Coast Starlight L.A. to Oakland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaShe

Train Attendant
Going this Saturday! I was wondering if any of you have advice on what would be the best time for our lunch reservation in the PPC to make sure we're passing the best scenery while we're in there. Thanks! I know that the train arrives at and departs from Santa Barbara at 12:48 p.m.

Good evening,

I suggest 11;45hr and enjoy a leisurely lunch as the coast scenery lingers on a good while.

Smooth Rails

Cheers

Going this Saturday! I was wondering if any of you have advice on what would be the best time for our lunch reservation in the PPC to make sure we're passing the best scenery while we're in there. Thanks! I know that the train arrives at and departs from Santa Barbara at 12:48 p.m.
I would schedule lunch before or after the "best" scenery as there is no guarantee you'll get the seated on the coast side of the train. You can hang out in the lounge section of the PPC (where you get to pick the seats) for the scenery. This also gives you the option of moving around for sections where the inland side has a highlight. Your SCA or the lounge attendant can make time recommendations.

Have a great time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi VictoriaShe,

I went through this calculus a few weeks ago myself on my northbound CS trip from LA. I chose 11:45A in the PPC which had me seated before we arrived into Oxnard. As we winded up the coastline from Ventura to Santa Barbara, I was eating which made for a beautiful backdrop for lunch. I wrapped up lunch as we were stopped at SBA, and moved over to the swivel chairs for the subsequent ride from Isla Vista all the way through Vandenberg AFB. In hindsight, I think that timing worked out perfectly.

Have a great trip. It will be fun, fun, fun!

--CR&S

11:45 it is! Thanks, all. I wasn't sure I could hang out in the PPC during lunchtime; figured the car might be reserved for people eating at certain times, and didn't know there was a separate lounge section. Early lunch and then scenery sounds perfect.

Thank you!

11:45 it is! Thanks, all. I wasn't sure I could hang out in the PPC during lunchtime; figured the car might be reserved for people eating at certain times, and didn't know there was a separate lounge section. Early lunch and then scenery sounds perfect.
Thank you!

I look forward to riding it, for the second time, in May. (I rode the #11 SEA - SAC / this time #14 LAX - OKJ)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/set...57607362066481/

ENJOY

RF

Nice pics, RF! I can't wait! I'm going LAX to OKJ, too. Got a sleeper for access to the Parlour Car -- and just for the experience. Up Saturday, all of Sunday in SF, then back on Monday.

Thanks.... :)

V

Got a sleeper for access to the Parlour Car -- and just for the experience.
Believe me - you won't be the only one. Probably at least 50% of those leaving LAX in the sleepers are only taking a day trip (to like SLO, OKJ or SAC). With the included meals, it may about equal the cost of coach. Plus, you can use the PPC! (Coach passengers can not.)

Enjoy your trip! :cool:

Got a sleeper for access to the Parlour Car -- and just for the experience.
Believe me - you won't be the only one. Probably at least 50% of those leaving LAX in the sleepers are only taking a day trip (to like SLO, OKJ or SAC). With the included meals, it may about equal the cost of coach. Plus, you can use the PPC! (Coach passengers can not.)

Enjoy your trip! :cool:
Thank you, Traveler! Tomorrow at this time I'll be -- well, I don't know where I'll be! On a train, wine-tasting, perhaps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back