Coast to coast

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you are in a sleeper!! I have made four cross country trips (Have a daughter in San Francisco) and enjoyed

each trip. I load my netbook with videos and some oldtime radio audio. I check my luggage and only bring to my

room the clean clothes that I need for the trip. I take my meals in the diner and usually meet people throughout

the trip and share travel experiences. I'm not a smoker, but I get off the train at each smoke stop and walk around

a bit and get some fresh air. I often go to the Sightseer Lounge to enjoy scenery and chatting with other passengers.

It is amazing how quickly the time goes. I hope you enjoy your trip.

I too hope you are in a sleeper and that you have a great trip. The Lakeshore across Massachusetts is a beautiful ride and the Empire Builder from Chicago I consider to have been my finest Amtrak experience in recent years. Keep your eyes open to take in the myriad of details that you can observe while crossing the entire country. The dining car food is not haute cuisine. but is pretty good and one can have some great times meeting other passengers over meals. Be sure and tip the dining car staff and car attendants if their service warrants it. You can expect that some things may not go as planned. Barring a major disruption, these things all add to the experience. You may wish to bring some reading material for use after dark, but watch the country go by during the day. When you arrive in Oregon, you will have had a trip that you will long remember.

My wife and I have gone from BOS to PDX a few times and will again in Sept. If you are an early riser the ride across North Dakota at sunrise should not be missed. Have your camera ready.Shoot at a fast lens speed for best results.Enjoy the trip.

Read this:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/forum/78-amtrak-faqs-first-time-rider-info/

In particular, if you are in coach rather than sleeper, read a few threads on comfort in coach. It is quite possible and do-able, less so if you are older and creaky like me. The sleepers and included meals are great, coach is usually a LOT cheaper.

There is a lot of good information all over this forum, the more specific the question the more specific the answers you will get.

Have fun planning what will most likely be a great adventure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, for all of this so far, I do in fact have a sleeper for the long leg, Chicago to Seattle. And I am an early riser, so im looking forward to those sunrises!

-muddy

I love the EB! It is an excellnt train, the best Amtrak IMHO. Be sure not to miss the Wine & Cheese Tasting for Sleeper passengers! :)

In addition to advice from others, be aware your Breakfast the day you arrive in PDX comes in a box. The train splits at Spokane. The diner goes on the Seatlle segment.

On a positive not, you'll have some great scenery as you run alongside the Columbia River most of the morning while you have Breakfast either in your compartment (if on the left side) or the SSL.

Enjoy your trip!

Just to be certain you meant Portland, OR and not Portland, ME?
huh.gif

If Portland, OR (PDX), and you said you are moving, you can check 3 boxes (not exceeding 50 pounds each) free, plus check up to 3 more (again with the 50 pound limit per box) for $10 each. Plus your normal carry on baggage. Thus, you can move 6 boxes of stuff for $30 - much better than like UPS or a moving company!
smile.gif
And if someone else is traveling with you, that also have the 3 bags free and 3 addition for $10 each limit! So if there were 4, you could move 24 boxes for $120!
biggrin.gif

Also, if you are on train 27 from CHI to PDX, remember it is the last car on the train! You'll have to walk thru 2 coaches, the Sightseer Lounge and 2 more coaches every tine you go to or from the Dining Car!

Thanks, for all of this so far, I do in fact have a sleeper for the long leg, Chicago to Seattle. And I am an early riser, so im looking forward to those sunrises!

-muddy
Well ... if you are moving to Portland, maybe you don't want to go to Seattle - the train splits in Spokane and one part goes on to Seattle and the other part goes to Portland. Make sure you're booked on the right section...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back