Coast Starlight northbound - views from the train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, dinner at 4:30 sounds like a late lunch... Thanks

So the temps in MSP at the end of Feb could be interesting, but obviously the city doesn't just close down if it's really cold.

Over the last few days the UK has at times come to a standstill, at temps and snow levels that you people would laugh at. But we won't invest in real cold weather measures as it doesn't happen often enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
St. Paul can really be variable in late February. It can be a cold snap or be oddly warm (I think last year we had 50s in February? May be misremembering, though.

If you do need a winter coat, Target at that point will likely have some clearance sales, as will many other stores. There's a Target near the Hamline Ave. Green Line station - probably your best bet (the one on the 70 line would take you away from most of the tourist destinations.) T.J. Maxx is also a short walk from that same station. Sears will be a bit more expensive but is near-ish the Capitol/Rice St. Green Line station, and it's probably the only Sears that has a DMV inside of it! For thrift stores, there's a Goodwill a couple blocks from the Lexington Ave. station, although the St. Vincent de Paul thrift store is likely the same distance from one of the 54 bus line stops. There aren't really any department stores in downtown St. Paul; the Macy's closed a few years back and St. Paul is more of a retail/entertainment destination these days than a shopping destination.

Of course, there's always the option of going to the Mall to get a coat if you need one - it's easy to get to and there'll be ample selection there. The department stores generally are similarly priced to a department store elsewhere in the area - they don't seem to inflate the prices there, though I'm not sure whether clearance selection would be larger (because it's a busier store so they put more clearance there to move it) or smaller (because more people have went through the clearance items!)

That all said, it seems like MSP proper do have a bit of a heat island effect that makes it a few degrees warmer here than nearby towns outside of the metropolitan area. I remember hearing it was -3 this morning in St. Paul but -6 an hour and a half south in Rochester, MN.

One nice thing about buying clothes in Minnesota is that apparel is not subject to sales tax, so the price you see is what you pay. Most items in most states will have a markup (which varies by state and even within a state) added at the purchase point. If I recall correctly, the value-added tax in most countries is included in the marked price, which does seem more civilized.

willem

You are correct at least for the UK and I think for France too (may be Eu wide for all I know). When selling retail it is against the law to advertise a price + Tax, it has to be the total with tax price. when selling inter business it is almost always the cost + tax.

Just be aware, v v, that the reported temp is -3 Fahrenheit, or about -20 centigrade

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Thanks chakk, I'll cope but have to look out for Rosie.

We do have - 15° C on a regular basis for a couple of weeks at a time if we are in France in the winter, but that's easily manageable as we keep our home there at tropical temperatures and we can always pop inside. But being out in that sort of temperature for an hour or two continuously needs to be thought about re clothing.

I think our level of winter clothing for western Europe is not the same as worn in MSP, but we are on a long journey with this trip and by necessity have to travel light. We spend the last 2 weeks most of the time no further north than Los Angeles and ending in Miami, so a couple of very bulky winter coats probably wouldn't be the most appropriate attire.

I'm sure we'll work something out as there's always an answer.

-10 F forecast for the next three nights in Minneapolis. First day of the new year with temps getting above the freezing point is forecast for 16 January — rising to a +2 C in the afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

chakk, can you arrange a long range forecast for the 28 February for us? And while you are at it how late the 8 EB into MSP will be on the same day.

Only joking, but this is starting to sound as though it could be an adventure

The National Weather Service says February in Saint Paul is likely to be colder than normal, and also wetter. Note that the predictions do not address how much colder or wetter, just that temperatures have a moderate probability of being below average and precipitation has a moderate probability of being above average.

I'm with you re finding someone to give clothes to or just handing them in at a Thrift shop as it warms up on the journey, but as said we need to travel light so the amount of layers will be limited. What's the usual attire in Austin in March Bob?

I'm with you re finding someone to give clothes to or just handing them in at a Thrift shop as it warms up on the journey, but as said we need to travel light so the amount of layers will be limited. What's the usual attire in Austin in March Bob?
Shorts,Sandals and T-shirts!
If a late Norther happens to roll through,Jeans,a light jacket or Sweater and Sneakers are the Uniform of the Day!

Mike Armstrong published an excellent 44 minute HD video on YouTube in Feb. of 2018, about the Coast Starlight's run from LA to Seattle with extensive views of the train, filmed from the outside. It's on the YouTube CoasterFan2115 channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back