Conceptual Route Map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my 2006 version. I'll readily admit it is a bit dated by this point with the midwest service added since, among others.
http://www.monumentalcity.net/amschematic.pdf

It has a few geography and spelling errors as well. I think I have a slightly more refined version on the machine at work.

This is the map I was referring to earlier. I like the functional "schematic" aspects of this type of presentation.

Happy holidays everyone!

I'd make the cities that originate several trains (Chicago, New Orleans, Miami, Seattle, Los Angeles, Emeryville, Sacrmento, etc) larger or a different colour, since they are the real "hubs" of the system.

I also think that certain cities are irrelevant- like having both Dallas and Fort Worth on it, Baltimore doesn't belong, I'd use SLO instead of Santa Barbara, since this is where the train actually originates. I'd move Oklahoma City closer to Kansas City to show where it will stand in relation to the likely extension of the Heartland Flyer into Texas Chief. Also, the connection point in North Carolina is Greensboro, not Winston-Salem which isn't even served by a train. And connect Portland to Spokane.

I'd use SLO instead of Santa Barbara, since this is where the train actually originates.
Only two trains a day originate in SLO the remainder of the Surfliners originate in SBA (5). Otherwise Auburn, California, would have to be included since a Capitol Corridor train originates there.

amtrak1-3.jpg

I also think that certain cities are irrelevant- like having both Dallas and Fort Worth on it, Baltimore doesn't belong, I'd use SLO instead of Santa Barbara, since this is where the train actually originates. I'd move Oklahoma City closer to Kansas City to show where it will stand in relation to the likely extension of the Heartland Flyer into Texas Chief. Also, the connection point in North Carolina is Greensboro, not Winston-Salem which isn't even served by a train. And connect Portland to Spokane.
Picking the right cities to add is a challenge...a combination of city size, Amtrak hubs/terminals, balanced geographic representation, and in the case of places like Boston or SF bay area, picking one station to represent two or three.

Thanks for pointing out Greensboro. I moved OKC too. Also thanks for noticing that the Spokane-Portland route got deleted in the revisions!

While the QUALITY and CRAFTSMANSHIP is superb, it soooo reminds me of BART, which, is "OK" for a regional transit system.........
But I much prefer a more realistic vs. stylized map version. It may be a generational thing, or just a personal preference, not sure. But gimmie a map that "looks like a map" any day.............
I think both type of maps serve a purpose. A realistic or metric map helps you figure out distances and specific locations. A stylized connectivity map or topological map gives you a quick reference to find connections from "here" to "there".

I'm highly fascinated by the rare detailed metric maps of systems like the NYC subway or BART. I like to see where the tracks really go.

Maybe I'll get bored one day and elect to tidy it up and update it, but its interesting nonetheless. I've also seen a schematic-ish map on a Wikipedia link, but I seem to recall it straying from the strict rules of verticals, horizontals, and 45 degree angles.
It's interesting that we both came to the same design solution of representing the NEC as more or less a straight line that extends all the way to New Orleans. In my earlier sketches, I had the NEC extend in a straight line to Miami.

In another version I made a great semi-circle through Vancouver--SAC--BFD then LAX--San Antonio--NOL--JAX--DC--NYC--Albany--Montreal. The original vision was Chicago as the hub of a big half-wheel and spokes emanating out of Chicago.

Sorry I missed the TE route, I guess the straight line and nothing being labeled between St. Louis and Dallas/Ft. Worth threw me off. I went back and looked again and noticed that it was there.

Sorry I missed the TE route, I guess the straight line and nothing being labeled between St. Louis and Dallas/Ft. Worth threw me off. I went back and looked again and noticed that it was there.
That's ok, Texas is highly confusing to me :) I've never had the pleasure of riding the TE. I am a west coast/east coast person, and don't spend much time in between except on Amtrak!

Now it looks as though I've moved Dallas too far away from Ft. Worth and Ft. Worth too close to Austin.

That's ok, Texas is highly confusing to me :) I've never had the pleasure of riding the TE. I am a west coast/east coast person, and don't spend much time in between except on Amtrak!

