Complaint about poor service on Amtrak train 29

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak I just want to thank you for the poor service on #29 Pittsburgh to Chicago today our car had six bathrooms five didn't work, and the sixth one was poorly designed you couldn't get into it. So now we had people who had trouble getting around so we had to go to the next car.. This was my first experience with Amtrak, last time I rode it was Penn Central and I must say I will have to think very hard about riding the train again

Amtrak I just want to thank you for the poor service on #29 Pittsburgh to Chicago today our car had six bathrooms five didn't work, and the sixth one was poorly designed you couldn't get into it. So now we had people who had trouble getting around so we had to go to the next car.. This was my first experience with Amtrak, last time I rode it was Penn Central and I must say I will have to think very hard about riding the train again
BTW, in spite of having the word "Amtrak" in the name of this forum, this forum has no business connection with Amtrak. If you wish to have your complaint heard by Amtrak please send a message to or call up and chat with Amtrak Customer Relations. You can get to them through the Amtrak 1-800 number and asking for Customer Relations.

This was my first experience with Amtrak, last time I rode it was Penn Central
Whoa, old-timer! That was over 41 years ago! :) Before I was born, in fact.
The cars Amtrak runs from Pittsburgh to Chicago were, unfortunately, purchased mostly in 1979 and are starting to fall apart. Just like the cars run by Penn Central were probably falling apart when you rode them (at least that's what I've heard from everyone else who rode trains run by Penn Central in 1968-1971). Amtrak would like to replace them with newer, more reliable cars which are more compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, but Amtrak doesn't have the funding.

Wow you had to walk 1 car to use a bathroom?? And I thought I was lazy! Take your complaints directly to Amtrak. Cause truthfully I just don't care. At least the train had working bathrooms.. Their is a ton more that could be worth complaining about. Like disgruntled employees. Or the constant lack of funding that has been an issue since May 1, 1971.

This was my first experience with Amtrak, last time I rode it was Penn Central
Whoa, old-timer! That was over 41 years ago! :) Before I was born, in fact.
The cars Amtrak runs from Pittsburgh to Chicago were, unfortunately, purchased mostly in 1979 and are starting to fall apart. Just like the cars run by Penn Central were probably falling apart when you rode them (at least that's what I've heard from everyone else who rode trains run by Penn Central in 1968-1971). Amtrak would like to replace them with newer, more reliable cars which are more compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, but Amtrak doesn't have the funding.
Mr Acela when you walk around with a cane and go up and down the narrow steps its a little more difficult than you think ok and I posted here just for a slap at a once proud rail system granted the political landscape is horrible, but you would be amazed who reads this board and if you don't like posts whether it be the tittle which I didn't write you don't like my posts don't read them I don't read all the posts on here because they are silly

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe65, you are preaching to the choir. We're all painfully aware of Amtrak's shortcomings.

Rather than vent on an online chat board that's not associated with Amtrak in any way, how about directing your wrath at the folks which most definitely deserve a ration of s*it - - the US Congress, who has chronically underfunded Amtrak since Day 1. Start with your own Congress-sloth, and work your way up. Quit voting for cretins, maybe we can get something done.

Only one comment: The title refers to poor "service", and that implies that service attendants were not doing their job. However, the actual complaint seems to be about restroom facilities that suffered mechanical failures. In many cases, there is little or nothing that onboard personnel can do. The complaint should be lodged against the Mechanical Dept. and/or the designers of a system that does not lend itself to enroute correction.

OP: They go into attack mode quickly here. One functioning restroom, out of six, isn't a great ratio. Please phone Amtrak Customer Relations to let them know of the situation.

People who have no physical limitations just don't get it sometimes. When enough years pass, they'll understand more clearly.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, please follow the suggestions and complain directly to Amtrak. I sent them a long letter recently about the downgrading of service and that the toilets quit in my car on the Southwest Chief. I was not looking for a voucher, but they sent me a hefty one, anyway, for $250! I will admit that it was not a big deal to go up to the Transdorm and use the facilities there, but the condition of some of the equipment is discouraging.

"Attack mode " ...perfect description of the way things are here so often .

I was on 29(7) and arrived in CHI yesterday. I was in the "through" coach next to the sightseer lounge car and we had no problems with our toilets all were functioning as best as I can tell.

My complaint and I did complain to the onboard staff was about the rowdiness and loud carrying on of a number of passengers in the SSL way past the "curfew" hour and loud and obnoxious language that would make a sailor blush.

Unfortunately, the crew did nothing. I was hoping they would be shown the platform at Alliance in the middle of the night.

The sightseer car is where people are supposed to go to get drunk and rowdy. It's part of the fun.

GML - I hope you are speaking in jest. I take a really dim view of " adults " who think it is cool to be loud and foul mouthed out in public. I use a few off color words myself and like a couple of drinks, but behavior that one of the previous posters mentioned in the lounge car, along with my recent experience on United Airlines, is out of order. If I had been on 29 and those yokels were disrupting my time and space, I would have collared the conductor. They deserve a middle of the night stop. Several years ago I was on a Greyhound bus headed to Indianapolis and we had a disruptive drunk. The driver pulled over on the side of I65 and told him " You are getting a free ride with the State Police. " That is exactly what happened and I shook the driver's hand when I got off. The part when the drunk was trying to bribe the driver with a wad of 20 dollar bills was kind of entertaining.

