Coast Starlight to Disneyland!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have been lurking for several months, reading just about every thread whether it pertains to my route or not. :) Thank you for all of the fantastic info, it will help me sound like much less of a newbie and definitely not like a noob. A ha ha.

Anyway, I'm taking the CS round trip from one end to the other in May with my five year old in a roomette. We have a transfer to the Surfliner to get to and from Anaheim but I consider that our backup plan. We'll probably get picked up by a friend in LA and driven to our hotel. We will probably ride it back to LA for the return though.

We are so excited! I am not sure I even need any further tips after reading through everything here. I just wanted to say hi and thanks! We are low maintenance, and plan to be good Amtrak travelers based on what I've read here. Expectations low, it is what it is, enjoy the journey. I also have a remarkably well-behaved kid who isn't going to drive everyone nuts, so that's good. We're in room 2 both ways which is ideal, because I might get to go to the bathroom by myself. Woohoo!

Mainly, I see our challenges as:

I am gluten free and dairy free. (child is not) I'm sure there will be something I can eat, but there is wine available so I will manage with snacks if I have to.

Arriving at night in LA with a konked out sleeping five year old who does not wake up at all, for anything ... and trying to get onto the Surfliner and back off the surfliner into a cab to the hotel. We will have a stroller with us for DL, but gah. Hoping for that LA friend to be a hero.

Oh! Also, for sleeping ... I plan to take the top bunk because I don't want the child to fall out. But I am a tiny person, 5'1" and around 100#, and I'm wondering if we might be able to both sleep head to toe on the bottom bunk. We are both really good sleepers, even when sleeping in close quarters together, so I think this might work....?

Tips welcome, things to watch for as we go by, which side to be on the train when, where are the longer stops?

Meg

Meg, I like to say that the berths in a roomette are too small for two people to share if either of them is over four years old. You really have to see the rooms before you understand. They make the hotel I stayed in in London (I could stand in the center of the room and touch both walls at the same time) look like the Presidential Suite. They are quite comfortable, especially for an adult and a child, but they are TINY. Plan to sleep in that upper berth. There are steps to help you climb to it, and a net so that you don't accidentally roll out of it in the night. I slept comfortably in one when I weighed 275 lbs. (Of course, I had three years prior experience in an enlisted man's bunk in the Navy....)

Oh, about the Coast Starlight: I hope that you have a Pacific Parlor Car; it really enhances the experience. (I understand that they're temporarily out for refurb, but they may be back by May.) You will definitely want to grab a seat on the ocean side for the run along the coast between Vandenberg AFB and Oxnard...going northbound, get to the lounge ASAP after you board; the seats go fast!

One warning: If your train reservation is round trip (both the trips to Anaheim and return on the same reservation number) and if you skip the train between LAX and ANA, you will considered a "no show" on that train and your return trips will be canceled.

If you have two one-way reservations (each direction has a separate reservation number), then skipping the LAX-ANA train is no problem.

Oh, I can sleep up there fine and dandy. That's the plan. But the child and I have fallen asleep in a chair together. We can both fit in a sleeping bag in a pinch. If any parent and child could manage it, we could. :) Is there enough head space when the top bunk is down to sit up on the lower bunk? Like, for reading stories before bed? We like our snugglin and reading and lounging around before bed. I'm not sure I want to have the top bunk down until it is time for ME to go to sleep. Is it something that I can do myself, put the top one down when it's time? I think that is what I'm looking at. Her bedtime might not be MY bedtime. I can stay up and read with her feet in my space easy.

Maybe I'll make an Amtrak "bed" with tape on the floor and see how we'd fit. Hehe.

WHOA, really? They will cancel my return?? Even if I tell them what's up when I get to LA? That is good to know though. I will look into that further.

And I actually wrote to Amtrak to ask about the Parlor Car, and they assured me that it would be back on the route before May. For certain. We'll have fun regardless, but it looks like it'll be back on.

WHOA, really? They will cancel my return?? Even if I tell them what's up when I get to LA? That is good to know though. I will look into that further.
That's why veteran Amtrak riders generally book trips as two one-way tickets, rather than a round-trip. There is no impact on the fare

by booking it that way.

