Consist of 391? (Saluki)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pianocat

Lead Service Attendant
Though I've ridden this train several times, I've never booked BC before. Is BC car tagged on at end of the coaches?

If it is like the Illinois Zephyr and Carl Sandburg, it is placed randomly right behind the engine or on the end. Recently, it seems like it is right behind the engine more often than not.

I'm wondering if one can upgrade via the phone app as they are boarding if they discover that it isn't right behind the engine. As much as I like the Midwest corridor BC accommodation, being right behind the constant horn blowing makes it not worthwhile, in my opinion.

I've ridden the BC car on Illini/Saluki several time both ends of the train and I did not notice the engine noise or horn in either situation. For these trains they usually carry extra baggage cars at either end to comply with CN's minimum number of axles rule.

These trains don't have pointing so it can show up anywhere. I suppose it has to do with the ability/inability to turn the train versus just adding an engine at the other end, but that is just a guess.

No problem turning the train, there is a "wye" in Carbondale just to turn the Illinois trains. After unloading in Carbondale the train backs about 2+ miles to the wye and can park there or return to the station and park on a "middle track" until ready to board going back to Chicago - same engine and equipment. Just last month I drove to Carbondale to ride these trains and the early morning train was already parked on the middle track but backed up and pull back to the boarding position on the boarding track. Any change in consist is made in Chicago but i rarely noitice any change except for the engine while watching the MH Tower rail cam on Rail Stream paid website. Based on this and my experience riding the Illini/Saluki trains I believe there are only two sets of equipment which both make the roundtrip run each day. There is a morning and a late afternoon departure from both Carbondale and Chicago every day.

Actually riding in business class is not necessary especially south of Champaign to and from Carbondale. My experience riding just for the fun of it from Carbondale to Matoon and back is that coaches are lightly occupied and my choice of seats was abundant. Single riders almost all had two seats to themselves. Since I've not ridden in coach between Chicago and Champaign, I don't know how full the coaches are. I do know that one time when I departed Chicago at 4:05 PM they overbooked business class and several had to sit at the tables on the other side of the cafe stand until passengers got off at intermediate stops as we traveled south.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ridden the BC car on Illini/Saluki several time both ends of the train and I did not notice the engine noise or horn in either situation. For these trains they usually carry extra baggage cars at either end to comply with CN's minimum number of axles rule.
I was about to question you hearing until I read the second sentence :p . The IZ and CS aren't so lucky as to have deadheads up front.

I also agree business class on these trains is not "necessary". It's a small luxury for a relatively small price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back