just does not compare to sitting in a dome.
I'd have to disagree with you on that. The difference between a full dome car like the Milwaukee Road's Super Dome or the Great Northern's Great Dome and the Sightseer Lounge isn't that great, unless you're at one of the ends of the car. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the range of viewing allowed by the glass exposure in the SSL isn't greater than that in the older cars.

The bubble dome cars like the ones the Canadian uses are neat. No denying that. But they don't give many seats for passengers, and I can say from experience that you have to get up pretty early to get front row seats. Plus, the curved glass distorts the viewing significantly when you're looking sideways at say 50-60 degrees from the horizon.

All in all, I think we're lucky Amtrak went with Sightseer Lounges. I think of that every time I'm on a single-deck train that doesn't have them.

But I have no doubt after even one trip in the Canadian to say that Via-Rail's mattresses are an order of magnitude better than Amtrak's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back