Now it looks as though I've moved Dallas too far away from Ft. Worth and Ft. Worth too close to Austin.
Texas is highly confusing to Texans too! :blink: Folks in FTW wish Dallas was farther away and we here in Austin are proud to be so far from the Metro Plex which we consider Southern Oklahoma!! Good job, wish I could do all those wizard things with a computer but being ancient and having arhritis so bad it's a wonder I can even use the keyboard! :lol:

When you get a chance ride the Sunset/Eagle through Texas while you still can! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
amtrak1-1.jpg

Updated version. Thank you for all the suggestions!

If I got the terminology right, I'm going for more of a topological than a metric map. The official Amtrak system map is metric: the routes are imposed on a scaled map of the U.S. and Canada. The idea here is, as was said, more of a "London Underground" style that is topologically correct but not metric, i.e. distances are not reflected accurately.

Being a "map person" Kudos. However, the Crescent does not stop in Winston Salem NC. No Amtrak trains stop there. Greensboro or High Point are the closest to Winston Salem. But why is it listed at all?? Raleigh is a connection point (sort of)

Cool map! I like non-traditional representations such as yours for their ease of use. Can you imagine if the London Underground used only geographically-accurate route maps? ("Mind the gap", indeed!) Though I get into maps of all kinds and if detail is desired, I still like the more conventional route-atlas-style.

Speaking of detail... this may be a more detailed approach than you wish to render, but my only sticking point is with your illustration of the routes in Florida. You have the Silver Star routing between Tampa and Miami through Orlando, which, though a convenient route approximation map-wise, isn't accurate.

Something like the models below would be closer to the technical truth (I hope you don't mind my sampling your diagram for my examples).

FLsilver1.jpg

• Model A does break convention in that lines join in the absence of a point (if you had to add a point/station, Winter Haven would be it, but it is too small a station to include given the map's scale).

• Model B separates the routes for the Star and Meteor south of Tampa and Orlando. Conceptually it works if you aren't concerned with representing the cities in between (and the routes do differ in that the Star stops in Okeechobee while the Meteor passes the station without stopping).
Anyway, that's my two cents. Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Cool map! I like non-traditional representations such as yours for their ease of use. Can you imagine if the London Underground used only geographically-accurate route maps? ("Mind the gap", indeed!) Though I get into maps of all kinds and if detail is desired, I still like the more conventional route-atlas-style. 

Speaking of detail... this may be a more detailed approach than you wish to render, but my only sticking point is with your illustration of the routes in Florida. You have the Silver Star routing between Tampa and Miami through Orlando, which, though a convenient route approximation map-wise, isn't accurate.

Something like the models below would be closer to the technical truth (I hope you don't mind my sampling your diagram for my examples).

FLsilver1.jpg

• Model A does break convention in that lines join in the absence of a point (if you had to add a point/station, Winter Haven would be it, but it is too small a station to include given the map's scale).

• Model B separates the routes for the Star and Meteor south of Tampa and Orlando. Conceptually it works if you aren't concerned with representing the cities in between (and the routes do differ in that the Star stops in Okeechobee while the Meteor passes the station without stopping).
Anyway, that's my two cents. Thanks for sharing your work with us!
Thanks for the clarification! I will work it into the next version. I've never been on Amtrak in Florida.

Today, population shifts and travel increases are evident; but mostly Amtrak has added little in the southeastern and south-central half of the country, mostly on state initiative. Many travelers still are expected to make time consuming and expensive detours via Chicago.
The maps' similarity is depressing for its minimal progress.
Well, it also reflects both the historic and contemporary geographic patterms of rail infrastructure development in America ... something to which Amtrak, for a variety of reasons, is heavily bound.

Going back to the map itself, though ... I've always liked those schematic sorts of designs. And it's very much like the stylized maps that Amtrak used in its promotional material back in the 70s. IIRC, those schematic maps were also put on the bulkheads of refurbished food service cars of that era. I think you can see one in the film Silver Streak.

Today, population shifts and travel increases are evident; but mostly Amtrak has added little in the southeastern and south-central half of the country, mostly on state initiative. Many travelers still are expected to make time consuming and expensive detours via Chicago.
IIRC, those schematic maps were also put on the bulkheads of refurbished food service cars of that era. I think you can see one in the film Silver Streak.
You are correct Kimosabe, and I despised them then too.........................

