Connecting from the Southwest Chief to the Santa Fe Southern at Lamy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafi

Conductor
Baltimore, MD (primary); Culpeper, VA; Washington,
Has anyone ever made a connection from the Chief to one of the Santa Fe Southern excursion runs at Lamy? On my trip this past week I noticed the interchange track leading from Lamy to Santa Fe (so overgrown with weeds I thought it was abandoned until I did some research), and I've since learned that the SFS actually runs excursion trains between the two cities on occasion. They market it as a round trip (Santa Fe to Lamy and back), but I'd be curious if it's possible to take the Chief to Lamy, lay over, and take an excursion up to Santa Fe. From there I'd consider transferring to the RailRunner for a trip south and probably stay over in Albuquerque overnight.

Anyone ever done this? Just brainstorming for now.

Rafi

Has anyone ever made a connection from the Chief to one of the Santa Fe Southern excursion runs at Lamy? On my trip this past week I noticed the interchange track leading from Lamy to Santa Fe (so overgrown with weeds I thought it was abandoned until I did some research), and I've since learned that the SFS actually runs excursion trains between the two cities on occasion. They market it as a round trip (Santa Fe to Lamy and back), but I'd be curious if it's possible to take the Chief to Lamy, lay over, and take an excursion up to Santa Fe. From there I'd consider transferring to the RailRunner for a trip south and probably stay over in Albuquerque overnight.
Anyone ever done this? Just brainstorming for now.

Rafi
There is an article about the Santa Fe Southern in the current Trains Magazine....... focus is on how the poor economy has taken a huge bite out of their freight loadings, etc.

Essentially, the Santa Fe Southern operates excursions only on Fri-Sat-Sun now...... one issue being that the northern end of their line....and station area in Santa Fe.... is shared with the New Mexico Railrunner Commuter trains.

I think you would find it challenging to make them work as a transportation option...... but the article did mention that they have attempted to market a 'Triangle Excursion' where passengers rode the Santa Fe Southern to Lamy, Amtrak to Albuquerque, and then back to Santa Fe on the Railrunner.

FWIW - I have ridden the SFS excursion and was torn between spending my time standing in the open gondola (my favorite place on the Cumbres & Toltec) or sitting in the dome car. I would recommend their ride but also hope to sample the new commuter rail service the next time I am in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at their website, schedule wise it looks like that might work. It says it is an hour trip from Lamy to Santa Fe and their Saturday trips return at 4:00. That should work for an on time SWC.

I would call them. Bet others have asked before and they can either give you a yes or no. They do not list one way fares that I can see, though.

Use the Nmrailrunner from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, it may be a detour, but it's certainly cheaper than Santa Fe Southern and runs more often.

See: www.nmrailrunner.com

Also the Railrunner stops several places in Santa Fe, while the SFS stops at only one place near the edge of the downtown. The thruway private service that contracts with Amtrak to provide connections into Santa Fe from the SWC takes pax directly to/from their lodgings/residences. Also have to pay for that extra to a SWC ticket, no AGR points accepted. Based on the schedules and the prices, I think the Railrunner is a much better deal into and out of Santa Fe unless you are simply determined to see the SFS right-of-way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back