Compared Air Tran to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingee

OBS Chief
I am kicking around flying versus train for early January. I can have the bus from Peoria, Illinois to Champaign, Illinois to New Orleans (train) for three people with two roomettes with a AAA discount for $1033.00 versus Air Tran for Bloomington, Illinois to Atlanta to New Orleans for $1304.97. Now I may get the cheaper discount with Air Tran when booking on Tuesday nights. Also have a credit a little under $200 on Air Tran. It takes 18 hours or so on the train versus 6-7 on a plane.

I don't like flying but hey you get there quicker. From what I have heard, trains aren't as affected by weather like planes are.

Any thoughts to help me decide?

If time is important (you want to get there yesterday!), I'd say go with flying. But if you want to start your vacation and relax from the "get go" (not get to the airport early, check in, go through security, wait to board, wait to taxi, etc...), I'd take the train! And if you fly, don't forget to add the cost of the food and the 2 extra nights at the hotel (that you would have on the train included) to the cost!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like flying but hey you get there quicker. From what I have heard, trains aren't as affected by weather like planes are.
Extreme heat or cold causes speed restrictions on many railroads, and fall leaves can be a problem. Severe snow might also occasionally cause problems.

Then again, when precipitation occurs that impedes visibility, it can dramatically reduce the number of planes per hour an airport can handle, and the schedules are typically written with the assumption that such precipitation won't happen.

Gad, I didn't think of the extreme cold or anything like that. Anyone have any comparisions on any winter travel they were on?

If time is important (you want to get there yesterday!), I'd say go with flying. But if you want to start your vacation and relax from the "get go" (not get to the airport early, check in, go through security, wait to board, wait to taxi, etc...), I'd take the train! And if you fly, don't forget to add the cost of the food and the 2 extra nights at the hotel (that you would have on the train included) to the cost!
Not only the hotel cost, but also the cost of getting from the New Orleans airport to the city and return - which if I remember correcly is not cheap. there is a shuttle bus service that is reasonable, but remember, amtrak will take you right to the center of the city.

Amtrak goes to the center of the city? Where is that considered? We are staying by the Riverwalk Mall if you know where that is. It is on the river where the cruise ships go out.

Amtrak goes to the center of the city? Where is that considered? We are staying by the Riverwalk Mall if you know where that is. It is on the river where the cruise ships go out.
That's probably no more than a mile from the Amtrak station and maybe a 5 minute taxi ride, if you get all red lights.

If the train is only 18 hours I would look into going coach and save more money.

We often take the train one way and the plane the other. Plane fares are usually cheaper (if you are traveling in a bedroom) and of course saves time - but the journey is often more important than the destination. And you can't be the train (in a sleeper) for that.

On most discount airlines it doesn't cost more to only go one way, nor does it on Amtrak. Also you may want to check air fares out of Chicago - including Southwest that doesn't have extra fees - as might save a few more dollars (and get a nice train ride into the big city).

Hmm.. Hard Question. Air Tran is an extremely nice airline as I fly them almost exclusively. They run some of the best equipment. Mostly MD95 but the 737-700 is very nice as well. If getting there on time is a factor, go with Air Tran, if you fly often, take the train as it's a more relaxing trip overall.

Corey

It probably wouldn't be a question but going in January is a different thought than going in July due to possible weather problems.

Keep in mind - in the Winter, your daylight hours are diminished considerably, taking away from the view. Summertime, lots of time, take the train. Winter time, gotta get there, take the plane. Everything else inbetween....take the train. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back