Considering first trip on train- with two youngsters

• Thread starter Guest_jennifer_*
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_jennifer_*

Hi everyone,

My son (who will be 5 in July) has been begging to go on a train ride for quite some time.

I will also have my one and a half year old with us. (dad won't be with us, so it would just be mom with both kids)

I thought it would be a fun birthday surprise for him to book a trip from our home in Dallas to see his grandparents in Phoenix.

We have never been on an Amtrak before- so just trying to make informed decisions.

there are two routes from DFW to Tucson. one has a stop in San Antonio which I am thinking is a no for us since it arrives at 11pm and departs the next day at 540 am.

the second route takes longer, but doesn't seem to make you switch trains or be at a station overnight.

Am I correct on this?

Also, I am thinking coach would be miserable for my sons and the other passengers :p - so we were considering a roomette (family suite is booked).

Is that a wise choice? Will that work with two kids?

finally- is it worth it? Because it will cost me more to ride the train than it would to fly.... and are their any discounts or savings I am missing? Seems like it is over $900 for a round trip with roomette..... :blink:

thanks for any help you can give me!

Also, I am thinking coach would be miserable for my sons and the other passengers :p - so we were considering a roomette (family suite is booked).

finally- is it worth it? Because it will cost me more to ride the train than it would to fly.... and are their any discounts or savings I am missing? Seems like it is over $900 for a round trip with roomette..... :blink:

As a parent, I can say that in the roomette, you can pull the top bunk down during the day, and the kids could use it as a play area or "tree fort" while you can still sit in the chairs. Plus, at night, put the kids to sleep up there, while you can still sit in semi-darkness below (the room light has a "night light" setting).

When looking at tickets, kids ride for 1/2 fare on Amtrak, where on planes, I think they all charge kids full adult price.

Hi everyone,
My son (who will be 5 in July) has been begging to go on a train ride for quite some time.

I will also have my one and a half year old with us. (dad won't be with us, so it would just be mom with both kids)

I thought it would be a fun birthday surprise for him to book a trip from our home in Dallas to see his grandparents in Phoenix.

We have never been on an Amtrak before- so just trying to make informed decisions.

there are two routes from DFW to Tucson. one has a stop in San Antonio which I am thinking is a no for us since it arrives at 11pm and departs the next day at 540 am.

the second route takes longer, but doesn't seem to make you switch trains or be at a station overnight.

Am I correct on this?

If you get a roomette on the Texas Eagle to Tucson, Amtrak will disconnect your coach from the Eagle and reconnect itto the Sunset Limited. You will not need to leave the comfort of your bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
There actually just 1 train between Dallas and Phoenix (actually Maricopa) - the Texas Eagle. In San Antonio, 1 coach and 1 sleeper gets connected to the Sunset Limited - and both "trains" (which is the same train) continues on to Maricopa (and eventually LA).

If you book on train #421 all the way from Dallas to Maricopa, you can stay on the train during the switch (in San Antonio - SAS), sleeping if you like! (You may not even know you stopped overnight in SAS! ;) ) However, if you book train #421 from Dallas to San Antonio, and then train #1 from San Antonio to Maricopa, you will have to get off in SAS and wait for the Sunset Limited to arrive and for the boarding of it! Don't forget this will be waiting in the station or area overnight!

I don't know if that fare include this, but in case not, the fare for you would be full fare (or one of the discounts like AAA, NARP or senior if you qualify), your older son will be 1/2 fare and your younger son will be free! And the cost of the roomette is per room, not per person - it is added to the total rail fare.

The roomette has 2 berths - an upper berth and a lower berth. That means 2 of you will be sharing one bed! And with 3 people in the roomette, you will have to call to reserve.

If you are thinking seriously of doing this, I would recommend that you reserve ASAP! Since Amtrak sells tickets by the bucket system (that is once xx # are sold, the fare rises to the next bucket), the fare can only go UP! You may find that the $900 far may have risen to $1,000 or more by the time you decide! :eek:

But the good news is that with Amtrak's very loose cancelation policy, as long as the tickets have not been printed, there is NO PENALTY! (You must cancel sleeping room reservations 7 days in advance.) If the tickets were printed, you can get either a voucher (for future travel) for 100% of the fare or a refund for 90% of the fare.

Hi everyone,
Do it! He won't forget the experience.

I was about that age when my parents took an overnight trip to Atlanta.

I ate in the dining car, then slept thru much of the rest, but when I woke

up as we rolled into Atlanta, they told me I said "this is the ONLY way to travel!".

Thank you everyone for the replies!--

I didn't understand that you could stay on the train in SA, that makes it much easier (as long as I book on the right one!)

One other quick question as I can't seem to find it on the amtrak site...

I know roomettes have just a curtain enclosure, what about the bedrooms? is there a door for those instead of the curtains??

And the door has a lock. So that you can fall asleep feeling secure.

Both roomettes and bedrooms have both a door and a curtain.
Ok, I am feeling dumb now :lol: I just saw the curtain on the interactive views
No worries. :) I'm a firm believer that no question is too dumb when one does not know the answer. The only dumb thing is to not ask the question.

Besides, that's what this forum is for, to ask questions.

Be careful, Jennifer. Your son might start refusing to fly.