When I travel alone in a roomette, I leave the top bunk down and put my baggage up there, as do many other travelers. This leaves plenty of room to sit and read in the lower, although an adult cannot stand up under the top bunk, although there is a small amount of standing room by the door. ( and I do mean small! )

That is great about the bunks, thanks! And maybe we'll just adventure on all the way to Anaheim on Amtrak after all. That rule seems really strange though. Even if I'm RIGHT THERE and tell them that I'm not a no-show? They can't relay that on to the Surfliner conductor, or note it on my reservation? I'm not asking for a refund for it or anything, I just found an easier way to make that last leg .... at night with my three bags, umbrella stroller, and 40# dead-weight sleeping preschooler?

Would they cancel only the Surfliner portion of the return ticket, or the whole thing including the Coast Starlight?

I suppose I could call Amtrak and get some guidance, and see if they can change my ticket to two one-ways. But sheesh!

Glad you mentioned that though PRR60. Already potentially saved our bacon on the trip!

If you are a no-show for any segment, ALL future segments on that reservation will be cancelled! In your case, if you made 1 reservation for a round trip, your future segments would be the Surfliner and the CS on the return. That's why PRR60 suggested booking 2 one-way reservations - there would be no future segments on your first reservation. (On Amtrak - except for the Auto Train - the cost of a round trip is the same as 2 one-way reservations.)

Well, that's all good to know.

Man, we are so excited for the train! I made a huge picture-based scavenger hunt for her to do out the window. I hope there are other kids in the sleeper part of the train to hang out with. But really, two days of just hanging out with my little'un with no chores, no errands, nothing to do other than enjoy ourselves and anticipate 5 days at Disneyland. Ahhh! Can we go now? How about now?

Well, that's all good to know.

Man, we are so excited for the train! I made a huge picture-based scavenger hunt for her to do out the window. I hope there are other kids in the sleeper part of the train to hang out with. But really, two days of just hanging out with my little'un with no chores, no errands, nothing to do other than enjoy ourselves and anticipate 5 days at Disneyland. Ahhh! Can we go now? How about now?
You might run into some other kids in the lounge car. I've seen kids in there during the day. They're usually hanging out at the tables with coloring books and travel games (Uno, magnetic board games, checkers, etc.)

If you are a no-show for any segment, ALL future segments on that reservation will be cancelled! In your case, if you made 1 reservation for a round trip, your future segments would be the Surfliner and the CS on the return. That's why PRR60 suggested booking 2 one-way reservations - there would be no future segments on your first reservation. (On Amtrak - except for the Auto Train - the cost of a round trip is the same as 2 one-way reservations.)
Wow, I travel a lot of long distance on Amtrak and didn't know this! I usually catch an earlier Surfliner,so am not 'missing' one, but wow. I had an instance many years ago where I missed a Surfliner (I was on the platform, and the train stopped way away and I hustled down there but there were no doors open, so off it went) so had to take a cab to LAX to catch my LD train, and my reservation was intact..they did not cancel my LD portion.

Wow, I travel a lot of long distance on Amtrak and didn't know this! I usually catch an earlier Surfliner,so am not 'missing' one, but wow. I had an instance many years ago where I missed a Surfliner (I was on the platform, and the train stopped way away and I hustled down there but there were no doors open, so off it went) so had to take a cab to LAX to catch my LD train, and my reservation was intact..they did not cancel my LD portion.
This policy was created when eTicketing was expanded systemwide.

PS..I'm just now reading about this Parlour Car..first time on Starlight in May, so had no idea. Does it still offer dining and how does one sign up? I wish I could tell by my room number if I'm on the correct side side of the train for the stunning views. Many years ago, we did take this train from LA to San Jose, but in coach, so certainly didn't know about this then. I do remember the wonderful views of the ocean that went on for hours. Looking so forward to this route.

When they make meal reservations, the LSA will ask "Dining Car or PPC?" And you just tell him/her which you want. There is no way to know which way the sleeper will be facing before you board, you have a 50/50 chance of being on the "right side" but the PPC always has the rIght side! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am gluten free and dairy free. (child is not) I'm sure there will be something I can eat, but there is wine available so I will manage with snacks if I have to.
If you're gluten free and dairy free for actual medical reasons, bring your own food.
Diner food:

The omelette (no cheese) and scrambled eggs at breakfast are safe. It's just eggs, or vegetables if you get the vegetables.