I disagree with this.

This is not an official Amtrak forum- this is a forum for people who like to travel on Amtrak. New posters frequently come here and get answers to their Amtrak questions - and the most helpful "correct" answer (complaining directly to Amtrak) has already been posted. Considering that the OP didn't even ask for a resolution to his/her problem, that's pretty helpful behavior.

Imagine this was a forum for people who like Ford pickup trucks. If you went on such a forum and asked about parts for a 1997 F-150 transmission, and somebody gave you a helpful answer, that would be a good thing. But if you posted as a newbie on a Ford forum about how much Ford trucks suck and how you're going to get a Chevy next time, wouldn't you expect people to reply in a less than friendly manner?

The OP did not come here asking for help. The OP intentionally came here, to a forum full of Amtrak fans, simply to say how much he/she hated a trip on Amtrak and how he/she will never ride Amtrak again. In most places on the Internet, this is considered "trolling".

GML - I hope you are speaking in jest. I take a really dim view of " adults " who think it is cool to be loud and foul mouthed out in public. I use a few off color words myself and like a couple of drinks, but behavior that one of the previous posters mentioned in the lounge car, along with my recent experience on United Airlines, is out of order. If I had been on 29 and those yokels were disrupting my time and space, I would have collared the conductor. They deserve a middle of the night stop. Several years ago I was on a Greyhound bus headed to Indianapolis and we had a disruptive drunk. The driver pulled over on the side of I65 and told him " You are getting a free ride with the State Police. " That is exactly what happened and I shook the driver's hand when I got off. The part when the drunk was trying to bribe the driver with a wad of 20 dollar bills was kind of entertaining.
I kind of agree with this. While I think what GML was talking about and the disorderly drunk in your bus story are slightly different, it does seem like what was once considered appropriate public conduct isn't anymore. Particularly when it comes to swearing.

If "drunk and rowdy" gets to the point where it becomes obnoxious and offensive to other passengers, or in the presence of small children, then it should be halted. However, the Conductor will probable not take any action until someone complains.

The SSL is not your corner bar; I don't care whether it's past "curfew" or not.

We've moved into an area that should probably be a new thread. The lounge, diner, and coaches are public places. Your sleeper accommodation is a somewhat private place, but its proximity to other passengers' accommodations means that you need to observe some level of propriety there, too. The OBS staff can make a recommendation to the conductor as to the possible removal of a passenger for improper language or behavior, but the final decision is the conductor's. Then the conductor has to worry about whether his/her superiors, who weren't there to observe the incident, will support the decision after the fact.

On a Superliner, I think downstairs is a fine place for drunks and obnoxious people to congregate after the cafe' closes. Unfortunately, some OBS would like to just close it off and make it off limits, bringing them upstairs.

Upstairs is for sightseeing. Reading. Watching the scenery go by on huge panoramic windows - even in the middle of the night.

Leave 'em downstairs. There's a bathroom down there, too.

I'd actually be okay with the downstairs being some sort of night time party place, since their noise wouldn't disturb anyone. But then again, people in coach sometimes like to stretch out on the floor upstairs, that might not be so fun for them.

offtopic1re.jpg

I disagree with this.

This is not an official Amtrak forum- this is a forum for people who like to travel on Amtrak. New posters frequently come here and get answers to their Amtrak questions - and the most helpful "correct" answer (complaining directly to Amtrak) has already been posted. Considering that the OP didn't even ask for a resolution to his/her problem, that's pretty helpful behavior.

Imagine this was a forum for people who like Ford pickup trucks. If you went on such a forum and asked about parts for a 1997 F-150 transmission, and somebody gave you a helpful answer, that would be a good thing. But if you posted as a newbie on a Ford forum about how much Ford trucks suck and how you're going to get a Chevy next time, wouldn't you expect people to reply in a less than friendly manner?

The OP did not come here asking for help. The OP intentionally came here, to a forum full of Amtrak fans, simply to say how much he/she hated a trip on Amtrak and how he/she will never ride Amtrak again. In most places on the Internet, this is considered "trolling".
"And I thought I was lazy!" "...I just don't care"

Rather rude and insulting, and totally unnecessary and unrelated to providing any answer. To a brand new poster, no less. What happened to common courtesy?

And DP, your comment about the title was a little disrespectful, although I had the above statements from Acela in mind, not yours. Perhaps a better way would have been something like "It's helpful to us if your thread title is more descriptive" or whatever.

On another note, "discussion" generally includes pro and cons of an experience. I didn't find the OP's post that much out of line. It was quickly and appropriately pointed out to him that this forum is not Amtrak's, if Amtrak was the OP's intended audience.

To basically call a new poster "lazy," when you have no way of knowing his or her condition or circumstances, just for the heck of it, is pathetic. I still stand by my characterization of "attack mode." And no, I'm not the other guest who agreed with me. Perhaps it's more apparent to occasional visitors than to regulars, simply because it does happen so much that you no longer notice it.

That said, this forum can be very informative and helpful, but almost every time I return, I'm quickly turned off by rude and unnecessarily snarky comments. It takes no more effort to be polite that it does to be rude. It's certainly not everyone (Sarah comes to mind), but it does happen far too much and seems to be A-OK with most here. I usually just quietly go away, but I guess I'd eaten my Wheaties or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back