Colorado Fires

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in Denver now. They are taking The next 6 stops and splitting them in half bussing the next 3 from Denver in then the next 3 they are bussing backwards from Slc to their destination. A little confusing but only thing I am upset about is missing moffat tunnel. they are taking us into Wyoming to avoid the fires. I am not sure of the route we will take
Ok, I misread your earlier post thinking you had left DEN two hours earlier, not that you were two hours from arriving in DEN. That makes sense now.

My daughter just told me there's a new fire in Utah ... In Salt Lake County. All the talk on the news is about Colorado, but there are fires in Utah that I suspect could hamper rail travel there if they spread.

Today's Trains News Wire reads, in part,

"Amtrak sources report that both of Friday's California Zephyrs (originating Thursday from Chicago and Emeryville, Cal.) are being rerouted from their normal Denver-Salt Lake City route today as a result of the Pine Ridge wildfire. The fire is burning in six-mile long Debeque Canyon, 60 miles west of Glenwood Springs, Colo. on the Zephyr's former Denver & Rio Grande Western route. The trains will be routed over the Union Pacific's Overland Route through Green River, Wyo., and Ogden, Utah,

"UP track maintenance personnel discovered the fire last night at 7:23 p.m., several hours after the eastbound Zephyr had passed. The railroad dispatched water trucks from Denver to the fire, which also closed Interstate 70 from exit 49 to exit 62. Alternate transportation is being provided for passengers aboard the two trains, but not for passengers scheduled to board at the stops missed.

"Amtrak has blocked reservations between Denver and Salt Lake City on Saturday (June 30), so the detour is likely to continue for several days."

On #5 and still have heard nothing. We are going all the way to Emeryville. You would think if they were taking people off in Denver, they would let them know very soon as people will start to bed soon.

On #5 and still have heard nothing. We are going all the way to Emeryville. You would think if they were taking people off in Denver, they would let them know very soon as people will start to bed soon.
I'm hoping they choose to do the same tomorrow as they did today. Rare mileage would never be a bad thing! (And yes, I'm willing to sacrifice some views to get rare mileage...at least once. ;) )

Conductor just made final announcement for the evening. I am leaning towards believing this train will go normal route. But at least go the detour route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hope so! BUT I actually like the Wyoming route better than the Colorado canyon crawl. The Red Canyon(?) that the train goes through in Utah is pretty spectacular, and it's nice to see the great plains in daylight. I'm taking the CZ eastbound next week and would not enjoy being put on a bus.

Don't know what it means for the rail line of course but according to The Grand Junction Daily Sentinel I-70 has been re-opened. GJ Sentinel

This is a situation where Amtrak has every opportunity to be proactive with customer service and it appears they are sticking to the tried and true "head in the sand" method. What would the harm be making the passengers aware of a potential re-route? Printman2000 could find himself heading north out of Denver Union Station with no advance notice. Maybe not a big deal for him as he's traveling to the end of the line. But a passenger scheduled to get off in Granby, Glenwood Springs, or Grand Junction may appreciate the advanced warning that they may be arriving by bus. I know I would. And if tomorrow morning comes and the route is run as normal, no harm. Managing expectations when there's a chance things will go sideways goes a long way for customer service.

I'm going to be on the CZ beginning with boarding in Chicago next Thursday, thus being in Denver a week from today. Hopefully the regular route through the Rockies will have reopened for passenger travel by then, but if not so be it. Last year I was scheduled to ride the CZ the first of August and it was cancelled at the last second, causing me to be rerouted on the SWC (in coach) to Los Angeles instead. At least this way I'll still be on the CZ in a bedroom albeit not on the route I would have preferred.

We're scheduled to leave today from Chicago to Glenwood Springs. Amtrak has told us we meed to disembark in Denver with no alternative transportation provided. Anyone know anything different or if the track might be open by tomorrow?

Curious to know what opitions would be available had busses not been found? Would Amtrak pay for rental cars? What if people don't drive? SOL?

I'm not hep to all the leagalese of the Terms of Carriage but it would seem to be one paid to be taken to, say, Grand Junction and Amtrak wouldn't be able to fulfill those terms.

Can i cancel with a full refund if they say i need to be bussed?

Since it is a natural disaster, I assume Amtrak can cancel without making provisions for everyone.
Yeah. Unfortunately there is always a Force Majeur exception to all contracts. There are some shuttle vans from Denver International that do go up in the hills, but how far I don't know. On the plains they run all the way to Fort Collins and beyond.

Then there is of course Greyhound, which has 3 services per day to Glenwood Springs, takes about 4 hours and costs $49 to $59 or such.

So one is not left completely at lurch. Now imagine if Amtrak and Greyhound would play nicely together what would be possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back