coast starlight- pacific parlour car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s10mk

Train Attendant
Hello,

In may, I have a coach reservation on the coast starlight from sacremento to Los Angeles. It's my understanding that buisness class passengers have access to the Pacific parlour car. Would it be worth upgrading from coach to buisness class to have access to the ppc?

I don't know the access rules. Last time in the PPC they invited everyone to the wine tasting (coach included). The rest of the time it was just sleeper tickets in PPC.

I personally would upgrade just because I like the seats that swivel, the giant windows, the drinks and the alternative diner menu. I like being able to always find a seat. The car decor, the history of the car; what's not to like?

That is my wife's favorite car on her favorite train. Her new favorite drink "The Paloma" is one of the copper cup specialties.

If nothing else, sure beats a crowded coach. We stay in a sleeper but I walk through BC and never more than a dozen people in my travels.

Happy travels

You might look into upgrading to a roomette, either from Sacramento or from some point south. The upgrade price includes meals (as well as PPC access), and in the past I've found the upcharge from Jack London to LA to be surprisingly inexpensive.

As of today, the Roomette upcharges to LAX during May 2017 are:

• $148 from SAC, DAV and MTZ

• $114 from EMY, OKJ, SNS and SJO

• $89 from PRB and SLO

• $79 from SBA. . . . . .

PCC is for Sleepers only except the Wine Tasking. I would recommend the upgrade. I always take the roomette from San Francisco to LA or reverse, so much more relaxing and I can get done anything I need to do.

Back