Congressional bickering clouds Amtrak's future

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
News story

Congressional bickering clouds Amtrak's future WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Critics of Amtrak who say U.S. taxpayers and railroad passengers both would benefit if the company faced a little competition should have had reason to smile this month when President Bush won re-election and Republicans tightened their grip on Congress, according to this Gannett News Service report by Ledyard King.

The president and some key lawmakers want to eliminate money-losing lines and end Amtrak's monopoly on longer-distance passenger rail service by allowing private companies to run some of the trains. But friends and foes alike realize that Congress has never moved quickly on Amtrak reform and probably won't now.

BNSF_1088 said:
News story
Congressional bickering clouds Amtrak's future WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Critics of Amtrak who say U.S. taxpayers and railroad passengers both would benefit if the company faced a little competition should have had reason to smile this month when President Bush won re-election and Republicans tightened their grip on Congress, according to this Gannett News Service report by Ledyard King.

The president and some key lawmakers want to eliminate money-losing lines and end Amtrak's monopoly on longer-distance passenger rail service by allowing private companies to run some of the trains. But friends and foes alike realize that Congress has never moved quickly on Amtrak reform and probably won't now.

There just so full of BS it's not even funny these IDIOTS can vote themselfs pay raises when ever the hell they want.I wish they would tell the truth about Amtrak and why it was created. :angry:

Think you can do better? Run for Congress! Otherwise, your attacks on their characters are uncalledfor

efin98 said:
Think you can do better? Run for Congress! Otherwise, your attacks on their characters are uncalledfor
You just don't get do you Congress has never told the truth WHY AMTRAK WAS CREATED BY THE GOVERNMENT AND WHY IT IS RUN BY THE GOVERNMENT.And mabey if the people of the USA knew the truth about this issue more would be done to save Amtrak.But no congress just won't tell the truth.

How could ANYBODY who was awake for at least five minutes of the just-concluded election campigns complain to anybody HERE who posts a mildly negative comment about any politician? There was so much PURE B.S. and gold-plated character assassination from ALL the parties and candidates in all those morally bankrupt political ads that NOTHING any of US could possibly say would even EQUAL it, much less top it!!!!

How could ANYBODY who was awake for at least five minutes of the just-concluded election campigns complain to anybody HERE who posts a mildly negative comment about any politician? There was so much PURE B.S. and gold-plated character assassination from ALL the parties and candidates in all those morally bankrupt political ads that NOTHING any of US could possibly say would even EQUAL it, much less top it!!!!
Maybe you could tell us what you really think!! :rolleyes:

(just kidding - I agree completely with what you said!)

I agree, ever since Amtrak started operating, not one Congress, Democratic or Republican alike showed any interest in Amtrak. Some were better than others but had they, Amtrak would have been in tip top shape. As far as the privatizing(excuse spelling), the freight companies had their chance prior to 1971. In fact , I believe, Southern & Norfolk Southern operated the Crescent until 1979, well after Amtrak started operations. Why did they stop operating it? Also consider why city "governments" operate the transit systems today when they use to be private bus companies. Reason is the system did not work with private companies. This country need a balanced transportation system(and the funding that goes with it), People need to contact other friends and have those friends contact others and so forth and let Congress know that America deserves a balanced transportation system and give Amtrak the funding it needs to be a world class railroad

MDRailfan said:
I agree, ever since Amtrak started operating, not one Congress, Democratic or Republican alike showed any interest in Amtrak. Some were better than others but had they, Amtrak would have been in tip top shape. As far as the privatizing(excuse spelling), the freight companies had their chance prior to 1971. In fact , I believe, Southern & Norfolk Southern operated the Crescent until 1979, well after Amtrak started operations. Why did they stop operating it? Also consider why city "governments" operate the transit systems today when they use to be private bus companies. Reason is the system did not work with private companies. This country need a balanced transportation system(and the funding that goes with it), People need to contact other friends and have those friends contact others and so forth and let Congress know that America deserves a balanced transportation system and give Amtrak the funding it needs to be a world class railroad
Amen. Remember 9/11. No planes in the sky?. Next fastest was trains. SInce Congress always treated Amtrak as patch work, that's the kind of service Amtrak was able to provide. Over crowded trains, over crowded platforms. Little equipment and resources to deal with the rush. You would think that 9/11 would make Congress think.

Congress has been granting airlines all this money to prevent them from going into bankruptcy. Yet, most are on the edge of just doing that.

What's worst....funding 20 failing airlines?. Or build up a promising, dependable rail system?

France, Germany, Austrialia and other country are puring millions into rail systems knowing that it will be years before they might get a return, but the service is there as is being used by the public. Did you that 80 % of the trips traveled under 500 miles are made on rails over there?? And here in the US Congress it's......what's Amtrak gonna do for me if I give them more money?

Just my opinion....

IGO

Back