Concealed Carry

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I will tell United that I am carrying. . .
Are you telling me you can CCW on United just by informing them before you board?

Are you an LEO?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't carry when I go across the Potomac into DC, even though the Democratic policies that that plantation has followed means that it has a crime rate only a bit better than our community organizer in chief, Che Obama's home, Chicago, enjoys. Because they think only criminals should carry a weapon. No?

Most of the places I carry are safer than DC or Chicago, so what does that tell you?

We can discuss the difference between an operative clause and a prefatory clause, but it won't change the fact that our constitution states that we all have the right to bear arms.

Militias ain't in it, the right to bear arms is one the people will always enjoy because the state can't infringe it.

And the Nationals are off to a very nice start this year! LOL!

Should we feel uneasy about those that feel they can't go anywhere without packing heat?

Gun advocates love to quote PART of the 2nd Amendment, but leave out the start that says "..A Well Regulated Militia, being necessary to the common defense..."

Cue Buffalo Springfield singing "For What It's Worth".

niemi, you arrive, you tell them you have a handgun in a locked container in a bag you intend to check in, they say ok and you walk by. LEO isn't an issue. They don't ask, I don't tell. And I fly out of Dulles and Reagan, two of the strictest airports in the US.

So I will tell United that I am carrying. . .
Are you telling me you can CCW on United just by informing them before you board?

Are you an LEO?

So why does having to unload your gun make such a big difference? Do you expect to be attacked by a grizzly bear the moment you step off a train in Montana? Is that the same grizzly bear that attacks that school in Montana?

So why does having to unload your gun make such a big difference? Do you expect to be attacked by a grizzly bear the moment you step off a train in Montana? Is that the same grizzly bear that attacks that school in Montana?
Didn't you hear about the great Whitefish Grizzly Devestation? The bears attacked the platform en masse. It happened the night after the Bowling Green Massacre, as I recall...

I don't carry when I go across the Potomac into DC, even though the Democratic policies that that plantation has followed means that it has a crime rate only a bit better than our community organizer in chief, Che Obama's home, Chicago, enjoys. Because they think only criminals should carry a weapon. No?
President Obama is not actually in office, nor has he ever governed DC or Chicago, so perhaps you should try to find a new bogeyman.

Taking a loaded gun on a train in a "locked" case? Who has the key to that locked case? Oh, the gun owner... Yep, I feel so much safer now. :(

Is it true that background checks on mentaly ill folk who buy guns are recently reduced, under Trump?

Ed.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1488797032.083681.jpg

You can not bring a gun onto a plane except unloaded, in checked baggage, and declared. Individual airlines have slightly different procedures, but that is the underlying policy. Obviously, there are exceptions for certain working LEO (like Air Marshals), and a special program for pilots.

Guess you haven't noticed that Sodom on the Potomac has morphed into one of the most expensive and trendy cities in the US, as opposed to the bad old days,when I first moved there to begin a 30 year Government career.

As for the less than subtle mentions about Plantations,Comrade,Obama and Communist Revolutionaries,

this is the so called alt-rights paranoia MO, where kooks like Donald Trump, Alex Jones, Brite-Bart and numerous Hate Radio Talk Shows spread manure full of hate,racism,conspiracy theories and paranoia.

Say it ain't so Joe, that you don't believe all this lunacy!

When I travel, the handgun is unloaded and locked in a hardcase. I am pretty sure the grizzly will wait til I get off the platform when I arrive.

The case is in the baggage car, unless the gun owner is in violation of the rules like Ziv has admitted to.

If the rules are followed, it's reasonably safe.
Just to place more comfort on this matter...the gun would be in a locked cabinet, in the locked baggage car.

If the rules are followed, of course.

Interestingly, no one has mentioned the cost benefit. On Amtrak, your checked gun in your checked bag is free. Not on any airline (except Southwest). Minimum $50, unless you're some club member.

What we are discussing is the honest, licensed person who wants to follow the rules. How do these rules affect the dishonest person carrying a concealed weapon that will travel Amtrak because there are no TSA security check points. Is this person intending to use their weapon on Amtrak? Probably not, but if confronted they may not think rationally and go willingly. What is the response time from the moment the Conductor radios an emergency to when Law Enforcement board the train?

The response time obviously will vary greatly depending on where a train is located. If a gun is concealed and remains so, detection is unlikely, inspection is a rarity.

If it comes into view and someone notifies the crew, you are likely to leave wearing silver bracelets. Even if your firearm was legal under the laws of the state where you were, you have committed a federal offense and are still subject to arrest.

Most all weapons are not allowed on Amtrak trains, except firearms that are declared and checked as baggage. If you are worried about self protection, you can buy a metal walking cane and carry that with you. I have one that is so solid, that if attacked, I can crack the assailants skull open with it.

On the other hand, checked baggage is not conveniently available between many city pairs, and not at all to many stations.
And the number is diminishing each year as Amtrak reduces the number of stations with staffed agents.

Taking a loaded gun on a train in a "locked" case? Who has the key to that locked case? Oh, the gun owner... Yep, I feel so much safer now. :(

Is it true that background checks on mentaly ill folk who buy guns are recently reduced, under Trump?

Ed.
(bolding mine) Not remotely true.

Ed.
(bolding mine) Not remotely true.
I believe they're talking about this...

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun. The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database. Had the rule fully taken effect, the Obama administration predicted it would have added about 75,000 names to that database. President Barack Obama recommended the now-nullified regulation in a 2013 memo following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, which left 20 first graders and six others dead. The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

President Donald Trump Tuesday signed a measure nixing a regulation aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of some severely mentally ill people. The original rule was part of a series of efforts taken by the Obama administration to try and curb gun violence after other efforts failed to advance in Congress.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/28/politics/guns-mental-health-rule/

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/28/517799119/trump-repeals-rule-designed-to-block-gun-sales-to-certain-mentally-ill-people

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/its-now-easier-for-mentally-ill-people-to-get-guns-thank-trump_us_58b71aeae4b023018c6c6424

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/opinion/congress-says-let-the-mentally-ill-buy-guns.html

Staff has agreed that this thread has run its course. The OP's question has been answered. To avoid more unrelated political posts, we are locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back