But the usual warnings apply here. For example, Amtrak trains run late. The Texas Eagle can be a horribly late train. This shouldn't be a problem if you are aware of it. It shouldn't effect you too too much since you are more related to the Sunset's OTP into Tuscan, most or all of the TE's lateness will be made up overnight at SAS. Most of us here have come to live with the lateness- for me, its part of the wonderful nature of train riding. I'm late, but I don't care, because I know Amtrak will take care of me and I will get there.

Another one is that sometimes you encounter some mediocre service. But keep in mind that, unlike on airlines, there is always a direct human connection between passenger and OBS. Or atleast, that has been my experience. No plastic smiles on Amtrak. Also, let me assure you if you run into one of the members of the small, but sadly extent, Amtrakoberfuhrer OBS, politeness and friendliness will usually allow you to get a smile and decent service out of them.

Next, Roomettes are quieter than coach, but by no means sound proof. So do make sure your children are well behaved, as I'm sure you do in public. Its not like a sound proofed hotel room. ;) I have in the past on rare occasion been kept awake by screaming children.

I'm not trying to discourage you from traveling Amtrak at all! As far as I'm concerned, there is no other viable method for long distance travel, and I will preach until I'm blue in the face to that effect. But I have met people who plan to ride Amtrak and apparently think its the 20th Century Limited or the Orient Express, and that Amtrak is the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits. It isn't. But it IS the most comfortable, most luxurious, and most sane form of transportation within the realm of affordability of the average person available today- at least in my opinion.

But you will best enjoy your trip if you go into understanding what Amtrak is, problems, wonderments, and all.

But the usual warnings apply here. For example, Amtrak trains run late. The Texas Eagle can be a horribly late train. This shouldn't be a problem if you are aware of it. It shouldn't effect you too too much since you are more related to the Sunset's OTP into Tuscan, most or all of the TE's lateness will be made up overnight at SAS. Most of us here have come to live with the lateness- for me, its part of the wonderful nature of train riding. I'm late, but I don't care, because I know Amtrak will take care of me and I will get there.
Then again, planes can be late too, and automobiles can get struck in traffic or break.

Next, Roomettes are quieter than coach, but by no means sound proof. So do make sure your children are well behaved, as I'm sure you do in public. Its not like a sound proofed hotel room. ;) I have in the past on rare occasion been kept awake by screaming children.
I'm not sure I've ever been in a perfectly soundproofed hotel room.

I'm not trying to discourage you from traveling Amtrak at all! As far as I'm concerned, there is no other viable method for long distance travel, and I will preach until I'm blue in the face to that effect.
I'm confused. Aren't you also pretty fond of traveling on cargo ships?

But it IS the most comfortable, most luxurious, and most sane form of transportation within the realm of affordability of the average person available today- at least in my opinion.
The conversation I had with the coach class passengers sitting across from me at breakfast on the Lake Shore Limited last month left me with the impression that affordability was precisely the reason they weren't in a sleeper.

If you are thinking seriously of doing this, I would recommend that you reserve ASAP! Since Amtrak sells tickets by the bucket system (that is once xx # are sold, the fare rises to the next bucket), the fare can only go UP! You may find that the $900 far may have risen to $1,000 or more by the time you decide! :eek:
If someone who had reserved a lower bucket room cancels their reservation, that low bucket room will become available at the lower price again.

But that doesn't change the general idea that if you're reasonably certain you want to take a trip, it's probably best to book it ASAP.

The roomette has 2 berths - an upper berth and a lower berth. That means 2 of you will be sharing one bed! And with 3 people in the roomette, you will have to call to reserve.
Actually, FWIW, with one of the passengers being under two years old, online booking will let you book a roomette.

Then again, planes can be late too, and automobiles can get struck in traffic or break.
Of course they can. But Amtrak is more reliably late. Which is a plus in my mind (somewhat more predictable). Also, I was also trying to point out the concept of low-stress lateness.

I'm not sure I've ever been in a perfectly soundproofed hotel room.
Nor I. Its a matter of degree.

I'm not trying to discourage you from traveling Amtrak at all! As far as I'm concerned, there is no other viable method for long distance travel, and I will preach until I'm blue in the face to that effect.
I'm confused. Aren't you also pretty fond of traveling on cargo ships?
Not so much. Book me on the next train to Europe, Joel, would ya? :rolleyes:

But it IS the most comfortable, most luxurious, and most sane form of transportation within the realm of affordability of the average person available today- at least in my opinion.
The conversation I had with the coach class passengers sitting across from me at breakfast on the Lake Shore Limited last month left me with the impression that affordability was precisely the reason they weren't in a sleeper.
Affordability is a relative term. For the average middle class traveller, Amtrak is affordable. A lot more so than, say, AOE.

Affordability is a relative term. For the average middle class traveler, Amtrak is affordable. A lot more so than, say, AOE.
Or a trip across Canada on the Canadian. Something I would like to do with the USA Rail pass, If I named the right one.

Aloha

Affordability is a relative term. For the average middle class traveller, Amtrak is affordable. A lot more so than, say, AOE.
For me, if I'm traveling alone, affordability dictates me to chose coach. Only if there's two might I chose a sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back