Coast Starlight two diners today (12/23)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texline

Service Attendant
I noticed the NB CS today had a dining car in place of the PPC. Do they serve food and drink like the PPC or is it just for seeing the view. Is this the normal winter consist?

When they've replaced the PPC with a lounge car, they've kept the drink service at least. It's been fairly common this year. That's been my experience, anyway. They're not supposed to go to the shorter consist until next month, and I doubt they will. I'm booked on the CS next week, and it looks like it's packed – fares are about double what I usually pay, and all the bike slots are taken.

I would imagine, this is a complete guess, that because they offer a different travel experience for sleeping car passengers on the CS, they probably added the 2nd diner to replace the PPC to still provide the sleeping car only menu and wine tasting. I would guess that they will not let people just hang out in the second diner like a lounge car, so sleeping car passengers will probably have to share the SSL with the coach passengers. The only thing I would be upset about, if my guess is correct, is not having the nice swivel lounge chairs for sleeping pax like the PPC's have.

Correct me if I'm wrong please

Question ?? Does anyone know if the PPC out of service is just a minor repair or a major issue? These cars, unfortunately, seem to have more failures each year due to their age. My recent trip, the PPC out of LA had no AC in 1/2 of the car (swivel lounge seats), but people did still try to use the car despite being uncomfortable.

Today of the four(4) Coast Starlight sets, two(2) have a PPC, one(1) has a 33000 series, and one(1) has a 37000 series in the PPC position. That leaves three(3) PPC seeing the Michelin Man.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the official no PPC dates, I received an email from Amtrak that stated PPC would not be offered for January and February. I am booked on January 29 from EMY to LAX is why they sent me the letter. If I remember correctly the official dates are January 7 to March 1. Did say that there would be no substitute car but the regular SSL and Dining car would continue to be available.

Today of the four(4) Coast Starlight sets, two(2) have a PPC, one(1) has a 33000 series, and one(1) has a 37000 series in the PPC position. That leaves three(3) PPC seeing the Michelin Man.
are you suggesting they are going to the "Michelin Man" to be re-tired?

That is a good pun, sir.

Also, my trip in August didn't have a PPC, so I don't trust them anymore. However, the #11 we passed on Cuesta Pass had a PPC. So there. Bad luck.

I rode the Starlight twice in November and was lucky to have a PPC both times.

I'm not sure why sleeper passengers couldn't use the diner as a lounge? I would think that's the whole point... Use half the car for meal service, and half for lounge space. They could still offer the bar service... Everything needed is on a diner.

With PCC off, the consist also has one less SL, thus a shorter consist. With fewer passengers overall, management probably plans to have passengers used the DC and SSL like other western LD trains.

I believe I read somewhere that during the winter months Amtrak will run a PPC northbound out of LA on Fridays and southbound out of Seattle on Sundays.

I believe I read somewhere that during the winter months Amtrak will run a PPC northbound out of LA on Fridays and southbound out of Seattle on Sundays.
No mention of such one day a week PPC in my email I received from Amtrak stating no PPC January 7 to March 1.

Quoting from the email I received from Amtrak:

We are contacting you today to inform you that starting January 6 through March 1, 2016, the Pacific Parlour car will be removed from the Coast Starlight trains for maintenance. During this period, the Dining car and Sightseer Lounge car will continue to be available for passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back