The steak (no sauce), baked potato, and vegetable medley are safe. Again, they're pure ingredients.

The salads (no croutons, no chicken) are safe (but check the dressings).

The hot dog (on the children's menu) is the same as the one in the cafe car, so you can check the ingredients there.

Everything else may have dairy, or gluten -- or anything else under the sun -- in it, because nobody on board or at Amtrak's call centers has any idea what the ingredients are. Nobody who is seriously allergic to anything can eat anything else in the dining car, simply due to lack of *information*, which is seriously annoying, and I'm going to try to get this changed.

My fiancee is actually allergic to dairy (casein) so she's fairly careful. I have a *much worse* allergy to guar gum and have to be *very careful*; odds are I could eat anything on the menu, but I can't take the risk.

Cafe car food is all in packages so you can check the ingredients. So that helps.

Arriving at night in LA with a konked out sleeping five year old who does not wake up at all, for anything ... and trying to get onto the Surfliner and back off the surfliner into a cab to the hotel. We will have a stroller with us for DL, but gah. Hoping for that LA friend to be a hero.
Call a Red Cap.

Oh! Also, for sleeping ... I plan to take the top bunk because I don't want the child to fall out. But I am a tiny person, 5'1" and around 100#, and I'm wondering if we might be able to both sleep head to toe on the bottom bunk.
Yes, no problem whatsoever. My fiancee who's a bit larger than you usually puts several bags below her feet. If you're used to snuggling, there's room.

This policy was created when eTicketing was expanded systemwide.
Ah..Well, shoot. That's scary. I hadn't thought of just buying the sections separately before, but might now.

Anyway, I'm taking the CS round trip from one end to the other in May with my five year old in a roomette.
I'll be on the CS May 2, roomette #3. Any chance you have the same day? I'm gonna be making the "grand loop".......Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA, Texas Eagle LA to Chicago. I've taken the EB to Seattle many times, but always drove the coast to LA, and then the Eagle as the long way to get back to Chicago.

Have Fun!

More important than food allergies: be sure you've had your rubella vaccination before visiting Disneyland.

We are leaving Seattle on May 8th. I am already daydreaming of doing a big loop someday. :) As for our Measles vaccinations, I plan on getting the child's second round (booster) before we go, she needs it before fall for Kindergarten but we'll just go ahead and do it sooner. I was vaccinated in the 70's, and then again in college when I couldn't prove that I got it the first time. Even so, I'm going to get tested for titers and get another booster if I need one.

Thanks for the gluten free info! I don't have Celiac, just an intolerance. Not too keen on getting my digestive tract all inflamed on such a fun trip. I plan to pack lots of great food. A big omelette sounds wonderful, I'm a breakfast person. That will be my main hot meal I guess. Baked potato and veggies are good too. When I travel I tend to eat light anyway, I'll probably be too excited to eat much. :) Well, except for breakfast.

And yes, I would plan on red caps for help. I could also let her stay up as late as she can on the first night and try to engineer a night owl child for our arrival. That will help out at Disneyland too, for staying out late-ish.

Whoops. That was me just there, Hamster. This guest function throws me off! :)

I did make an account! :) Then it logged me out and I didn't notice, and I had a couple of posts as Guest_hamster before I figured out I wasn't logged in. Then I forgot again and happily typed in the wrong name entirely. My newbieness is showing! I'll try to keep me logged in properly from here out. At least I'm botching it all up in my own thread.

Still stewing over my Surfliner conundrum. I can't believe that if I walk right up to them and say HERE I AM, I am not a no-show, please don't cancel my ticket but I'm going to skip this one leg. IN PERSON. That they'd cancel my return ticket. There must be some difference between a legitimate no-show and someone who is asking, in person, ticket in hand, for a break/some flexibility.

But other than that, I'm finding that I can hardly stand the wait. I ride the Cascades all the time, and love it, but I think that I am about to become a big time train enthusiast. I wish I had started when I was younger and had more free time and disposable income. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back