Keep in mind that Amtrak can only run what Congress allows them to run. If they don't have the money, they will cut the lowest performing trains that run through the middle of their system. Cutting the Desert Wind and Pioneer was not ideal, but cutting the SWC or CZ would have been worse. They had to cut something- it was a zero sum game.

That being said, I have heard rumors that Montana, Washington, and Idaho has discussed funding a revived North Coast Hiawatha, Idaho and Oregon have discussed a revived Pioneer, and I'd say that if the Pioneer and NCH came back, the equipment order needed would also bring back the Desert Wind. None of this is beyond the informal discussion stage, as far as I know.

Further along is extending the Heartland Flyer to Newton. I have heard that if a LD bi-level equipment order is placed, and that extension occurs, Amtrak intends to experiment with the possibility of running through coach and sleeper cars from the Flyer to the Southwest Chief. Since it is not intended to be funded, the through cars would have to be profitable. I'm confident the sleeper will be. It may end up only being a through sleeper.

Also keep in mind the modifications to the midwest trains.

Lastly, while this doesn't correspond to what you were mentioning, I have heard two other major changes. One, a restored "Broadway Limited" (perhaps a different name), is almost a guarantee, although it might follow the same route as the CL west of PGH. Two, a restored Silver Palm, with three distinct routes in Florida, (A, S, FEC).

So, and excuse me the liberty of butchering your map, 2020 oughtta look a bit like THIS MAP!

At least if all the reasonable rumors I have heard come true.

That being said, I have heard rumors that Montana, Washington, and Idaho has discussed funding a revived North Coast Hiawatha, Idaho and Oregon have discussed a revived Pioneer, and I'd say that if the Pioneer and NCH came back, the equipment order needed would also bring back the Desert Wind. None of this is beyond the informal discussion stage, as far as I know.
Boy, it would be nice, but I just don't see it happening ... especially the NCH. It's certainly popular here in Montana to publicly express support for the train, but but I see absolutely no evidence of any substance behind those words, and I think the odds of this state writing a check range from slim to none. North Dakota has shown even less interest in the train, and there's not a chance in the world they would chip in. Same for Idaho, which is also very fiscally conservative, and would obviously be more interested in the Pioneer proposal. But the amount of money allegedly involved is just way too much, and it would go against the grain of too many of the local politicians.

But like I said, it would be nice. And that's definitely a pretty map.

Keep in mind that Amtrak can only run what Congress allows them to run. If they don't have the money, they will cut the lowest performing trains that run through the middle of their system. Cutting the Desert Wind and Pioneer was not ideal, but cutting the SWC or CZ would have been worse. They had to cut something- it was a zero sum game.

Further along is extending the Heartland Flyer to Newton. I have heard that if a LD bi-level equipment order is placed, and that extension occurs, Amtrak intends to experiment with the possibility of running through coach and sleeper cars from the Flyer to the Southwest Chief. Since it is not intended to be funded, the through cars would have to be profitable. I'm confident the sleeper will be. It may end up only being a through sleeper.

Lastly, while this doesn't correspond to what you were mentioning, I have heard two other major changes. One, a restored "Broadway Limited" (perhaps a different name), is almost a guarantee, although it might follow the same route as the CL west of PGH. Two, a restored Silver Palm, with three distinct routes in Florida, (A, S, FEC).

So, and excuse me the liberty of butchering your map, 2020 oughtta look a bit like THIS MAP!

But why do we have to wait until 2020? Can't we have it all- sooner? (Whine, whine!) :)

This thread is absolutely fascinating.

To get a basic grasp of a system's topology the simple map with straight lines and absolutely no non-essential information is ideal.

Does anybody have a historical map of Amtrak. I've been trying to do some reading on the general history but find it all a bit confusing.

Ideal would be one map with routes shown in three colors:

color A for routes that Amtrak operated from the onset and still runs today, realignemnts/diversions not affecting any major destinations can be considered as such unchanged routes.

color B for routes that Amtrak operated in the past but has abandoned

color C for routes that Amtrak has introduced (including diversions/realignemnts that affect major destinations)

This would help create a better impression of where the growth has been and where the retrenchment has been.

It's nice, but could you at least bring that "Texas Chief" down from Ft Worth to Houston and north from Newton to Denver. And you left poor Atlanta just sitting there isolated, if we are dreaming here then connect Chicago to Jacksonville vis Atlanta. Other than that I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back