Comparing Amtrak to a few other Pax RRs around the world

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the meat of the article (although I wouldn't recommend skipping the rest, which has some interesting information and comments):

In Switzerland, where I live, the trains or a bus connect every village, town and city in the country. Geneva has more than 100 trains daily. Austin, Texas, a comparable city in terms of size, has two. But the railway is expensive for foreigners who visit the country. Round trip from Geneva to Zermatt for a family of four is about $600. Nonetheless, the rail network is a national asset.

The German passenger railway, Deutsche Bahn, is incomparable. Nothing matches its speed, comfort, and service. Its Inter-City Express trains (ICEs) are the best in the world for the cost, not to mention the beer that's served.

The United Kingdom, which has privatized much of what was BritRail, is a mixed bag of flash roads. Private companies are now competing for passengers, which means lovely new carriages, and better pork pies on the tea trolleys. But neither the private companies nor the government is spending what is needed on Britain’s roadbed and infrastructure, which explains some of the horrible accidents in the system.

France has its Train à Grande Vitesse (TGV), which operates on segregated, elevated high-speed track, and makes the runs from Lyon and Avignon to Paris not much longer than local commuter service. I find its seats cramped in second class (too airliner-ish), and French stations are dingy, but otherwise the TGV is a model train. A comparable system in the U.S. could reduce the trip from New York to Washington or Boston to less than two hours. But it would mean building a new interstate for trains.

Italy has some excellent trains, and fast ones too. I know this, because I've seen them speed by as I have stood on platforms in Italy. But I never seem to catch any of them. The trains I ride have dirty seats, broken air conditioning, and inexplicable delays in places like Domodossola.

Eastern European night trains — I am partial to these, I confess — include heavy sleepers that go from Ljubljana to Belgrade, or Iasi to Bucharest, with reasonable fares, starched sheets on the berths, brandy at breakfast, and the chance to visit such exotic places as Debrecen, Lviv, and Chisinau.

The Russian Railways has, remarkably, become an excellent company, with improved passenger and freight services, including trans-Siberian container shipping that can get boxes from the Pacific to Berlin in less time than cargo ships.

"In Switzerland, where I live, the trains or a bus connect every village, town and city in the country. Geneva has more than 100 trains daily. Austin, Texas, a comparable city in terms of size, has two. But the railway is expensive for foreigners who visit the country. Round trip from Geneva to Zermatt for a family of four is about $600. Nonetheless, the rail network is a national asset."

The "facts" in this seem a little thin to say the least.....

Geneva averages about 18 trains an hour, so 100 trains daily is just a little out.

As for fares, yes Swiss railways can be expensive, but this person claims to live there, so buying a half fare card for a year for 150 CHF saves you a fortune, 2 adults and 2 children round trip for the Geneva to Zematt trip would be 440 CHF full fare, 264 with the half fare card.

Once you have your half fare card you can buy a day pass for the whole country for most transport for 64 CHF.

Anyone can buy a half fare card, not just residents.

As for fares, yes Swiss railways can be expensive, but this person claims to live there, so buying a half fare card for a year for 150 CHF saves you a fortune, 2 adults and 2 children round trip for the Geneva to Zematt trip would be 440 CHF full fare, 264 with the half fare card.
This is not exactly correct.

The day pass is also available if you don't buy a half fare card @ CHF 128 (about $120).

Kids below 16 ride free in Switzerland if you buy a Family Card (valid 1 year) at the price of CHF 20 (about $18).

This means that the price will be CHF 240.

Interesting that the purveyors of some of the most horribly maintained mainline tracks in the country, CSX, is mentioned as the beacon of hope for improving things under private ownership. Sigh....

This is not exactly correct.The day pass is also available if you don't buy a half fare card @ CHF 128 (about $120).
I wouldn't call you a liar, but I have scoured the SBB site and see no mention of a day pass except as an add on to the half fare card. Can you point me to where that is online? Would be very good if it exists.....

As for the fare maths, it was a quick add up before going to work. The point still remains that the reporters maths is garbage!

Can you point me to where that is online? Would be very good if it exists.....
I checked their printed timetable (it's about 2000 pages, compare it to the 100 something pages amtrak offers), obviously they 've cancelled this option which was available a few years ago, i'll double check that next time i get close to a swiss railway station.

