Coffee in the sleeper cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MiniMax

I once had the most delicious coffee on the Sunset Ltd. The car attendant said that she brought her own French Roast coffee for her riders. I've often wondered if it would be okay to bring along a pound of good coffee from my local coffee roaster for the car attendant to share with the other passengers. What do you think? Would the car attendant accept it and brew it? Or, would it be against some rule?

Liability concerns would force the attendant to say no. That coffee might be laced with strychnine. Well-meaning folks in the past have brought boxes of doughnuts to share but they have been confiscated and thrown out.

I'd bring it, there is a chance that they'd say no, but I'm guessing they will say yes.

Here is a tip for someone travelling on the airlines: Bring fresh baked cookies, and share them with the f/a's. You'll end up getting amazing service for the rest of the flight.

Liability concerns would force the attendant to say no. That coffee might be laced with strychnine. Well-meaning folks in the past have brought boxes of doughnuts to share but they have been confiscated and thrown out.
I bought a Box on Donuts in Portland and took it on #28 and shared it with fellow Sleeping Car Passengers including the SCA! No Problema! YMMV

I bought a Box on Donuts in Portland and took it on #28 and shared it with fellow Sleeping Car Passengers including the SCA! No Problema! YMMV
Would that be a pink box from Voodoo Donuts?

Would that be a pink box from Voodoo Donuts?
Yes it was! They were Great Donuts!, ;) (When you get to be a Senior of a "Certain Age" you tend to forget Names! :giggle: )

They wouldn't happen to do deliveries would they? I have a hour and ten minute connection on April 1...sadly not enough time to get to their store :( .

I'd rather die of random poisoning than live a long life scared of my own shadow.

Amtrak 'coffee' needs quotation marks around it in the thread title.
Agreed.

Here is a tip for someone travelling on the airlines: Bring fresh baked cookies, and share them with the f/a's. You'll end up getting amazing service for the rest of the flight.
I'm not sure I follow. Are the FA's going to provide you with food that was never stocked? Pillows and blankets that no longer exist? Move the seats around to provide better pitch? Stand in the aisle keeping you company while blocking everyone else? The only thing I want a flight attendant to do is clean up the restroom once in a while, and I doubt all the cookies in the world would convince them to do that.

Voodoo is only about 10 blocks from Union Station, 70 minutes is plenty of time.
Even if you could get to their store you'd have to wait in line to buy their surprisingly mediocre doughnuts. They make their doughnuts look very interesting but the quality seems to suffer from the focus on artistic license. You'll get the same experience taking a few photos through the display case and leaving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with DA on this one. Voodoo has long lines, which could easily be an hour, but their doughnuts are not worth it. Top Pot in Seattle gets better reviews.

"Everyone to their Own Taste!" said the Old maid as she kissed the Cow! ^_^ I've actually had better Donuts several p[aces (there was no line the day I went to Voodoo) and I'm sure the ones in Seattle are Better as Charlie says, but maybe they tasted Better cause they were Eaten on a LD Train Rolling Up the Mighty Columbia! ;)

IMHO, there is a big difference between you sharing donuts with other passengers, and you giving the donuts to an Amtrak employee, and asking that employee to share them with other passengers.

As our Party Pooper correctly pointed out, if Amtrak is distributing such to passengers, Amtrak becomes responsible and accountable. A risk Amtrak just doesn't want to take.

I live not too far from the original Krispee Kreme. They sill do it the old way, and different from all other Krispee Kreme's I have been too. Right next to the library in Portsmouth. Unfortunately you do not have enough time to get off the Cardinal in South Portsmouth and make it back. But if you are driving through,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back