Connection from Acela to LD train allowed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy559

Service Attendant
I'm working on my trip this spring, and I seem to have issues trying to book from the CL to Acela, and vise versa.

I have heard that connections from the NEC are not guaranteed but how would that work?

I have a 2 hr 15 min connection, with another train as a back up, but still will not take the connection.

Hello,

You might have to book the segments separately as the website might not be picking up the Acela connections out of WAS as there are Regionals that are better timed. If you do book them separately the connections are not guaranteed, but there are a number of trains after the "allowed" connection. You may have to pay the difference in fare though. You can also call of course and see if the agent will be able to book the connection in WAS with the one that you are desiring.

BOS-T-Time

A connection from/to a LD train and a Acela is never a guaranteed connection! They must be booked separately.

Also be aware that a connection between a LD train and a regional has a deeply discounted fare on the regional portion - like maybe 50% or more off on the NEC segment. However if you connect to/from an Acela, the NEC portion is not discounted, and the Acela fares are normally much higher to begin with!

A connection from/to a LD train and a Acela is never a guaranteed connection! They must be booked separately.

Also be aware that a connection between a LD train and a regional has a deeply discounted fare on the regional portion - like maybe 50% or more off on the NEC segment. However if you connect to/from an Acela, the NEC portion is not discounted, and the Acela fares are normally much higher to begin with!
That was true, but has been changed. Connections can be booked between long distance trains and Acela, and the connections are now guaranteed. Full Acela fare is paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad! :(

But the 2nd part is still true. And since there are no discounts allowed on Acela (like AAA or NARP) except on the weekend, if you book on line both together online, you may not get the discount applied to the LD train portion either! :(

That was true, but has been changed. Connections can be booked between long distance trains and Acela, and the connections are now guaranteed. Full Acela fare is paid.
Thanks, I had worked and worked to get it into the multi route planner on Amtrak.com and it all went in, looked great, but it wouldn't let me book it. It kept giving me a red error code.

Guess I will just have to get all the segments together and then call to book.

Last January, I booked (on the phone with an agent) a trip on the Silver Meteor to NYP and then an Acela to BOS. I had about a 2 hour layover. Both trains were on the same reservation. Unfortunately, the Silver Meteor was several hours late. When I realized I could not make the connection, I phoned Amtrak and was able to get a seat on the next Acela at no extra charge - and even was upgraded to FC with my coupon. (Although I was unable to ride with my 3 friends to Boston, they were very kind and met my train, so I would not have to eat dinner alone. Thanks gain Alan, Dick and Grace) :)

On the way home, I did the reserve. Acela to NYP and a Silver to Florida. I had no connection problems on the way home.

Sometimes the connections between the Silvers and the NEC don't make sense. If I'm in a Sleeper starting in Miami, why would I want to switch to a Regional in DC when I can keep my room all the way to NYP?

Sometimes talking to a real person can save the day...

Sometimes the connections between the Silvers and the NEC don't make sense. If I'm in a Sleeper starting in Miami, why would I want to switch to a Regional in DC when I can keep my room all the way to NYP?

Sometimes talking to a real person can save the day...
Tell that to ARROW. ARROW comes up with the ticketed connections. But I'm sure Amtrak can fix that. But not sure. But I do agree that I would love to keep my room to NYP instead of getting off and Connecting at WAS. Unless I would be changing to an AE to BOS, and going FC. Then I'd go from WAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back