Cong. John Mica lost House, considered for transportation secretary

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be that he is a Pathological Liar who is dangerous because he doesn't know anything as he proved during the Campaign, and is surrounded by a Palace Guard of Despicable people like Bannon,Flynn, Newt and Rudy?

And did he really "Win" the Election when he lost by over 2,000,000 Votes?

Do the Math!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please take any further general election discussion to Random Discussions. Let's keep this one centered on the Secretary of Transportation and Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sec of Transportation will hopefully be someone with executive experience that also has served in a government role. That's not a long list for sure.

The sad part is that very few projects can get going quickly.

I'm curious, are there any actual plans/preliminary work done on replacing the long haul bi-level fleet that could be presented to a new Sec of DOT? (I realize that may not be a Sec of DOT decision..was just a question).

Also, are all viewliner car types (I'm assuming a coach car design at least?) is sitting out there waiting for funding/review up the chain?

There are no Viewliner car types other than those that have been ordered. Any further orders will go through an RFP and design phase just like this bunch did.
Though I would imagine somewhere early in the chain someone has ginned up plans and maybe even models for Viewliner Coaches and Lounges.

Lots of people have ginned up plans for Viewliner Lounges, Coaches, slumber coaches, and for all I know swimming pool cars. Unless you are looking to change the window layout, it's not rocket science. A coach is a Viewliner with all window slots occupied, wall panels, an additional ADA restroom, and the Amtrak seat track.

A lounge is a diner with several extra booths and a counter replacing the kitchen. The whole point of the bloody Viewliner design is that it can accommodate any layout and, in theory, you can convert them.

I have serious doubts that John Mica will become transportation secretary. Mica is anti- passenger rail. His positions are diametrically opposed to that of the president elect who campaigned as a populist highly critical of our decaying transportation infrastructure. With his promise to rebuild and improve the entire transportation system; the president elect must be held accountable to that promise.

Chao isn't a terrible choice. She was Chair of the Maritime Commission, was Dep Sec of Transportation for 2 years and she was also Secretary of Labor for 8 years, so she knows her way around the Hill.

Unfortunately, she is also the wife of Mitch McConnell and she has been named by some crook as having asked for donations ($2,000?) for her husbands campaign. Not sure the validity of that claim but it does leave a bit of a stench behind. Given the level of corruption in DC, this isn't that terrible.

I think this is a neutral pick for Amtrak. Maybe a mild positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back