Cold nights crossing the mountains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnabq

Lead Service Attendant
I've read several comments in the few months I've been here advising folks to bring a blanket (and pillow) as the nights can be chilly aboard Amtrak.

I was in a store recently here in Albuquerque that sells items made by the native-Americans in New Mexico. I saw a stack of woolen ponchos selling at $7.98 each.

Think I'll get one for my trip next month. As a poncho, I'll not have any problems with it sliding off as I sleep.

Just thought I'd pass this idea along.

Maybe someone will mistake me for Clint Eastwood. An older, heavier one. :giggle:

tnr2L.jpg

Great idea. I have a poncho my mom crocheted for me way back in the 70's. I'll have to remember to take it with me on my upcoming trip. My concern, though, sleeping with it on would be it gettting "pulled" by my movements and chocking me. Hopefully the neck hole on your poncho is bigger than the one on mine.

Bringing blankets or layers of clothing is a good idea. It would be impossible for Amtrak to regulate the temperature at a level that would be comfortable for all passengers.

I am almost always uncomfortably warm on the train, with the exception of when I'm in a roomette during the winter and can turn down/off the individual heat control in my compartment.

As far as a poncho goes, perhaps you should sleep with it laying on you rather than actually wearing it. That way it can be easily removed if it is too warm.

What frosts me -- literally -- is how my cold-as-ice Southwest Chief roomette's car last week proudly displayed one of those stimulus package TIGER rehab decals. My roomette's vent wouldn't close far enough to block the cold air and the heating unit was completely inoperative. Aside from that touch-pad LED lighting system whose night lights can never be completely shut off and whose design results in unintended SCA calls, just what was rehabbed on these Superliners?

This experience contrasted nicely with my oven-hot roomette on the Texas Eagle on the first leg of my trip. That car also wore a decal boasting of rehabilitation.

Both times, gaffer's tape saved the day. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bring a snuggie (yes the blanket with sleeves) with me. I got one as a gift and it's only use for me is a blanket on the train, since it won't fall off.

The sightseer lounge is also really cold every time I've been on the SWC, so I have a sweatshirt for that too

The sightseer lounge is also really cold every time I've been on the SWC, so I have a sweatshirt for that too
Could the uncomfortable temperature be by design to discourage overnight lingering?
it very well could be. I always assumed that it was because of all the windows, and especially in the summer when travelling through the desert area there, I imagine the lounge would get quite warm. (It did start to get warm when I was taking it westward on October 5th (left the 4th), because they shut the power off for about 10 minutes to connect some private cars to the end of our consist.

I slept in the lounge this past time though, I just wore pjs, a sweatshirt, and my blanket. But it never fails that when I go back to coach it's a lot warmer then the lounge.

Could the uncomfortable temperature be by design to discourage overnight lingering?
The EB lounge is almost always colder than the rest of the train as well. If it's not a deliberate measure, maybe it's just because there are fewer seats to disrupt airflow. All it causes me to do is buy more coffee than I normally would.

I bring layers of clothing to be ready for too hot, too cold, or just right. Bought Under Armour items (outlet store) yesterday for my upcoming trips: wicking quarter zip top and very cozy fleece hoodie. Train travel requires layers, and lots of companies make little travel blankets and pillows now - fallout from the airlines no longer providing them.

BTW, my airline FA friends tell me they purposely turn down the heat on overnight flights to keep pax in their seats. This is probably the case in the lounge cars on trains.

I think the coach cars heat up from the sheer number of sleeping bodies. It gets pretty warm and stale in there. The lounge car is much more comfortable for me because the air feels cooler, therefore fresher. I usually hang out in there until I'm too sleepy to keep my eyes open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back