CONO getting chef back?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. Just came into CHI today on CONO #58. I spoke to the dining car staff about the new NOLA based chef position. I was told that was for the Crescent not the CONO. They claimed that unfortunately there are no plans to bring back the chef on the CONO. Having said that though, I am happy to report that the "microwave dinner" selections have vastly improved since last fall. My only big complaint is that they have cut out the dinner side salad.

The problem is, free travel in the sleepers isn't necessarily a guarantee. It would basically be an expensive gamble for me. I could do business class without a problem, but...a 22 hour commute in a chair, and then I have to work? Eeeeeh...
But wouldn't you have to find a place to stay in Chicago if there were a tight/missed connection? Since it's your "home" terminal Amtrak wouldn't be providing accommodations I'd think.

Lots of the LD OBS Crews that work out of Chicago have told me they don't actually live in Chicago, but commute from Cities like Milwaukee,Galesburg,St.Louis,South Bend,Toledo and even Cleveland!

I had an SCA on the Crescent that lived in Pittsburgh and commuted to NYP for work!
On one of my Empire Builder trips, my SCA lived in Florida. He told me that because he'd been working for Amtrak for nearly 40 years, he got his choice of routes to work.

The problem is, free travel in the sleepers isn't necessarily a guarantee. It would basically be an expensive gamble for me. I could do business class without a problem, but...a 22 hour commute in a chair, and then I have to work? Eeeeeh...
But wouldn't you have to find a place to stay in Chicago if there were a tight/missed connection? Since it's your "home" terminal Amtrak wouldn't be providing accommodations I'd think.
Yes I would. I already do that in Boston if I have an early report anyway. After a trip if I can't make it home I just sleep at the station in an employee lounge.

I expect Amtrak is looking for Line Cooks who would follow a set procedure established by a Chef in an Amtrak kitchen. This way Amtrak does not vary from the published list of allergens for each entrée. Also, cross contamination in the prep area would be an issue if preparation is not following exact procedures. Again, no need for a Chef.

On the CS I travelled on the PPC attendant worked out of LA but lived in Salt Lake City and flew to LA and back for her shifts I was amazed at that commute
Such commutes are very common in the airline industry. I have met dozens of United Airlines cabin staff who live in my county on the Florida Space Coast and are actually homed in the Newark NJ Crew Base. They regularly commute out and back to/from their base before going on duty and after completing duty cycles. Sometimes they can do so as an active crew on a flight and sometimes as deadhead.

On the CS I travelled on the PPC attendant worked out of LA but lived in Salt Lake City and flew to LA and back for her shifts I was amazed at that commute
Such commutes are very common in the airline industry. I have met dozens of United Airlines cabin staff who live in my county on the Florida Space Coast and are actually homed in the Newark NJ Crew Base. They regularly commute out and back to/from their base before going on duty and after completing duty cycles. Sometimes they can do so as an active crew on a flight and sometimes as deadhead.
On my flight to Denver the other day I was talking to a deadheading pilot who of a flight attendant who would deadhead from the Philippines to the States to work

Back