Commuter Barack

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
While doing other things, with CNN going on, caught Barack Obama live, making a speech in Paoli, PA. As he was speaking - he mentioned fixing train stations - a SEPTA train arrived right behind him. And stayed. A long shot later in the speech showed another SEPTA train departing, but the one behind Obama didn't move again.

Politics aside - this is not the place for that - where is Paoli, PA?? I've heard of payola, but not Paoli. Is it the end of a line?

I'd like to hear from our eastern friends on this.

Oh, and they have a primary coming up in a couple days.

Hint to Pennsylvanians: George W. Bush is not on the ballot this time.

Paoli is on the Amtrak Harrisburg line. On Saturday's there are a few trains that terminate/originate at Paoli. Most trains however originate/terminate at either Malvern or Thorndale, both of which are further west. Here's a SEPTA system map.

Thanks, Alan!

I now learn that Obama is making a campaign swing through Pennsylvania riding Amtrak.

Can't tell yet, but maybe some private varnish to conjure the ghost of Harry Truman?

Wouldn't that be grand!

Could it be, could it be, (pleaspleaseplease), that Obama is trying to demonstrate a commitment to transportation? I don't see Billary riding trains, or even anywhere near them.

Some of their runs are rather nice, many have wonderful old train stations still in use, and there are a few lines that run along a river.

One word of caution though, make sure that you plan your trips carefully and allow for bathroom breaks, because SEPTA doesn't believe that people will ever need to use the facilities while riding. There are no bathrooms on SEPTA trains.

Paoli is on the Amtrak Harrisburg line. On Saturday's there are a few trains that terminate/originate at Paoli. Most trains however originate/terminate at either Malvern or Thorndale, both of which are further west. Here's a SEPTA system map.
Thanks again, Alan. Finally got a look at the SEPTA system map. Didn't realize SEPTA is so extensive.

I rowed competitvely in college, and heard teammates talking about "The Skookle." Didn't know 'til we got there that they meant the Schuykill River in Philly.

"When do we get to the skookle?"

"This is it."

"But this river is called shooey-kill."

"It's pronounced skookle."

"Oh."

:lol:

Back