I was just in Switzerland this past July, and paid a tad under $300 US for a 5 day pass that allowed me on almost every train and transit system in the country. I rode countless trains, buses, trolleys and even a few boats with it. So I'd have to dispute the assertion that its expensive for travelers.

Can you point me to where that is online? Would be very good if it exists.....
I checked their printed timetable (it's about 2000 pages, compare it to the 100 something pages amtrak offers), obviously they 've cancelled this option which was available a few years ago, i'll double check that next time i get close to a swiss railway station.
I can't see it exists anymore. Pity really, would be useful. I already get 50% off as part of my employment, so buying a half fare card is a bit of a waste of money.

Oh well.......

Let me tell you about train system in Ukraine.

The last I used it 5 years ago, but I don’t think it really changed recently.

I believe trains go to all 28 regional centers of Ukraine and to most mid-size cities.

In my home city there are around 100 trains per day (I just checked) plus a hundred of local (“commuter”) trains.

Most of train consists of 18-20 passenger cars and usually they are all “sleepers” even on short routes.

Long distance trains also have one dining car, although it’s not very popular. Most of people take their own food.

Sleeper cars have rooms for 4 people so you can travel with another company. No showers in sleeper

(which is right in my opinion – shower takes too much space).

There is usually one “luxury” car with sleepers that have rooms for 2 people only (the same size as 4 people rooms).

Tickets are usually very cheap, they used to be something like $10 for overnight trip 5 years ago, maybe a little bit more now.

During summer peak times they easily add new trains and new routes, it’s done very easily. I can’t imagine that

somebody would discuss on political level which train should go where (like they do here for years with Sunset Limited

and other trains).

Some routes have auto-carrying cars. You can pay extra and they will put your car on the train. But it’s not very common

In Ukraine.

Speeds are not very fast on Ukrainian trains. They started new “express” trains few years ago and they run just like regular

Amtrak train (60-70 mph). Regular Ukrainian train runs slower (maybe 35-50 mph).

What we don’t have – lounge type “observation” cars like on Amtrak western routes. That is a really cool thing!

I was just in Switzerland this past July, and paid a tad under $300 US for a 5 day pass that allowed me on almost every train and transit system in the country. I rode countless trains, buses, trolleys and even a few boats with it. So I'd have to dispute the assertion that its expensive for travelers.
It's not. It's like saying that a plane fare from London to New York costs £7000. Other options are available! The Swiss Pass is very good value for money.

Let me tell you about train system in Ukraine.

The last I used it 5 years ago, but I don’t think it really changed recently.

I believe trains go to all 28 regional centers of Ukraine and to most mid-size cities.

In my home city there are around 100 trains per day (I just checked) plus a hundred of local (“commuter”) trains.

Most of train consists of 18-20 passenger cars and usually they are all “sleepers” even on short routes.

Long distance trains also have one dining car, although it’s not very popular. Most of people take their own food.

Sleeper cars have rooms for 4 people so you can travel with another company. No showers in sleeper

(which is right in my opinion – shower takes too much space).

There is usually one “luxury” car with sleepers that have rooms for 2 people only (the same size as 4 people rooms).

Tickets are usually very cheap, they used to be something like $10 for overnight trip 5 years ago, maybe a little bit more now.

During summer peak times they easily add new trains and new routes, it’s done very easily. I can’t imagine that

somebody would discuss on political level which train should go where (like they do here for years with Sunset Limited

and other trains).

Some routes have auto-carrying cars. You can pay extra and they will put your car on the train. But it’s not very common

In Ukraine.

Speeds are not very fast on Ukrainian trains. They started new “express” trains few years ago and they run just like regular

Amtrak train (60-70 mph). Regular Ukrainian train runs slower (maybe 35-50 mph).

What we don’t have – lounge type “observation” cars like on Amtrak western routes. That is a really cool thing!
Most interesting,sounds sort of like the old days here except for the cheap sleeper fares!Only problem I see is the no shower part,guess we decadent Americans have gotten spoiled by AC and Showers and plenty of filling,if not good,meals on our trains!The 4 person sleepers sound like the European trains,most Americans wouldnt want to share a bedroom with strangers although those of us fortunate enough to have done it see nothing wrong,it sure beats 48 hours in coach! :lol: Guess we shouldnt complain about our lounges,at least we have them!thanks for the report!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back