'Congress should derail Bush's Amtrak funding cut'

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Congress should derail Bush's Amtrak funding cut'

(The following editorial, "Congress should derail Bush's Amtrak

funding cut," appeared in the Detroit Free-Press May 9, 2005.)

President George W. Bush and his congressional allies are trying to

pull the plug on Amtrak by taking away all federal support.

That's bad news for the nation and for Michigan, where all three

Amtrak lines, running to Chicago from Grand Rapids, Pontiac and Port

Huron, have recorded double-digit ridership increases this year.

Amtrak carries more than 600,000 passengers a year in Michigan and

employs 133 state residents.

News story

I have written my Congress people, and also Mr. Bush about my feelings on Amtrak. I also think we need to save Amtrak. It may not be perfect, but the times I have ridden it, I have enjoyed it, and saved the aggravation of driving. The airlines are in financial trouble, and the highways are crowded, and crumbling. When one considers what this country pumps into highways and the airlines, Amtrak is a bargain.

I live in California, and the ridership on trains in California is up this past year. Maybe fellow CA's are tired of the high price of fuel, and the crowded highways.

:)

When one considers what this cou said:
The airlines are in financial trouble, and the highways are crowded, and crumbling. When one considers what this country pumps into highways and the airlines, Amtrak is a bargain.
You're right, and let's also plug in what this country gets out of Amtrak for every dollar we spend. Historic business districts that are near train stations receive economic growth without added gridlock. Beautiful countryside is seen and enjoyed without being trampled on or smoked-out with auto emission. And 20,000 hard-working, tax-paying Americans get paid to provide this service to the direct benefit of 40 million passengers - commuter AND long-distance - and to the indirect benefit of countless others!

Back